SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Want to ADD a magazine safety
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to ADD a magazine safety Login/Join 
posted
I know many will disagree but I like magazine safeties. I want to add one to a P226, P239, and P229 DAK.

My searches are weak today, please direct me to a thread with the info on the parts I need and how to install them, if such exists. Surely the reverse must be here somewhere.(Asking for the parts in the classified section.)

Posts: 78 | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Most of the mag safety SIGs I have seen posted online had a modified frame, you might want to look into CA compliant SIGs, some of those had magazine safeties.

I don't think it's a simple drop in process.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Most of the mag safety SIGs I have seen posted online had a modified frame, you might want to look into CA compliant SIGs, some of those had magazine safeties.

I don't think it's a simple drop in process.

Just to add, if you can modify an existing weapon, ONLY SIG will have the parts needed. I've never seen any vendors selling such parts, although I could most certainly be wrong and missed it.
Likely your only other chance is to maybe run up on someone that removed the parts from weapons that originally had magazine safeties... Also, between the models you have listed I doubt the parts would be interchangeable, meaning you'll probably need specific parts for each gun.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know much about them, but there were two different types as I understand. One used a modified frame, but I believe the other was just a different locking insert and possibly the trigger bar. If I’m correct, perhaps the latter part(s) would be available from SIG.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a magazine disconnect, Midwestgunworks.com sells the locking insert that has the mag disconnect.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadmanmike:
If you're looking for a magazine disconnect, Midwestgunworks.com sells the locking insert that has the mag disconnect.

Hmmm, interesting.
What else comes with the locking insert they sell with this kit? Does it include a lever/spring that engages the magazine?
http://www.midwestgunworks.com...-p229-parts/SAFETY-1

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Hmmm, interesting.
What else comes with the locking insert they sell with this kit? Does it include a lever/spring that engages the magazine?

Yes, very interesting.

I can’t be certain, but it appears that there is a little rotating lever that is evidently pushed up when a magazine is inserted. Although it can’t be seen in the photo, I would guess that that lever is attached to something on the other side that pushes the trigger bar down out of contact with the sear when a magazine isn’t inserted in the gun. If I’m correct about all that, then only the modified locking insert would be necessary, and no other parts.

The part is listed as being for the 9mm P229, so it would not work with other models (other than the P228).

If the part was about half that price, I’d buy one, but $100 is a little steep just to satisfy my curiosity.

Added: MGW also has the mag safety locking insert for the P226 and 357/40 P229
http://www.midwestgunworks.com...p226-parts/1201857-R
http://www.midwestgunworks.com...p229-parts/1200169-R

It isn't clear, though, if the 357/40 P229 insert is complete.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 314159:
I know many will disagree but I like magazine safeties. I want to add one to a P226, P239, and P229 DAK.

*shrug* Your guns. Use 'em for hammers, for all I care. But enquiring minds want to know: Why do you like them?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by deadmanmike:

Hmmm, interesting.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com...-p229-parts/SAFETY-1

The kit is a locking insert, spring, rollpin and little lever

You can see it all here for the P226:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com.../mgwi/prod/1201857-R

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most efficient route is simply to buy pistols ( some smith third gens browning high power) that already have them.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, Captain127. No doubt, but I do like my Sigs. Also, I have many 3rd gen S&Ws also. So that part is covered.

Ensigmatic: Simply, it's one more layer to prevent an ND with no significant cost in utility.
Theory: A long pistol fight, lull in action, I go for Tac reload; oh no(!) just then-I'm jumped at close range with my reload mag in my hand but the one round in the chamber might save me. Dead me. Presently a civilian, hard to imagine this for me. Or really anyone else. Maybe if you are house clearing in Falluja. Also, I can do a reload pretty fast...
Actuality: People are constantly shooting the floor, the wall, themselves, and others with the round left behind after dropping a mag. A training issue? Absolutely, but it continues to happen ALL the time in the real world (not me, yet) and when we deal with imperfect people, perhaps under high stress, this is a nice extra layer that I perceive to cost me nothing. Except a few bucks that is.

Posts: 78 | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Why magazine disconnect “safeties”?

This is not current, so perhaps his information has changed. But in discussing the subject Massad Ayoob reported that he was aware of several incidents in which law enforcement officers had managed to release the magazine during a take-away attempt and thereby disable their weapon because it was equipped with the disconnect. On the other hand, he was not aware of a single incident in which anyone had defended themselves by using a pistol without the disconnect feature in a single shot mode with no magazine in the gun. From that perspective alone, an argument can be made that having the feature is more likely to be useful than not.

The disconnect feature would also prevent unintentional discharges by people who believed that removing the magazine unloaded the gun. We occasionally hear of someone removing a magazine, assuming the gun was then unloaded, and then firing the cartridge in the chamber.

Another possible reason is to add a layer of safety to having a gun available. A pistol with a round chambered could be left unsecured and yet not be capable of being fired normally if the magazine were out and stored separately. (Note that I do not believe that’s a valid reason for the feature myself, only that it’s a possible reason. I believe that if it’s necessary to prevent an irresponsible person from having access to a gun, it must be locked away.)

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Another possible reason is to add a layer of safety to having a gun available. A pistol with a round chambered could be left unsecured and yet not be capable of being fired normally if the magazine were out and stored separately. (Note that I do not believe that’s a valid reason for the feature myself, only that it’s a possible reason. I believe that if it’s necessary to prevent an irresponsible person from having access to a gun, it must be locked away.)

Not necessarily agreeing, but I recall reading a story about a gun store that kept Hi-Powers with loaded chambers and no mags positioned around the store, and employees carried loaded mags on them.

Again, I'm not saying it's an optimal choice, but I thought I'd share the story.

Personally, I'd rather have a gun without the mag disconnect than with one, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a deal-breaker.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post