SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    question on full size 320 for duty use
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question on full size 320 for duty use Login/Join 
posted
Found this on Gun Broker for sale: Sig Sauer P320 X5 Fullsize w/ X-Ray Night Sights. They also have the P320 with X Fullsize Pro. What is the difference between the 2. I assume the Pro refers to the gun being ready for optics? Thinking of going over to the 320 from my 226 in 9.

As always thanks to this great forum

Officer Dave

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The P320 X5 is designed for competition. It has fiber optic adjustable sights, a magwell, extended 21 round magazines, bull barrel, and lightening cuts in the top of the slide.

The P320 Pro is designed for LE duty use. It has Xray night sights, standard 17 round mags, no magwell, standard barrel, and a slide with no lightening cuts.

They are both full-size P320s, and both will have an optic-ready slide, flat trigger, and X-series grip module.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are both optic ready. The optic bolts to the slide from the top on the Pro while it bolts from the bottom on the X5. The Pro doesn't have windows cut into the slide where the X5 does. The rear sight is attached to the optic plate on the X5 where there is a dovetail cut directly into the slide for the rear sight on the Pro. I believe there are a few other differences, maybe with a tighter lockup or something on the X5? Hopefully someone with more knowledge with chime in.

Posts: 399 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
I suspect their descriptions aren't exact.

There is the X-Five which is the competition oriented gun with a 5" barrel (and it does fine as a duty gun).

The rest of the full size guns utilize a 4.7" slide/barrel assembly. Sig has several models which come with the X Series module, these are generally the Pro series guns. Some are optics ready, some aren't. There are also options whether you want the full length dust cover or not.

If it's for duty use and you qualify, the IOP program is the way to go:
https://www.provenoutfitters.c...-professional-series

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If you are going to do it I would suggest the Pro model... I don't cotton to those extended magazines. Trigger on the 320 will be somewhere between the double and single action on your 226.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the X pro, it is difficult to find a duty holster that works with the X5 because it has a longer barrel and slide, not impossible, but there aren't a lot of choices. The X Pro will fit in the same holsters as the standard full size P320.

And yeah, if you're active duty you can get it through a number of dealers on the IOP program. I bought mine through Streichers in Feb. for around $600 it comes with 3 17 round mags.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
VA State Police is transitioning from P229 to P320 full size. Many troopers have them already. Seems like a good choice.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yep Pro seems the way to go. This will be my last duty gun as retirement approaches. But heck go out with bang

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Just curious?
What is wrong with your 226?

I am going the opposite direction, I have six 320’s and after jacking with them all in different iterations I am going back to my 226.
Nothing fill my hand like the 226 and as I age, my purchase grip when practicing is becoming more important to have consistent.
I always felt like I was compromising in the 320 platform even after different grip modules and even the X-series.
I would suggest reconsidering the 226 since you seem so familiar. As we get older, familiarity can be life saving.

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sigmoid I agree after handling several 320s. I may just stay with my 226.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
That would be my choice too... but I'm not an LEO and you asked us to choose one of two.

My Sig P226 is one hell of a work horse...

Slow but sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrZ_QK2yShU

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P226 all the way. And I know I'll take some flack for it, but I'd pick a glock over a p230. I got one very reluctantly.... I wasn't missing anything.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 320 PRO , and never look back .The X5 gun would be out .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
The 320s will only accept the Sig Romeo sight, correct?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
For duty stick with the Pro, or 320 standard. If you want a DA/SA gun then a 226 or a Beretta 92... but you’ll get a lot of people saying these are based on old technology.

I personally love my P320 C with the X-Compact grip frame. However when I go out in uniform it’s a G17.4 or a 19.5.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go plastic over metal for a duty gun. Takes more rain snow and mud without issue and it's proven enough that I wouldn't be bothered by it. I love my steel guns but I'm not sticking them in a duty holster. If you aren't on road duty and carrying as a detective or something it's a bit different.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:

The newest milled guns will work with the Deltapoint Pro. Springer Precision also makes adapter plates a la Glock MOS and similar systems to use the RMR, DPP, and some other common optics on the original slides.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I'd go plastic over metal for a duty gun. Takes more rain snow and mud without issue and it's proven enough that I wouldn't be bothered by it. I love my steel guns but I'm not sticking them in a duty holster. If you aren't on road duty and carrying as a detective or something it's a bit different.

Started my 26th year in L.E. back in December, have carried various all-metal and polymer-framed pistols to include Sig, H&K, Beretta, 1911 pattern, and Glock. I've seen zero difference in "weather survivability" as far as patrol conditions are concerned. The only issue I ever had was after wading in hip-deep flood water for a couple of hours during a storm, my 92FS Inox developed some dark spots in the silver frame anodizing (no telling what chemical cocktail I'd been soaking in).

Rain/snow/mud tends to muck up the internal mechanism...frame material not-withstanding. And "plastic" pistols are still mainly metal.

I currently carry a 320 X-Carry on duty...not because of the frame material, I like the grip, trigger and sights. If I was mandated to carry my 92FS, 1911, 229, or even P7 again I wouldn't be concerned at all about having to carry a "metal" handgun.

Posts: 30 | Location: B'ham, AL | Registered: June 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The x-grip is different than the standard P320 grip; considerably more ergonomic. To me if feels like a P226.

I have the Grayguns "sculpted" x-frame, and it feels more like a P226 to me.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:

The newest milled guns will work with the Deltapoint Pro. Springer Precision also makes adapter plates a la Glock MOS and similar systems to use the RMR, DPP, and some other common optics on the original slides.

I called them last week. They don't have anything for the Pro series yet.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post