SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P210 impressive
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P210 impressive Login/Join 
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Are we sure bac and Zeleney are not the same person? Posts sound the same.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Stow it.

Cut it out, guys. Come on. Stick to the subject at hand.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xrocket:
After following this thread and reading other threads concerning the "new" American made P210 I'm going to buy one.

After 50yrs of shooting experience and until this July when I purchased a new p365 I've never owned a 9mm firearm ... shot a few, but you read right... never owned one till last month.

Now I'll own my second 9mm to go along with my other match grade 45mm Sigs, Colts and Browns. I'm really looking forward to this new to me caliber and breaking in the P210.

All the best gents .... such is life

Try a 1911 government in 9mm also, they're one of my favorite shooting pistols, you'll end up adding one of those to your stable as well!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I haven't held a P210 yet. Guess I know I'll take it home with me. Big Grin

The Super Target is wanted by many. I guess I'm crazy enough to wish they'd make one in 7.65mm Confused

Congrats on your new Sig.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Commercial 7.65 Luger is probably to light for having the slide cycle reliably. You probably would need something with a standard load like a PP03. It’s a nice round but the combination with such a gun would be pretty counter productive because it would limit its use to either pseudo benchrest shooting or international center fire pistol matches. For the latter one the P210 of any type is outdated for almost 40 years and the reason for the short lived .32cal P240.

The problem we always are running into with such debates over old Swiss vs recent German or new American made is the lack of technological know how about metal transformation per se. “THE touch” we gather form staring at a gun and comparing the sound of the slide when racking it is not sufficient for an objective argumentation because we are running out of arguments too soon. If you want to judge such differences you will have to have at least a basic idea about the material types used, the work flow concept and the technology used, because without it, such a debate is pointless. No such information has been provided in any reliable source which published anything about SIG firearms made in Neuhausen, neither Vetter, nor Döbeli, nor Armbruster nor DWJ nor anybody else.

This leaves to me the conclusion that each of us is drawing his own romantic picture of the grand pa like gun smith who is hand fitting the P210, make an experienced master gun smith out of him and add emotional attributes like “pride in craftsmanship” to it because this is the technology we can understand and conclude better “quality” for that reason. This romantic though anyhow is in contradiction to the specification the P210 had to be produced, which made industrial manufacturing necessary in order to guarantee a 100% interchargeablity of parts if they wanted to fill the contracts for Switzerland, Denmark, Germany and Sweden. Such concepts demand production concepts in which “as much as possible to a quality the customer is willing to pay” could be made. SIG outsourced a lot of its products including the P210 for that reason, which would made quality control the way we are expecting it difficult. Nowadays it’s made inhouse in Eckernförde and as an improved version in Exeter under direct control of the responsible people on state of the art equipment with materials optimized for the end product.

Gentlemen, for the reason mentioned above I recoment to regroup your thoughs and find a different approach for such a debate if you want to compare Swiss vs American made.

Best regards form Switzerland, OTD.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
And that is a excellent post OTD. Many are the shooter who will take and enjoy the new P210 from Sig. I have at times felt the old school design of barrel loops, pivoting barrel links like in 1911s are dated. The innovative thinking at Sig USA seems to work just fine in this pistol. Even those darned top lugs were, are dated when it comes to lock up. My 52 Masters showed the hand fitting required for lock up. I like the new P210 and hope to have one. Another time I will question the history of the pistol as, I'd like to know how it went from Swiss to German to American. IIRC, the original design wasn't even Swiss. Did it not begin life as a French design ? I will hold further questions for now.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Thanks David, but I think the heritage of the P210 is irrelevant for this discussion because most features people love to argue about are not present in the SACM pistol you are referring to.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
OTD, once again, you cut through the emotional clutter regarding these pistols. Always enjoy your comments.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
Commercial 7.65 Luger is probably to light for having the slide cycle reliably...
Gentlemen, for the reason mentioned above I recoment to regroup your thoughs and find a different approach for such a debate if you want to compare Swiss vs American made.

Not really waxing poetically or wanting to get into the whole here v/s there v/s somewhere else thing.

It is just that I had bought a pantload of 7.65mm ammo for almost nothing. Got them for my P220s and of all the ammo I have, 7.65mm is a good bit of them, along with .38 Super and 10mm (I do have a few boxes of 45s and 9s here and there but added up they are fewer of them than those in 440 Cor-Bon). Now if I could find a deal on a Luger or a Broomhandle Mauser...

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
The 7.65mm is a fantastic round for service pistols designated to target shooting. It’s superior to the 9mm for this purpose. The Swiss DoD is still producing it to original specs for that reason. I use it in a P210-5 myself. The problem I’m referring to is in relation with a long slide P210 Super Target. Most of commercial post war ammo was made for collectors who want to shoot their pre war pistols of unknown condition. Such ammo cycles in the P210 but it barely ejects the cases, wich is an indicator to me for mild loads. Fiocchi ball is such an example. Such ammo will probably lead to ejection problems in pistols long heavy slides. No such problems with Swiss spec Pist Pat 03. The .30 P220 though will feel like a .22 with mild commercial loads.

posted Hide Post
What modern 7.65 ammo typically runs a bit hotter? I haven't had much luck with Fiocchi but PPU has been decent.

