SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365X ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365X ? Login/Join 
posted
I'm sure the P365 thread have been beaten to death. However, the one I haven't been able to find is swapping the long slide from the XL onto the regular 365. Has anyone done this for a concealed carry gun? If so, how was it for carrying IWB? Was there much improvement over the regular XL?

I'm considering this because the XL has:
-Red dot compatible (not sure I'm going this way, but figure to save some money just in case)
-flat trigger (haven't tried it yet, but 1000's of keyboard warriors can't be wrong)
-longer barrel should help hold it in the holster (that's been my experience with baby glocks vs midsized glocks)

And the P365 has a shorter grip which should make it easier to conceal. But wondering what others had found.

Thanks!

Posts: 25 | Registered: September 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO, if you are carrying the 365 or 365XL in a *good* AIWB holster that tucks the grip into the body good, I don’t think the grip length difference is enough to matter much to most people. Most good AIWB holsters also use a longer 365 holster than what is needed, to help tuck the pistol into the body. The XL will be a little easier to shoot and it’s recoil will be a little less snappy. Getting a good quick grip on the draw and changing mags quickly will also be easier with the XL. I also prefer having a manual thumb safety on my pistols. I will gladly sacrifice *maybe* a little bit of concealability to get the benefits of the longer slide and grip length.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I’m actually considering doing the opposite and finding a P365 XL grip module to put on my regular P365. I think the added length would make magazine changes easier and facilitate getting a more solid, consistent grip on the gun.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
I’m actually considering doing the opposite and finding a P365 XL grip module to put on my regular P365. I think the added length would make magazine changes easier and facilitate getting a more solid, consistent grip on the gun.

I agree that a longer grip would help, but I'd get the longer barrel to go with it if I did.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
IMHO, if you are carrying the 365 or 365XL in a *good* AIWB holster that tucks the grip into the body good, I don’t think the grip length difference is enough to matter much to most people. Most good AIWB holsters also use a longer 365 holster than what is needed, to help tuck the pistol into the body. The XL will be a little easier to shoot and it’s recoil will be a little less snappy. Getting a good quick grip on the draw and changing mags quickly will also be easier with the XL. I also prefer having a manual thumb safety on my pistols. I will gladly sacrifice *maybe* a little bit of concealability to get the benefits of the longer slide and grip length.

Good to know about the holsters and the setup. It may be easy enough to get a 365 holster and reform the end to accommodate the longer slide. For the safety, I've considered getting a manual safety lower to have a P365X with safety.

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is my preference, for the same reasons. I carry my original 365 with the 12 round mag, 99% of the time at 3o'clock, sometimes OWB and sometimes IWB. Rarely is it pocket or AIWB carried. When it was AIWB, or pocket (with a 10 round mag), it is comfortable and concealable. When the XL grip modules are released, I'll pick up a couple for my original models.

I tested the XL in my pocket and it's too long to completely conceal. Testing it AIWB, the extra slide length uncomfortably digs into my abdomen while seated.

The cost of milling for a RDS can vary significantly. A member here, Galloway Precision, has the lowest price I have found. He has done two for me and I'm extremely pleased. Turn around was about three weeks. The expense of milling would be more than the price difference between the two versions of the 365. But, if you are considering to primarily AIWB carry, getting the original model milled might be your most comfortable bet.

I have not found my RMSc red dots, or the 12 round mag, to be a concealment issue. With my leather OWB holster, the area that stands out the most, although it is minimal, is the retention strap. When I use my IWB kydex holster (no retention strap), the pistol disappears.

Holding and dry firing the XL, the trigger feels different. Actually firing the pistol, I didn't notice any difference or improvement over the curved trigger. IMHO, the flat trigger is purely a personal preference, as far as this pistol is concerned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10-7 leo,

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve thought about the exact same thing. I found this YouTube video a few weeks back that shows a guy swapping the slides and both configurations work.
https://youtu.be/78ZJolAuHc0

Maybe we should create a classifieds ad to create a trading platform for people wanting to swap slides.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw that video. Almost looks like I need one of each to swap slides and frames over. I've got a spare regular frame ordered, just wanted something to try out for length.

A trading place for this would be pretty useful.

posted Hide Post
I found some aftermarket slides. Based on the cost though to outfit the spare slide, it would be cheaper to buy a 365 and 365xl. Frown

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
quote:

This is my preference, for the same reasons. I carry my original 365 with the 12 round mag, 99% of the time at 3o'clock, sometimes OWB and sometimes IWB. Rarely is it pocket or AIWB carried. When it was AIWB, or pocket (with a 10 round mag), it is comfortable and concealable. When the XL grip modules are released, I'll pick up a couple for my original models.

I tested the XL in my pocket and it's too long to completely conceal. Testing it AIWB, the extra slide length uncomfortably digs into my abdomen while seated.

The cost of milling for a RDS can vary significantly. A member here, Galloway Precision, has the lowest price I have found. He has done two for me and I'm extremely pleased. Turn around was about three weeks. The expense of milling would be more than the price difference between the two versions of the 365. But, if you are considering to primarily AIWB carry, getting the original model milled might be your most comfortable bet.

