SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So what are your shooting excuses?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what are your shooting excuses? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am old

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
For the life of me I just can't understand the logic of shooting 25, 50, or 100 rounds into the same paper.

I rarely shoot more than 10 rounds into any target.
Paper is cheap. I use computer paper and put multiple 1" dots on a sheet and have at it.

I find it keeps me focused.

Yep.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I get lucky.

1000 rounds at 15 yards. Razz

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:

Well, chit! Next thing we won’t be able to buy are targets; look at toilet paper and paper towels.
Thanks for doing your part to prevent a run on that form of paper.

Big Grin
(I chuckled out loud.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes I get lucky.

Yeah, but were you aiming at the X-ring? Razz Wink

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's combat accuracy...if you put them all in the same hole, it creates a smaller wound channel, less tissue disruption, and slower exsanguination!"

That is......BRILLIANT!!! Smile

I also like the “coriolis effect on 9mm”. Love it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I rarely shoot for groups. The kind of shooting I do is more rapid hits on target. As long as I'm hitting the scoring area, I'm good.

When I DO shoot for groups its usually either a new gun that I want to make sure it shoots to point of aim or a bet of some sort is involved. I don't shoot anywhere near as tight as I used to. I blame a combination of old eyes, old hands, and the simple fact that I don't practice that way anymore.

I just got a very nice Browning Buckmark. Maybe once 22LR is easily available again I will address that flaw.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
It's the new fangled guns they are making nowadays. They all have fuzzy sights.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Underwear's too tight.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My best excuse is actually true: My vision is getting poor. I need to spend more time learning the red dot.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes I get lucky.

So Patrick - At today's prices, you're telling me it cost you $5-600 to punch that little hole?

PS - Love that Navy model!

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Those targets don't look too bad for a combat handgun.

quote:
For the life of me I just can't understand the logic of shooting 25, 50, or 100 rounds into the same paper.

Paper is cheap. I use computer paper and put multiple 1" dots on a sheet and have at it.

Bob

For punching holes in paper at the indoor range I like the Dot Torture target at 3 and 7 yards.
These days that's about $30 in ammo per sheet if you do the whole 50 rounds.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was in the service I started writing in a green book (those of you know what I’m talking about—-log books etc) if excuses for bad shooting, below is a small list of what I wrote:

ammo is bad
    It’s cold
    It’s hot
    My glasses are fogged up
    We never wear glasses on boardings
    This life jacket is in the way
    We never wear life jackets while doing boardings
    (We always take off our life jackets while doing boardings)
    You didn’t go over that in the training
    I can’t see my front sight (he wasn’t wearing his glasses)
    These sights are off
    I’m tired
    Today’s not my range training day
    I don’t like guns
    I only joined for the college money
    The mosquitoes are terrible
    The black flies are terrible
    It’s raining ( I call the line at lightening)
    It’s snowing
    It’s too windy

I could go on....

The best was when someone would complain about their sights and the other GM would stand right next to him with the suspect M9/1911 and put five rounds into the three inch scoring guy on the top left of the target....hahahahahahaha

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solar flares and sunspots coupled with the innate peaceful nature of my DNA have conspired against me.

Posts: 75 | Registered: August 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My excuses.......old hands and old eyes!!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
After years of shooting with better shooters my only answer is " I suck"

This works when you shoot with others outside your circle when bets are placed and you " get lucky"

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
7 yards its carpal tunnel.

At greater distances its “ho-lee-fuk do I need glasses.”

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

Yep.

In my classes, we shoot 2-300 rounds on each target without taping.

People that have to change targets constantly are results oriented in training. They don’t pay attention to the process. 2-300 rounds on a target shows you consistency in the process. If you focus on the process, the results take care of themselves.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any. I accept my physical limitations and do the best I can. As long as I can get fist sized groups at 15 yards, it's good enough.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Shooting clays separate the men from the boys. I'm a boy. No excuses I suck at it. But it's damn fun when you do hit one!

16 years in my club and I've never tried it. Our then club President offered his Koler to try. the fact the stock was 3500 scared me away.

We started five stand which looks like a lot of fun. One day as the club has several loaner guns .

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post