SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What’s the real deal with Kimber pistols?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s the real deal with Kimber pistols? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
The CEO of Sig is Ron Cohen. He was hired away from Kimber c. 2005.

For those who believe Kimber &/or Sig have declined in quality, many of them blame him.

Let me guess: cost cutting measures to beef up the bottom line?

It's amazing how so many executive level management totally suck yet they get hired again and again to fuck things up. Prime example: bob nardelli.

Precisely how they got their knickname. MIMber

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MIM is de debbil and will eat your soul.

Posts: 17115 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt MIM is the issue. Indifferent QA is the issue.

Rushing guns out the door before you know they work is the issue.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:

There were lots of reports also that warranty support sucked for a while, with long lead times to get your gun back once it was shipped off.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, folks. I’m not looking for another 1911 (at the moment). I just saw the display and it made me curious. I appreciate the info and personal experiences.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a good buddy that is an excellent marksmen (at a static target) want to start shooting IDPA with me. I said sure! Whatcha going to use? He said, I've got a Kimber that shoots lights out! I said...oof...here we go.

Great looking gun, super neat finish and bling, can't remember the name of it. Long story short, the gun shit the bed all day during his first match. This is a well broken in gun that seems to function "fine" during slow range fire. Either way, it was retired from service that day and he ordered a Springfield TRP that he had the Springfield Custom Shop do some competition goodies to and he loves it. Complete tank that has never had a failure of any kind to date.

Funny thing was when he was BSing with all the other regulars shooting CDP at the match he couldn't find a single other person running a Kimber, it was a hilarious "I told you so" moment.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:

That's the impression that I got as well. Quality control seems to be a thing (mostly negative) when dealing with The Rule of Cohen.

Our shop sell Kimbers. A fair number of them over the years that I've worked at the shop. No sugarcoating here; excluding the wretchedly awful Solo, there have been a few individual clunkers that have come through in the post-Cohen era. But we've actually had more problems (customer returns for repair to the factory) with Colts than Kimbers, during a timeframe that we've sold more Kimbers than Colts by at least 3:1, reason being that we just do a poorer job of restocking Colts, whereas reordering from Kimber is actually an easy and relatively pain-free process. Colt could learn a thing or two from Kimber in that regard, but that's a gripe for another time and thread...

Not exactly scientifically analyzed, but technically we encountered a greater number of repair returns with Colt, despite having sold significantly fewer of them when compared to Kimber. One shop's experience; take it for what it's worth.

-MG

Posts: 1927 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Kimber Pro Carry II that I bought about six months ago and I’ve got about 100 rounds through it without any issues, I realize that’s not very many rounds, it was all ball ammo, no self defense ammo but it ran fine. I only shot it with Wilson magazines, I didn’t even try the Kimber magazines. I had a Dan Wesson Valor and Springfield Loaded and both gave me fits. This Kimber has a really good fit and finish, a great trigger and is very accurate, I like it quite a bit. 1911’s in my experience are hit and miss regardless of maker. I’ve also got a Springfield EMP4 CC in 9mm. That thing is a freaking tack driver and a very soft shooting pistol, I’ve got two hundred rounds through it with twenty rounds of that being Federal HST and have not had a single issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: techguy,

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have an older Series 1 that was a LEO trade in. I know the deputy who it was issued to as his duty weapon when it was new. He never had any reliability problems with it. When his department "upgraded" they went with Kimber 1911s again. About a year after they got the new ones, I asked the department armorer how they liked them. He said he liked them and they were pleased. They considered Glock, but Kimber has a better LEO warranty and they felt the Kimbers would last longer.

For me, it recoils harder than my P220. It has been flawless with Wilson Combat flat wire magazines. It also has the best trigger of any pistol I have shot including a SIG P210.

Posts: 12430 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post