SIGforum
4” Nickel 586

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5800049274

July 30, 2020, 08:59 PM
ElKabong
4” Nickel 586
The pawn shops have been dry for months, stopped by a local shop on the way home and found this gem.
Had ugly pachmayrs on it, just happened to have a set of K/L frame sq butt ivory grips in the safe!
Have tried them on several guns, this might be the best match so far.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--
July 30, 2020, 09:23 PM
1KPerDay
You lucky dog. Beautiful.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
July 30, 2020, 09:40 PM
leonidas211
That’s Really nice.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
July 30, 2020, 09:42 PM
jimmy123x
It looks beautiful. I thought all of the 586's were blued......
July 30, 2020, 10:34 PM
ElKabong
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It looks beautiful. I thought all
of the 586's were blued......

Nope, they are out there...not sure of the percentages,but the nickle ones pop up less frequently than the blued.

--Riff Raff--
July 31, 2020, 12:14 AM
iron chef
Nice find! Cool
Which iteration is it: no dash or dash-___? Is it M-stamped?

Why did S&W make a 586 nickel when they had the 686 at the same time? Is there any benefit to nickel-plated over stainless steel?
July 31, 2020, 06:17 AM
ElKabong
No dash, has the M stamp
Times early, and lock up is vault tight

--Riff Raff--
July 31, 2020, 08:42 AM
monoblok
Very nice look, indeed.

Definitely like the look of nickel over the scruffy, "distressed" look that S&W uses for their base stainless finish on the 686, which only makes me think that S&W 'cheaped' out during the finishing process and decided to forego a step or two before boxing it up.

Dangerous...that thinking stuff. But that scratchy finish annoyed me so much for looking so half-assed, low-rent ghetto that I wound up hand polishing my 686 out, any possible hit to 'value' for being non-original be damned, as if 686-6s were somehow rare (they aren't). Looks a hell of a lot better and not just to me, as mankind intends properly finished stainless steel to look like.

Rant off.

-MG
July 31, 2020, 08:57 AM
David Lee
That distressed look is actually called a satin finish. Colt and Ruger do it as well. There were a number of 686s with a blued finish also. Never owned a nickle revolver but have had a bunch of L frames with different barrel lengths, sights, triggers and, hammers. It does require some talent at the buffing wheel to apply either satin or bright polish to any metal. I too had a 686 which started out satin but got bright polished. It was a 6" gun tuned by Bill Davis and had a matching snubby which my friend would not part with. If I ever owned a nickle S&W it would be a N in 45 Colt. I really like the ivory grips OP.
July 31, 2020, 08:59 AM
David Lee
See its frames high edges 12131 at its hammer and top strap. Nickle is worn. Still a nice wheel gun.
July 31, 2020, 09:09 AM
maxwayne
I had a 6 inch nickel 586, they do exist, but not a lot of them.
July 31, 2020, 09:14 AM
ElKabong
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
See its frames high edges 12131 at its hammer and top strap. Nickle is worn. Still a nice wheel gun.

Reflections from the pool table light, no wear on this one

--Riff Raff--
July 31, 2020, 09:25 AM
David Lee
OK. One of the nicest Ls I have owned was a 6" 586 with round butt. GunBroker purchase.
July 31, 2020, 04:25 PM
bendable
I think it was ZZ Top that said
Every girls crazy bout shiny six gun.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
July 31, 2020, 04:41 PM
captain127
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Nice find! Cool
Which iteration is it: no dash or dash-___? Is it M-stamped?

Why did S&W make a 586 nickel when they had the 686 at the same time? Is there any benefit to nickel-plated over stainless steel?

People like different things is all. I myself detest stainless and have never had issue with rust on blued guns and like the looks of a blued gun with some wear and miles on it. I do not currently own any stainless gun and unless it is something hard to find ( like a 3” K frame, which is found far more commonly than the blued versions- though both are not easy to locate)
I don’t have much use for an L frame over a K but would pick up the hard to find 581 or even 681 if I ever come across one.
July 31, 2020, 08:40 PM
jhe888
Schwing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
July 31, 2020, 08:56 PM
P-220
Winning, nice score!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
July 31, 2020, 09:48 PM
Texas Bob C.
I had a 4" Nickel 586. It was a great shooter.
August 01, 2020, 06:49 AM
rbert0005
Sweet!!! One of my all time favorite guns.

Now you need a T Tyler Grip.

Give me your address and we'll take care of that.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.
August 01, 2020, 07:00 PM
got2hav1
One of the best shooting revolvers I own is a 4" 586 Nickel no dash. My MIL was a dispatcher for local Sheriff Dept. When they shifted to autos she bought one of the service revolvers , I ended up with it and it really is a great shooter. I owned both of these at one time, (both 586 no dash) but now only have the Nickel.

JEREMIAH 33:3