SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So what are your shooting excuses?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what are your shooting excuses? Login/Join 
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
For the life of me I just can't understand the logic of shooting 25, 50, or 100 rounds into the same paper.

Absolutely agree. A while back while volunteering as an RO at my club's open shoot I'd watch some come in and put 50 rounds into one small target. After a while it was a large hole. They learned nothing from the time spent.

A few years back one of the Sig Academy instructors developed a great target geared for fifty rounds. It gave some time to every area of shooting. Weak , strong, double tap and controlled pair.

They are used at some of the Sig charity events. Best instance was when Phil Strader and Max Michel were in a shoot off and they though I was going to score. Both are incredibly nice people but I wasn't going to make the call they missed.

Tetreau Warm up Target

https://shop.actiontarget.com/...-training-target.asp

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
My glove was to big, the sun was in my eyes, and I tripped on a rock...oh, and I haven't practiced enough.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
If my first round is in the 10 ring, I stop shooting.

Target looks good and saves on ammo.

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
“That’s exactly what I was trying to do. Today’s drill was, as accurately as possible mimic the exact pattern of a 12 gauge with birdshot.”

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
If my first round is in the 10 ring, I stop shooting.

Target looks good and saves on ammo.

At a range day last year a couple of deputies were hanging around after the stage was finished. One of them had a P227 that he wanted me to try, so I took it out on the range and started plinking the steel gong at what I though was a reasonable distance (35-40 yards). One of the other instructors started blowing me shit and told me he bet I couldn't hit it from the back of the range (75 yards).

I gave back the 227, walked back to the 75, drew my P320 and drilled it first shot. Surprised me as much as everybody else, lol. My gun then went right back in the holster. Of course then the trash talking started that there was no way I could do it again, so I did it again. They weren't talking me into a third try...you gotta know when to fold 'em Big Grin.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No excuses, my guns are more accurate than me. If I make a bad shot it is on me and nothing else.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of the fun at sucking at some skill is the spontaneous creation & expression of new excuses.

Thus, I do not limit myself to boring, memorized excuses; such a process is for twits. Instead, each excuse is exquisitely developed after critically analyzing the unique situation.

A really good excuse will provide the time to pack your gear and head to the truck before the more-skilled shooters can conclude that you’re full of shit.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep forgetting that I have to open my eyes when I pull the trigger.

Posts: 614 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I have hypercortisolism, aka Cushing's Syndrome, so when it gets bad, I shake and twitch like I've had too much coffee.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Short answer: Shooting is a perishable skill and my family, home, and professional obligations are simply currently higher than my recreational shooting budget and free time.

I currently don't reload, and no, I don't buy ammo by the case or pallet, so my supply is finite.

My range is ~1h15m away. Factor in load out, stow in vehicle, etc...call it 1m45m just to get there. I used to be a member at a range more like 30 min. away, but they closed down, and my shooting activity took a nose dive.

I'm essentially on-standby '24/7/365' and always have that little feeling I'll be two magazines in, the phone will ring and I'll have to pack up and leave...so while it shouldn't be, it does kind of put a small damper on going sometimes...

I did finally managed to sneak in a one-day class earlier this year. This wasn't a super 'high-speed' class with most students being what I'd call 'basic' level. For me, it was mostly something of kind and 'knock the rust off' exercise. We also had to do the group 'tell us a little about your experience' at the start of the class. All-in-all, I would say in terms of training and experience, I was the #2 guy in the class, second only to the head instructor, who was VERY well credentialed (wouldn't have gone if he wasn't). The training range was also literally in his backyard (pretty significant acreage on his property).

My presentation, handling and groups were solid, tho well below where I was back when I was shooting a lot more.

So being the default 'hot shot,' the instructor had to sort of put me on the spot in front of the others...out came the snap caps, and of course a couple little flinches...got the 'Whew...oh boy...' Mind you, I had made it pretty clear, despite my previous experience, my live-fire trigger time in the extended recent past had been a whopping zero, thus why I was taking a relatively rudimentary class. It would have been different if my groups had sucked, but they didn't. Anyhow, just one of those things I guess...

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post