SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger redhawk 44mag front sight problem.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger redhawk 44mag front sight problem. Login/Join 
posted
hello all,

I recently got a new 4.2” redhawk 44mag, a gun I’ve wanted for quite awhile. When I got home I noticed the front sight is very loose, I can pull it up and see lots of daylight through the gap, it just sort of rattled around.

I used a punch on the button and it was very tight, I tried on another redhawk 2.75” and it was much smoother and no front sight looseness.

Is this something I might be able to fix or is it back to ruger for a repair? I’m sort of bummed, I didn’t even get to shoot this gun yet.

Thanks!!!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can’t help ya with the front sight issue.. My ejector rod rattled some fore and aft and up and down, by works perfectly fine. My rear sight pin will ever so slightly walk out to the left with heavier recoiling rounds (common I’ve read with this gun). One can bend it slightly and push it in. Not sure if the same can be done with the front one. It’s a beast that’s for sure. I replaced my grips with ones that cover the back strap as the Buffalo Bore 1500 foot-# loads will hurt otherwise. It’s a blaster! Ruger will take care if you if you need them!

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the front sight retention pin is either jammed, dirty, or the spring is damaged. Try cleaning out the channel with brake cleaner, then use the punch to work it back and forth. It should move with moderate hand pressure.

The purpose of the system is to push the front sight back into its dovetail and lock it in place. If the spring mechanism isn't working properly, that will cause the problem.

It is also possible that the sight is an aftermarket sight that doesn't fit right.

My first step, though would be to remove the front sight and clean the hell out of the mechanism.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you cannot easily fix it, call Ruger. I have sent several guns back to them. They always pay for shipping both ways and repair free of charge.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the pin was just jammed or sticky or something. I took it out, put about 150 rounds through it today and after the first one, it sort of locked into place.

It’s all good for now. Thanks for the advice. Sweet gun, really sweet gun. Shot a box of mag tech 240g, then some blazer aluminum and some full house buffalo bore then finished with 6 rounds of Garrett cartridge stuff.

It’s a keeper, ordered a diamond custom guide holster for it. It will be in a rotation of 2 between it and a glock 20 for my bush guns.

Now I see ruger makes a blues 5.5” lipseys special...,I love rugers.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new Redhawk doesn’t have the pin. Kind of disappointed. I was looking forward to easy front sight swaps.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Send to & Let Ruger sort it out...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post