SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Can I just drop in a 9mm barrel to convert P239 from .40?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I just drop in a 9mm barrel to convert P239 from .40? Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted
I've heard different things, and my P239 DAO is one of my main carry pistols. If I drop in a Barsto 9mm, I've heard that for the reliability you need in a carry pistol, the ejector needs to be re-alignied by a gunsmith. Is this so? For carry-level reliability, are there other changes needed?

This pistol has had trigger work by Bruce, and it is slick and crisp. I love the gun in every way, except that I would like it to be a 9mm.

I'd appreciate your informed opinions.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting one of my 357SIG P239s with a factory threaded barrel (no need for Bar-Srto) and no other changes for several years now

Reliability is 100% with or without the can

Several of our Forum brothers all have had the same experience

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have used a factory 9mm barrel in my P239/40 without issue and so have others here. You have to decide if that is suitable for your requirements, however.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often will purchase a full 9mm slide to accompany my 40sw original pistol so that I can swap. Or you can just get a conversion barrel.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just me, but for carry level, I would get a whole 9mm slide and mags. Sure, the breech face is only a little bigger and sure the feed lips and mag springs are close enough and sure the recoil spring probably works and sure people do it all with no problems. If they were completely reliable that way, I think SIG would simplify production and just make a one-size-fits-all. That's just me though. It's like swapping an engine on a car and not matching it with a proper trans. And brakes. And probably suspension.

If you give it a go, just make sure you put a lotta rounds through it to ensure it works for you.

Another option is buying a 9mm one and swapping the trigger parts. Then sell the .40. Or keep it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
I often will purchase a full 9mm slide to accompany my 40sw original pistol so that I can swap. Or you can just get a conversion barrel.

I called SIG to purchase a new slide (actually, a slide assembly) for my P238, and they said they said that they couldn't sell slide assemblies. Did SIG give you a hard time?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8853 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See my post on using the Sig OEM 9mm barrel in a P239 .40. Many of us on the SF have successfully done this:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...980041024#5980041024

I have my own viewpoint on "carry-level reliability". My P239 .40 with the Sig OEM 9mm barrel, .40 slide and RS is 100% reliable. Is a true .40-9mm conversion (Bar-Sto) going to be MORE reliable than 100%?

I'm not knocking the opinion that other changes should be made to make the owner feel comfortable for carry use. However, whether it's a conversion or original configuration, the primary issue is whether it's reliable or not. Hell, a lot of unmodified quality guns sometimes don't function 100% reliably. It's the owner's responsibility to shoot any carry gun enough to have confidence in it.

Note that with a Bar-Sto semi-fit 9mm conversion barrel, the chances of a proper fit are 70%. My understanding is that it is fairly easy to fit it yourself, if necessary.

http://www.barsto.com/FAQs.cfm

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I purchased at Bar Sto conversion barrel and had it fit by a gunsmith. It's been 100% reliable for around 2000 rounds. The only problem has been all the bullets tend to go through the same hole in the target. Damn fine shooting gun!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I did not try to purchase a new slide.

What I might do, is take the 239 out of the carry line up (which consists of the 226 Legion, 9mm, and my Glock 17) and see how it performs at the range with a 9mm dropped in. If it is fine for a couple of thousand rounds-- as some above have said is true of their conversions-- I will have confidence in it. As Nipper said, above, any gun can at some time not function perfectly.

Sig 9mm barrel is $189 from Sig. Bar-Sto conversion is $225. To me, the price difference is not really significant. Which should I go with, Sig or Bar-Sto?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: justjoe,

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Note that with a Bar-Sto semi-fit 9mm conversion barrel, the chances of a proper fit are 70%. My understanding is that it is fairly easy to fit it yourself, if necessary.

http://www.barsto.com/FAQs.cfm

You misunderstand the situation when a Bar-Sto conversion barrel needs fitting:

"If you cannot get the slide assembly locked up on the frame then we recommend you either send it to us or take it to an experienced gunsmith. You will need to send the whole pistol for fitting if you send it to us. We ask for a fitting fee of $65 and the return shipping of $60.00 to $85.00 approx. for the complete pistol. When shipping anything to Bar-Sto, please include all your contact information and a note stating what you would like done.

REMEMBER WE WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO THE BARREL BY SOMEONE ELSE BECAUSE OF IMPROPER FITTING OR MACHINING! YOUR BARREL IS EXPENSIVE, BE SURE YOUR GUNSMITH IS FULLY QUALIFIED OR SEND IT TO US. ANY WARRANTY WILL BE VOIDED IF MACHINED ON OR DAMAGE BY SOMEONE ELSE OTHER THAN OUR COMPANY!"

I've owned a Bar-Sto P239 .357 SIG - > 9mm conversion barrel that won't fit for over 10 years not knowing what to do with it, while a factory 9mm barrel works perfectly in my .357 SIG P239 using a lighter spring. It would cost as much as the barrel cost to send it back to have it fitted. How I can I sell it for anything over scrap metal value? "NOS .357 SIG - > 9mm Bar-Sto conversion barrel! After $150 in shipping and fitting fees will likely work as well as a factory SIG P239 9mm barrel! Bids start at postage and handling." (That's a joke, not a solicitation.)

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post