SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Buying a new discontinued gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a new discontinued gun Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Does anyone know if Sig still honors the warranty of discontinued models? I found a good deal on a new gun that is now discontinued, and I'm wondering what would happen if I have to send it in for service.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know if Sig still honors the warranty of discontinued models?

If you bought it new, you are the original owner, then the warranty is in effect.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
If you turn in the warranty card, sig will take care of your gun. Don’t worry about it.. sig has to hell and back reliability. I bought p239, then parts kit and an extra barrel...

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, they will honor the warranty.

But they will eventually run out of parts at some point, and may have to stop providing service for those models (like S&W did with the 3rd Gens a few years ago, and like Colt recently did with the Python).

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Does anyone know if Sig still honors the warranty of discontinued models?

If you bought it new, you are the original owner, then the warranty is in effect.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I’ve never turned in any warranty card on any gun and have never had any gun company refuse to fix a warranty issue. Even if I wasn’t the original owner. Don’t ask don’t tell. Must gun companies don’t want a faulty one of their guns roaming the country side.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the guns I own are models discontinued decades ago. Gun breakage with proper care is so rare I do not concern myself with it. I have guns made 60+ years ago I use every week and can’t remember the last time I broke anything

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig may or may not support it, but there are enough spare parts out there and gunsmiths who will work on it, that you'll be able to keep it running indefinitely.

I don't believe Ruger supports their Security six any more, particularly the pre 151-series...but I continue buying them. They'll outlast me, and I can still find what I need, no problem.

I just bought another P239...and if Sig has stopped production, so what?

The Hi-power just went out of production, but one would make a mistake to pass up a good example, should it come available.

There are a lot of out-of-production handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc, that are excellent purchases to be had.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have actually registered older used Sigs on the Sig website. I Have not tried to submit the older guns for warranty type work so I cant say if Sig will back them. I also register the gun so I can be notified if there is a recall on the gun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
12131 recently sent Proto-1 back to SIG for warranty work, and they replaced it with a rainbow titanium version cause it was obsolete Wink

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't bet on that. S&W will no longer honor the lifetime warranty on the semi autos even if bought new and the original owner is requesting service. We got the "too bad" excuse. No parts.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

Don't bet on that. S&W will no longer honor the lifetime warranty on the semi autos even if bought new and the original owner is requesting service. We got the "too bad" excuse. No parts.

S&W wouldn't even honor the warranty on a shield I bought, and it less than a couple hundred rounds through it when the frame split.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post