SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How do I order a special engraved Colt 1911?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I order a special engraved Colt 1911? Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted
I want to order a pair of consecutive number Colt Government Model 70 1911's with some simple engraving on the slide - do I contact Colt or a LGS or ??

thanks

aileron

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typically you would contact Colt. But their custom shop recently laid off its manager, a terrific guy and friend to all customers, and the backlog is pretty grim. Call them anyway, but you likely will be appalled at what they tell you.
I hope I'm wrong.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will call them in CT next week and see how to begin.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
IMO, find two consecutive serial numbered pistols, and take/send them to an FFL who does good engraving.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Thanks, I will call them in CT next week and see how to begin.

Colt has had this on their website for a good while: "Due to overwhelming demand the Colt Custom Shop is currently and temporarily not taking new orders at this time while we address our considerable backlog. Please check back soon for updates."

Posts: 41 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: August 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is "some simple engraving on the slide?"

Do you want low coverage scroll as shown on the first couple of Wilsons at:
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/1...omization/#engraving ?

Or do you mean text like your and your best bud's name, rank, serial number, and unit designation from when you were in the service?

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
What is "some simple engraving on the slide?"

Do you want low coverage scroll as shown on the first couple of Wilsons at:
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/1...omization/#engraving ?

Or do you mean text like your and your best bud's name, rank, serial number, and unit designation from when you were in the service?

All we want is "Deplorable" on the slides Big Grin

But done nicely.

posted Hide Post
https://accubeam.com/services/...trust-gun-engraving/

These folks did a very sincere Colt National Match "roll mark" on a custom gun.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post