On a side note: Congrats to the OP on the P210a. I shot one at the Sig event at my LGS at the beginning of the year. Nice pistol.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Ruag Swiss P 7.65mm Para / 6gr FMJ

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
Commercial 7.65 Luger is probably to light for having the slide cycle reliably. You probably would need something with a standard load like a PP03. It’s a nice round but the combination with such a gun would be pretty counter productive because it would limit its use to either pseudo benchrest shooting or international center fire pistol matches. For the latter one the P210 of any type is outdated for almost 40 years and the reason for the short lived .32cal P240.

The problem we always are running into with such debates over old Swiss vs recent German or new American made is the lack of technological know how about metal transformation per se. “THE touch” we gather form staring at a gun and comparing the sound of the slide when racking it is not sufficient for an objective argumentation because we are running out of arguments too soon. If you want to judge such differences you will have to have at least a basic idea about the material types used, the work flow concept and the technology used, because without it, such a debate is pointless. No such information has been provided in any reliable source which published anything about SIG firearms made in Neuhausen, neither Vetter, nor Döbeli, nor Armbruster nor DWJ nor anybody else.

This leaves to me the conclusion that each of us is drawing his own romantic picture of the grand pa like gun smith who is hand fitting the P210, make an experienced master gun smith out of him and add emotional attributes like “pride in craftsmanship” to it because this is the technology we can understand and conclude better “quality” for that reason. This romantic though anyhow is in contradiction to the specification the P210 had to be produced, which made industrial manufacturing necessary in order to guarantee a 100% interchargeablity of parts if they wanted to fill the contracts for Switzerland, Denmark, Germany and Sweden. Such concepts demand production concepts in which “as much as possible to a quality the customer is willing to pay” could be made. SIG outsourced a lot of its products including the P210 for that reason, which would made quality control the way we are expecting it difficult. Nowadays it’s made inhouse in Eckernförde and as an improved version in Exeter under direct control of the responsible people on state of the art equipment with materials optimized for the end product.

well put

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Sounder, you've been here a long time. You are supposed to post some nice pictures... Cool

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bac1023:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
I’ve owned SEVERAL US made Sigs, thank you. Maybe more than yourself. So it’s snobbish to disagree that the cheapened P210A is the finest in American Gun manufacturing? Give me a damn break. I can tell quality in an instant by picking it up. I’m not saying it’s a bad quality gun.

No, it's snobbish to never miss an opportunity to rain down on people's parade, when they praise the P210A. Everyone here knows that. And, the bullshit "I can tell quality in an instant by picking it up" is just that, bullshit. It tells folks nothing. Just because you own the most expensive guns out there doesn't mean that thinking folks have to take your words for it. It's like when you hear many people paint the broad brush, "German made SIGs are quality, and US made SIGs are junk".

So, I'll ask you again, have you tested it against your coveted Euro P210s, and what were the results? And, in another thread, you said you don't think it's a fine gun. And here, you say it's not a bad quality gun. So, what is it?

Tested what?

I’m not talking about accuracy. I have NO DOUBT that the P210A can duplicate the other P210 performance. So can my $1100 CZ TS. If accuracy is all you want, go buy a CZ.

What’s your point? You don’t even know what the hell you’re talking about. Yes I can tell the quality by picking it up and handling it. If you actually had experience with high end guns, maybe you could as well. It’s not “bullshit”. I’ve been doing it for decades and have made tens of thousands in the high end gun business.

I’m sorry to hurt your feeling. Go sell your 50 Rugers and spend the money on a nice 1970’s Sig P210-6 or -5 while you can still get them under ten grand. You’ll thank me later.

OMG really?
yeah accuracy is what i want in a pistol, and it's MUCH better to have an option to buy an american made product vs no offering at all. I think the CNC Stainless construction with it's Nitron finish is gorgeous, and is well and truly made in the same philosophy as the originals from Switzerland and Germany, with Mass (relatively speaking) production adhering to the historical reputation of the gun.

It seems to me that yes, you're gun snob and more than that you're butt hurt that the American version with it's universally accepted slide release, safety and mag release that are very user friendly as well as the quality for the price makes a mockery of collectors who have the swiss and german versions which no doubt are fine weapons but highly valued because of their rarity more than anything else.

Me, i'll take a brand new CNC'ed accurate pistol with spares availability and exceptional quality at a realistic price over an old pistol valued because of it's rarity more than anything else any day.

Collect your old hard to get guns and enjoy them, that's ok, but just like everything else time marches on and production techniques make it much easier to manufacture a quality product at a reasonable price point, it's not the consumers fault you're heavily invested in a "collectible" gun that now has an available equivalent at a much lower price point.