I have not found my RMSc red dots, or the 12 round mag, to be a concealment issue. With my leather OWB holster, the area that stands out the most, although it is minimal, is the retention strap. When I use my IWB kydex holster (no retention strap), the pistol disappears.

Holding and dry firing the XL, the trigger feels different. Actually firing the pistol, I didn't notice any difference or improvement over the curved trigger. IMHO, the flat trigger is purely a personal preference, as far as this pistol is concerned.

All of these things considered, got a chance to handle an XL and 365 with a safety side by side. The XL had a grittier trigger in the take up and I found the longer grip still didn't fit my pinky. I couldn't tell a noticeable difference in the effect of the trigger shape. A flat one may be a nice addition down the road, but nothing I must have. I'd prefer the long slide with the short grip for IWB carry, but I'm going with the standard 365 for carry.

For the safety, I like the idea of having one, but couldn't manipulate it well enough to have confidence that I could drop the safety under stress. I'm inclined to go without one for simplicity on a carry gun.

Just my $0.02.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, longer grip makes more sense, probably why that is the most popular configuration from the manufactures!! Why stuff a long barrel down your pants with a stubby grip? Can’t handle the weapon nearly as well, lower capacity, and limited range of motion with longer barrel, don’t tell me about longer sight radius BS.

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sox:
Yeah, longer grip makes more sense, probably why that is the most popular configuration from the manufactures!! Why stuff a long barrel down your pants with a stubby grip? Can’t handle the weapon nearly as well, lower capacity, and limited range of motion with longer barrel, don’t tell me about longer sight radius BS.

I liked the balance better with the longer slide and shorter grip; and may get that setup down the road depending on how I'm planning to carry. Control isn't an issue with the short grip, I've had a Glock 27 and a Kahr PM-9 which are both about or more snappy than the 365 was. I found that double taps with the short P365 grip were fine. I'd put different sights on there, but that's easy enough to change out.

posted Hide Post
Wish I had known about the XL before I bought the original 365. The XL seems better balanced. Now waiting for them to come out with a thumb safety version.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Wish I had known about the XL before I bought the original 365. The XL seems better balanced. Now waiting for them to come out with a thumb safety version.

This, this all day long and twice on Sundays.

Shot one at my local Point Blank this weekend. I almost walked right up to the counter and bought one.

Thankfully, the better half was around to remind me we had other things to buy, and I wanted a manual safety one anyway...

They really are nice shooters.

Also, trivia point that this thread finally motivated me to look up...

Pistol Barrel Length Capacity
P365XL 3.7" 12-15
P228 3.9" 13-15
PX4C 3.24" 15
M&P9 2.0C 4" 15
Glock 19 4.02" 15

The XL is getting into the Compact size class in terms of barrel length and magazine capacity stats, while staying at subcompact/micro class width.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Covert_Carry:
... got a chance to handle an XL and 365 with a safety side by side. The XL had a grittier trigger in the take up ...

Several of my 365s had gritty triggers out of the box. After several hundred times dry firing them, pulling out the FCU and adding additional grease in certain areas, the action is dramatically smoother.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Since you put the dot sight on, have you done any accuracy testing, off of sandbags, to see just how accurate it is?

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

I tried the thumb safety on the 365. It was too hard to move while in the store for me to have any confidence about moving it during a stressful situation. I may get a safety equipped 365 in hopes that someone makes a larger safety lever for it, just to have it for AIWB carry.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Covert_Carry:
... got a chance to handle an XL and 365 with a safety side by side. The XL had a grittier trigger in the take up ...

Several of my 365s had gritty triggers out of the box. After several hundred times dry firing them, pulling out the FCU and adding additional grease in certain areas, the action is dramatically smoother.

Good to know. This was just side by side in the store. I liked the trigger on a 365 that I demoed at a range.

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RH45:
Since you put the dot sight on, have you done any accuracy testing, off of sandbags, to see just how accurate it is?

I haven't done a formal test, but I suspect it would produce approximately 2" groups. I base this upon the results I obtained with the lima365 which was on the pistol before I went with the RMSc. Those tests were done at 25 yards using a rest.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
I currently have a Sig P220 on my belt, but that's just for giggles. But my primary carry gun is the P365. If we try to remove the Glock vs. Sig thing from the equation - which is not really possible - in my view the P365 is the clear winner for EDC. It has the same capacity as the 26, but in a package that is much easier to carry. I can stick the P365 in a G42 holster and drop it in my pocket, or carry it on my belt under a t-shirt. The 26 is just plain chunkier, and by a substantial margin. Now, if the ergos or trigger of the 26 suit you best, then that's an objective reason to choose it over the P365. But in my view, the general rule is that the P365 is easier to carry. There is just no question that this is the case. And as we carry our guns much and shoot bad people (virtually) never, we may want to bias our analysis toward ease of carry and away from shootability, but that is obviously a personal choice. But the more one carries, and I've been doing it 25 years, the more ease of carry supplants shootability in my book. And as between the P365 and 26, I think they are more or less equal in the shootability department. Both are pinkie danglers unless you add the 12 round mag.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post