SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    4” Nickel 586
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4” Nickel 586 Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
The pawn shops have been dry for months, stopped by a local shop on the way home and found this gem.
Had ugly pachmayrs on it, just happened to have a set of K/L frame sq butt ivory grips in the safe!
Have tried them on several guns, this might be the best match so far.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
You lucky dog. Beautiful.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s Really nice.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks beautiful. I thought all of the 586's were blued......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It looks beautiful. I thought all
of the 586's were blued......

Nope, they are out there...not sure of the percentages,but the nickle ones pop up less frequently than the blued.

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Nice find! Cool
Which iteration is it: no dash or dash-___? Is it M-stamped?

Why did S&W make a 586 nickel when they had the 686 at the same time? Is there any benefit to nickel-plated over stainless steel?

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
No dash, has the M stamp
Times early, and lock up is vault tight

--Riff Raff--

posted Hide Post
Very nice look, indeed.

Definitely like the look of nickel over the scruffy, "distressed" look that S&W uses for their base stainless finish on the 686, which only makes me think that S&W 'cheaped' out during the finishing process and decided to forego a step or two before boxing it up.

Dangerous...that thinking stuff. But that scratchy finish annoyed me so much for looking so half-assed, low-rent ghetto that I wound up hand polishing my 686 out, any possible hit to 'value' for being non-original be damned, as if 686-6s were somehow rare (they aren't). Looks a hell of a lot better and not just to me, as mankind intends properly finished stainless steel to look like.

Rant off.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That distressed look is actually called a satin finish. Colt and Ruger do it as well. There were a number of 686s with a blued finish also. Never owned a nickle revolver but have had a bunch of L frames with different barrel lengths, sights, triggers and, hammers. It does require some talent at the buffing wheel to apply either satin or bright polish to any metal. I too had a 686 which started out satin but got bright polished. It was a 6" gun tuned by Bill Davis and had a matching snubby which my friend would not part with. If I ever owned a nickle S&W it would be a N in 45 Colt. I really like the ivory grips OP.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
See its frames high edges 12131 at its hammer and top strap. Nickle is worn. Still a nice wheel gun.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had a 6 inch nickel 586, they do exist, but not a lot of them.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
See its frames high edges 12131 at its hammer and top strap. Nickle is worn. Still a nice wheel gun.

Reflections from the pool table light, no wear on this one

--Riff Raff--

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK. One of the nicest Ls I have owned was a 6" 586 with round butt. GunBroker purchase.

posted Hide Post
I think it was ZZ Top that said
Every girls crazy bout shiny six gun.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Nice find! Cool
Which iteration is it: no dash or dash-___? Is it M-stamped?

Why did S&W make a 586 nickel when they had the 686 at the same time? Is there any benefit to nickel-plated over stainless steel?

People like different things is all. I myself detest stainless and have never had issue with rust on blued guns and like the looks of a blued gun with some wear and miles on it. I do not currently own any stainless gun and unless it is something hard to find ( like a 3” K frame, which is found far more commonly than the blued versions- though both are not easy to locate)
I don’t have much use for an L frame over a K but would pick up the hard to find 581 or even 681 if I ever come across one.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Schwing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Winning, nice score!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I had a 4" Nickel 586. It was a great shooter.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Sweet!!! One of my all time favorite guns.

Now you need a T Tyler Grip.

Give me your address and we'll take care of that.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
One of the best shooting revolvers I own is a 4" 586 Nickel no dash. My MIL was a dispatcher for local Sheriff Dept. When they shifted to autos she bought one of the service revolvers , I ended up with it and it really is a great shooter. I owned both of these at one time, (both 586 no dash) but now only have the Nickel.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post