I love mine, it does everything i expect of it and i for one see no point in lusting after an old possibly worn out rare gun that i can't get parts for and would be afraid to use. mine has a warranty and has been reliable, accurate and is so much fun to shoot, i'm not a gun snob so what it is makes me happy, be happy with what you like, but don't denigrate others for their choices....

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 16, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loony888:
quote:
Originally posted by bac1023:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
I’ve owned SEVERAL US made Sigs, thank you. Maybe more than yourself. So it’s snobbish to disagree that the cheapened P210A is the finest in American Gun manufacturing? Give me a damn break. I can tell quality in an instant by picking it up. I’m not saying it’s a bad quality gun.

No, it's snobbish to never miss an opportunity to rain down on people's parade, when they praise the P210A. Everyone here knows that. And, the bullshit "I can tell quality in an instant by picking it up" is just that, bullshit. It tells folks nothing. Just because you own the most expensive guns out there doesn't mean that thinking folks have to take your words for it. It's like when you hear many people paint the broad brush, "German made SIGs are quality, and US made SIGs are junk".

So, I'll ask you again, have you tested it against your coveted Euro P210s, and what were the results? And, in another thread, you said you don't think it's a fine gun. And here, you say it's not a bad quality gun. So, what is it?

Tested what?

I’m not talking about accuracy. I have NO DOUBT that the P210A can duplicate the other P210 performance. So can my $1100 CZ TS. If accuracy is all you want, go buy a CZ.

What’s your point? You don’t even know what the hell you’re talking about. Yes I can tell the quality by picking it up and handling it. If you actually had experience with high end guns, maybe you could as well. It’s not “bullshit”. I’ve been doing it for decades and have made tens of thousands in the high end gun business.

I’m sorry to hurt your feeling. Go sell your 50 Rugers and spend the money on a nice 1970’s Sig P210-6 or -5 while you can still get them under ten grand. You’ll thank me later.

OMG really?
yeah accuracy is what i want in a pistol, and it's MUCH better to have an option to buy an american made product vs no offering at all. I think the CNC Stainless construction with it's Nitron finish is gorgeous, and is well and truly made in the same philosophy as the originals from Switzerland and Germany, with Mass (relatively speaking) production adhering to the historical reputation of the gun.

It seems to me that yes, you're gun snob and more than that you're butt hurt that the American version with it's universally accepted slide release, safety and mag release that are very user friendly as well as the quality for the price makes a mockery of collectors who have the swiss and german versions which no doubt are fine weapons but highly valued because of their rarity more than anything else.

Me, i'll take a brand new CNC'ed accurate pistol with spares availability and exceptional quality at a realistic price over an old pistol valued because of it's rarity more than anything else any day.

Collect your old hard to get guns and enjoy them, that's ok, but just like everything else time marches on and production techniques make it much easier to manufacture a quality product at a reasonable price point, it's not the consumers fault you're heavily invested in a "collectible" gun that now has an available equivalent at a much lower price point.

I love mine, it does everything i expect of it and i for one see no point in lusting after an old possibly worn out rare gun that i can't get parts for and would be afraid to use. mine has a warranty and has been reliable, accurate and is so much fun to shoot, i'm not a gun snob so what it is makes me happy, be happy with what you like, but don't denigrate others for their choices....
Probably not the best way to come on the forum rehashing a 6-year old thread in this manner, but I’ll bite.

I have come around the P210A. The one I didn’t care for after owning it was the P210 Carry. Some guns just need to be steel.

Back to the P210A, I shoot mine often. I own several German and several Swiss P210’s, but I don’t shoot them much these days, since value has risen over the years.

In fact, I own several American Sigs and feel they have gotten much better in more recent years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bac1023,

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'll take advice on forum etiquette from almost anyone else, but thanks for the input.

Nice to see you no longer refer to them as "American SIG junk"

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 16, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll take advice on forum etiquette from almost anyone else, but thanks for the input.

Nice to see you no longer refer to them as "American SIG junk"

Ah ok.

Curious as to how well you know the Sig P210 in general or high end pistols for that matter..

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still kicking around Old World Craftsmanship vs American Ingenuity, eh?
Not me.
But I do see that the P210A comes with ergonomic features like beavertail, 1911ish thumb safety, and Lugerish* magazine catch that were only available on the Switzers by expensive Old World Gusmithing.

Re magazine catch: Does the P210A magazine drop free when the button is pushed? I was seldom so frustrated as the time I took my P210-6 to IDPA and had to try to reload in a hurry.

*"Lugerish". It amuses me to note that the side button magazine catch, commonly referred to as "American style" was introduced on the 1900 Luger while Mr Browning and Colt did not change from the "European" heel catch for another 10 years. I wonder if the Army requested the change, they had tested both Luger and Colt pistols, pre-1911,

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Banned

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post