SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts on Wilson Combat EDC's X9
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Wilson Combat EDC's X9 Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
First of all, I said the haters. Are you a hater? Do you make comments like the ones I mentioned above?

Second of all, no premium product is for people looking for value. 80/20 rule. You'll spend 80% of effort chasing the last 20% of benefit...diminishing returns. If you've got the 3k to burn why worry about value is my question? If it makes you happy, buy it. If it doesn't, then don't. It's not complicated.

Only a hater gets all pissy about it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I played with one at the NRA show and it's just too busy for me looks wise. I actually was more impressed with the compact STI DVC which was about $1000 less and had a better trigger. If it were me I would get the new DW all Stainless 9mm CCO.
I have the DVC Carry and I love it. I wasn't sure of the grips until I held one. It feels better than most other guns I have tried. I also have not had a quality issue. I haven't tried the Wilson but I used to have a commander size Wilson 1911 that was outstanding quality with excellent customer service.

Posts: 471 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
First of all, I said the haters. Are you a hater? Do you make comments like the ones I mentioned above?

Second of all, no premium product is for people looking for value. 80/20 rule. You'll spend 80% of effort chasing the last 20% of benefit...diminishing returns. If you've got the 3k to burn why worry about value is my question? If it makes you happy, buy it. If it doesn't, then don't. It's not complicated.

Only a hater gets all pissy about it.

I hate the gun. But, I don't get all pissy about it. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has my interest. For those saying get a glock and training plus ammo. Explain all the zevtec crap, the x5 x6 sigs, the p210's. No need to rain on someone elses parade.

I am at a point in my life when the most interesting thimg at a gun show is the polish guy selling pickles and sausges. I want something different. Something unique. This fits the bill.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
It has my interest. For those saying get a glock and training plus ammo. Explain all the zevtec crap, the x5 x6 sigs, the p210's. No need to rain on someone elses parade.

I am at a point in my life when the most interesting thimg at a gun show is the polish guy selling pickles and sausges. I want something different. Something unique. This fits the bill.

In case you missed it, Wink

quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
I have been looking at getting one of these, what are your thoughts on them?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
12131, you've said you'd buy two different guns, you've said you hate the gun...but you haven't commented on the gun itself.

Why have you made the statements you've made? What is it bout the gun you don't like? You correctly quote where the OP asked for people's thoughts on the firearm, but you haven't really commented directly on the gun and why you hate it and wouldn't buy it.

posted Hide Post
I'd love to have one but fear buying this "custom" and not being able to get parts/service down the road. Also, there is this thing about money and having enough. For this investment I would go with the forever gun....1911.

Posts: 193 | Registered: February 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you want to spend that much on a carry pistol, I'm glad WC is there to provide the opportunity. I have no doubt it's a nice pistol, but not something I really want or need.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
12131, you've said you'd buy two different guns, you've said you hate the gun...but you haven't commented on the gun itself.

Why have you made the statements you've made? What is it bout the gun you don't like? You correctly quote where the OP asked for people's thoughts on the firearm, but you haven't really commented directly on the gun and why you hate it and wouldn't buy it.

Ok, counselor. The gun looks real nice. But, then, that dreaded long external extractor killed it for me. Whatever WC's reasons for doing it like that, I don't care. It's just not for me. I understand that it's not a true 1911 (no grip safety), but it obviously was made to bear a resemblance to the 1911. So, long external extractor on this one is a no no for me.

So, I'd buy two of WC tuned Berettas instead of one of their EDC X9. Cool

Q

posted Hide Post
This gun also pulls from a browning hipower. The front slide cuts, Width of the grip, so a long extractor would not be out of line.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
The gun shop where I work is a Wilson dealer and we got our first one in yesterday.

My thoughts on the gun:

Like all of the other Wilson 1911's we have is stock, fit and finish is fantastic.

The trigger was nice - not great. I'm not sure if all of the EDC's triggers will be the same as our first sample, but I was slightly surprised with the so so trigger.

I like the cross hatch slide serrations. My preference would be to only have them on the rear of the slide, but that's just me. They are very effective, and I like that they are different from the everyday norm.

I don't like a fiber optic front sight on what is built to be a self defense carry gun, but that's easily replaced.

The gun balanced very well in my hands and would be easy to carry comfortably in a quality holster and gun belt.

As far as price goes, I would not spend in the neighborhood of $3K (or $2,200 Wink ) for any gun that I'd plan to carry every day for self defense. I look at self defense guns as tools, and tools get beat and banged up. God forbid you'd have to use it to save your bacon and it end up on an evidence shelf for three or five years. Maybe you'd get it back, maybe you wouldn't.

I'm of the mindset that a good quality, $500 to $600 plastic striker or hammer fired (insert brand here) will protect you just as well as a $3K (insert brand here) gun will. In fact, they might actually be more forgiving when it comes to dust, dirt, and other everyday gremlins that tend to get into tight places on your carry gun. The tolerances aren't as tight, and pie plate accuracy is sufficient for the job. Character marks and holster wear would not hurt my feelings.

I've got more than my fair share of high dollar firearms, but I save those for time at the range.

Just my thoughts and opinions Smile

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10446 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I got to T&E one a while back. I was perfectly happy with a glock 19. Now I want the new wilson. Shoots great. Super accurate. Effortlessly hitting 8" plates. It shoots like a full size target gun. They will sell a ton of them.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Anyone got their hands on one of these yet?

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
I found one in August at my LGS and the one I had on order finally came in. The top pic is the one my LGS had and the bottom pic is the "Black Edition" I had on order. This is the only one I have seen so far.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Rick, have you shot it, yet?

Q

Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ Rick, have you shot it, yet?

Yes - I put 135 rounds through it. It shots better than I do! This target was at 15 yards.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
That thing is sexy as hell. I'll never be able to afford one, but it looks like a sweet shooter

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That is sexy, esp with the dark red grips.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
A couple beauties there! I’m jealous!

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I was talking to customer service at Wilson last week (having the sights changed on my CQB) and I asked him the lead time on the EDC X9’s. He said it’s running about 8 months. According to him, the dealers are ordering 20 to 30 guns at a time. They tell him that by the time they arrive, they’re all sold and there’s a waiting list.

If I got one, I’d want the one with black cherry grips, no rail and, being custom, I’d have them leave off the front slide serrations. Like ‘blindref, I much prefer a clean slide.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post