SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So what are your shooting excuses?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what are your shooting excuses? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I get that some of you run eleventy billion rounds weekly or simply have the innate talent of Jerry Miculek with the ghost of Bob Munden guiding your hand but alas.....that is not me.

I got out to the range recently and while I wasn’t a danger to others I certainly wasn’t cloverleafing so to speak.

Now I was “at 15 yards” and “it was truly windy as all get out” and “I was shooting pretty fast” as “I was on lunch and had to get back to work”. Sigh......Frown. I know I suck but for those of you in the same boat......what are your “excuses”.

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
When the importance of accurate bullseye shooting was its end results on paper, I may as well have stayed home due to too much caffiene. Didnt need a excuse for my front sight trembling.. Big Grin. To contrast this, I found that I love garlic and munching down a couple cloves would smooth out my engine nicely. This also showed on paper. So, either too much caffiene or too little garlic.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The gun is more accurate than I am.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't need an excuse.

I can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Which will really suck, if I'm attacked by a barn.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
"It's combat accuracy...if you put them all in the same hole, it creates a smaller wound channel, less tissue disruption, and slower exsanguination!"

I like to keep my speed shooting to steel, so I (and others) can't see how big the groups are Big Grin.

The "I need to warm up" excuse used to be a big one for me, but one of the instructors from another agency in my county has been pushing the idea of "cold start" lately. Your first shot of the day out of the holster is the one that counts the most. You don't get a chance to shoot a mag or two and warm up before a gunfight...why not take that into account on the range? With ammo availability being what it is, I've been shooting fewer rounds in a range session, but really putting a lot of emphasis on those first few, and it definitely builds confidence when you realize you can make good hits right out of the holster.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
This is the best I have ever done, but I really have to try, I like to shoot fast and I'm sure thats part of the problem, more of an instinct then taking my time and aiming. I guess I just have to get into the zone.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I just only need to be good enough with the pistol in order to get me to my rifle, right?"

"Can't aim worth a darn with my queasy stomach. Must've been the (fill in the blank) that we had before we got here."

"You mean we're not shooting just to waste ammo?"

"This paper punching is for the birds. I prefer and respond to the ringing of steel plates. That immediate auditory gratification is what I absolutely LIVE for..."

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to use the old standby of “sun was in my eyes” or the always popular “heavy wind just kicked up”.

But lately, I’ve been going with “forgot to calculate the corialis effect properly for the 124 gr 9mm at 15 yards”.

Makes me sound smarter. Still a bad shot. Just a smart bad shot!

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
"combat accuracy"

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Shooting clays separate the men from the boys. I'm a boy. No excuses I suck at it. But it's damn fun when you do hit one!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Shooting clays separate the men from the boys.

No doubt about it. When my son was at home, he'd clean the clock. When I shot, I wasn't sure if there was any bird shot in the cartridge. It had to be going somewhere.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t actually think that’s bad shooting. Putting it in proper context, the distance was 15 yards, double that of the majority of handgun engagements, and the OP said he was shooting “fast”, which I know is a subjective term, but is also different for everyone based on their ability.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
When engaging in the shotgun sports, when ever I miss a clay, or a live bird, I simply point at my target and scream out ... "Let that be a lesson to ya" !!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nephew used to blame “this cheap ammo my dad bought”.

We pointed out that it seemed accurate in the same pistol when his dad used it. Big Grin

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
I used to use the old standby of “sun was in my eyes”...

I still do when using the bench rest range. It faces directly east and I always shoot first thing in the morning. On the bright side (get it?), we have a nice shelter with rafters and we can put large pieces of cardboard to block the sun.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
For the life of me I just can't understand the logic of shooting 25, 50, or 100 rounds into the same paper.

I rarely shoot more than 10 rounds into any target.
Paper is cheap. I use computer paper and put multiple 1" dots on a sheet and have at it.

I find it keeps me focused.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
See.. Thats what happens when you don’t keep up on your practice. Same excuse for golf

Dave

Posts: 467 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I'm not getting younger and I don't find hundred dollar bills laying about very often.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am no Spring Chicken and I am doing well just to be here.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Damn dry eyes. Makes everything blurry.

I gotta get some new shooting glasses, these are all scratched up.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post