SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New S&W Combat Magnums
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New S&W Combat Magnums Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd rather see a 4" barrel. 2" on a K frame doesn't make much sense to me.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
They do make both in a 4", those were the first to come out. I was thinking real hard about one of the new 2.75" 66's but yesterday I ran across a great 686-4 2.5" for a decent price so the new 66 will have to wait.

The 66 has been beefed up to handle a steady diet of magnums. The forcing cone no longer has the flat at the bottom like other K frames and it (along with the M69 L frame) has a ball detent lockup.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W are such a bunch of dipshits. They refuse to show the left side of the gun because it has the lock hole so they clearly know it isn't a selling point, yet they continue to have them in the majority of their lineup. Go find an older one without is my two cents. Maybe its beefed up and maybe its not but if I was going to feed a steady diet of magnums I would go L frame. What am I saying? I did go L frame! I do like the K frames though, my 65 is a favorite.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yeah we don't like 'em but I also kinda think that they also don't fail nearly as much as the internet wants us to believe. Except maybe in J-frames, where most of the horrors seem to center around.

As for the 66 Combat Magnum; I do like the aesthetic proportions of the L-frame, even with the short barrel. There was a 3" in our shop a while back, and it was all I could do to resist its beguiling temptation. A 1/4" less barrel wouldn't bug me; I carry my 3" GP100 in the back country as it stands now.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! I completely agree! Every time I see one posted I think the exact same thing. They KNOW people hate them so they refuse to show it! To each their own, but I refuse to by any gun with a built in lock. And I've been boycotting S&W since they added them, apparently my lack of purchasing has not swayed them yet! lol

Posts: 286 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Internal lock and two-piece barrel. No thanks.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I used to be an absolute "no lock" guy but I gave up. A few reasons. First the prices of similar no lock models are just getting stupid. I was about to buy the new 66 or the 686+ when I ran across the no lock 686-4 for an excellent price (re, not the stupid prices being asked on line). Second if somehow you do split the forcing cone of your K frame magnum good luck finding a replacement barrel. It will have to be from online somewhere. And lastly, I buy guns to shoot. To enjoy at the range. They make me happy. To limit myself to only no lock versions, many of which are just getting hard to find and I sure as hell don't want to break, I am limiting my enjoyment.

I've never owned a 44 but the 2.75" M69 has really caught my attention. It just looks fun.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimber just came out with a very nice revolver. Stainless, great sights, great trigger, recessed chambers, and no lock. It's bout the size of an old dick special, and a six shooter.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I want to like the newer Smith and Wessons because some of the ideas are pretty cool, but I just can't. I prefer blued steel and wood grips on a revolver and the lock is just horrible. Even if you ignore it or remove it, the shape of the frame in that area is not the same as the older guns. I don't feel the pre-lock guns are even that much more expensive than the newer ones, and they will definitely hold their value better.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
No problem with several hundred rounds of full house .357 rounds through my "lock" 649. Non issue for me. I would not hesitate to buy a "lock" revolver in the future.

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I used to be an absolute "no lock" guy but I gave up. A few reasons. First the prices of similar no lock models are just getting stupid. I was about to buy the new 66 or the 686+ when I ran across the no lock 686-4 for an excellent price (re, not the stupid prices being asked on line). Second if somehow you do split the forcing cone of your K frame magnum good luck finding a replacement barrel. It will have to be from online somewhere. And lastly, I buy guns to shoot. To enjoy at the range. They make me happy. To limit myself to only no lock versions, many of which are just getting hard to find and I sure as hell don't want to break, I am limiting my enjoyment.

I've never owned a 44 but the 2.75" M69 has really caught my attention. It just looks fun.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

I agree about buying guns to shoot and make me happy. Every time I see an S&W with a lock, I get unhappy. I will never buy one. I have both a 2&1/2" and a 3" pre lock Model 66. I do not shoot either one that much. But I do shoot one of my Model 27s frequently.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just be patient and ready to pounce on a pre lock. It will show up. I saw a nice S&W 19-4 at a LGS recently for $499. More than it would have been a few years ago, but not bad.

And here's a crazy thought, if the ILS bothers you so much, go Ruger! You can find a lot of the Service, Speed and Security Six models at good prices and their triggers do get better with use. My 2 3/4 Police Service Six has as good a trigger as my S&W model 10-6. And is way more durable.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if these new model 66s will hold up better to 357 magnum use. I see there is no flat spot in the forcing cone. I had model 66 four inch years ago that had extreme top strap cutting from the flame of lighter loads. I love the feel of K frames.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
There are multiple reports, some with pictures, over on the s&w forum of people getting peppered with bits of lead and jacket material when firing 158 grain 357s out of these new "model 66s".

Seems the forcing cones were not cut or finished properly. Not surprised given the inability of the current company posing as s&w to even put barrels on their revolvers properly.

They can call it whatever they want, but that POS doesnt even look like a REAL 66. And I have a lot of time behind real Combat Magnums. No need or desire to purchase one of those overpriced knock offs.

Oh, and they can shove their locks and two piece barrels too. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Internal lock and two-piece barrel. No thanks.

agreed

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a chance to handle a new 2.75 inch Model 66 and it was sweet. I thought the price was high considering it's more than a 686.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post