SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What are people's views on gun collecting/favorite handgun brand?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are people's views on gun collecting/favorite handgun brand? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don’t think of myself as a collector, but I do have enough to qualify on this poll. But it’s because I never sell a gun. I buy one, thinking it is the best tool for the particular job (CC in summer, CC in winter, bedside, etc.

Then one of two things happens:

1) I find out I was wrong, it’s not as good as I thought, or

2) it’s great, I was right, I use it in its intended role for some period of time, till I think maybe there is a new tool that is better, and I start over with the new tool.

I am fortunate that I don’t have to sell the old one to finance the new one, so I don’t. Not because I’m so in love with the old one. By definition I’ve moved on to the new one, and I rarely (often never) take the old one out of the safe again. But, I figure the money is either going to be in an account somewhere or in my safe. Some day what’s in the safe may be more desireable than what’s in the account, so I just never sell one. If I ever change my mind I can probably sell it then for more than I could now, so why not let it sit in the safe?

Only exceptions were a couple of pistols that truly were bad, i.e. didn’t work. I don’t bother keeping those.

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I think everyone has their favorites. I have several favorites. SIG, Glock and Smith and Wesson.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have enough guns to qualify as a collector but I think that a collection ought to have a focus. I have some milsurps, some revolvers, some semi-auto's, some hunting guns, a couple of hunting shotguns, etc., but they are a collection of things I like to shoot, not a collection of WWII weapons, or a collection of S&W revolvers, or a collection of a particular SIG or what have you.

Perhaps I am a "hobbyist"...

If I were to collect, I think it would be Mauser action hunting rifles, and 1911s, but I don't have the space or disposable resources to be serious in either at the moment.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I'm more of an accumulator, not really a collector, but enough to be at the above average level.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
as a collector, or accumulator, or just someone that buys the occasional firearm, here is my standard answer when asked how many I have,

(note, I did not click the poll)

I have more than some, less than others,

and that is a true , yet very vague answer

no real favorite brand, I have some of most listed,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I'm not a collector. I'm an accumulator/enthusiast. I have well over 30 firearms right now. Only a handful have any value to me beyond just being shooters. Mostly I own them for awhile, and when I get tired of them, I sell of trade them. And while I don't "collect," I do have some favorites I likely won't get rid of. It took me a long time to replace some guns I had when I was younger that I mostly regretted selling, and took too long to replace: my Ithaca 37s, my Remington 700s, my Marlin lever actions, some Ruger single actions, a Springfield Armory 1911A1 parkerized GI model, blued Colt Government .38 Super and .45 ACP. I can't see myself without those going forward. Same with my Ruger double action revolvers. They don't have much in terms of monetary value, but guns I loved that I took a long time to reacquire. The rest stay in my possession at my pleasure. Once that's gone, so is the gun.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
It seems like no one wants to be seen as a "gun collector" these days, like it's a bad thing.

No one? Proud collector, here. And shooter, too. There are simply no reasons to be one at the exclusion of the other.

Oh, and the so-called shooters should be thankful that there are collectors out there that kept their guns pristine all these years and subsequently sold their collection, so they (the shooters) can enjoy them. Wink

Same, for me. HKs and Berettas. Duplicates of many just because. My only vice and a hell of a lot of fun.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What KHO said.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I'm not a collector by any means and use all of the guns I own. That said I would be hard pressed to downsize below a dozen or so.

1. 22 pistol
2. 22 rifle
3. 9mm carry pistol
4. 9mm home defense pistol
5. 38 special carry revolver
6. 380 pocket pistol
7. 308 hunting rifle
8. 223 varmint rifle
9. 12 gauge home defense shotgun
10. 12 gauge hunting shotgun
11. AR-15
12. backup AR-15

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a collector in that I don't have any guns that I don't shoot. However when I buy new guns to try I don't get rid of any older guns so I have a few....

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post