SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG 210 information
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 210 information Login/Join 
posted
I've carried the SIG 210 since 1983 as a army officer (still pushing) in your NATO allied country Denmark. I've also been on missions 3 times (Iraq and x-Jugoslavia) using the SIG as my secondary sidearm, and also some times as my primarily.

I thought it could be interesting to share some of the experience I've gotten over the years.

Did you know the slidestop actually is a tool as well? The gun was designed so the slidestop is a tool for taking out the firing pin and disassembling the magazine.

A couple of pictures from the manual:

Posts: 94 | Location: Denmark | Registered: July 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I have owned several Swiss, and later German, P210s but did not know that. Since you have used the P210 for so long I would be interested in any other information or comments about the P210 you might care to share.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did not know

Thank you!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
I have owned several Swiss, and later German, P210s but did not know that. Since you have used the P210 for so long I would be interested in any other information or comments about the P210 you might care to share.

Well we will start from the begining. Did you know the two first SIG 210 (prototypes) where 16-round magazines? Unfurtenetly two of my colleagues from WAY back then ruined that. When they traveled to Switzerland to look at the pistol, they demanded a 8-round version for the Danish army.

Posts: 94 | Location: Denmark | Registered: July 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
How have you liked it as a combat pistol?

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
How have you liked it as a combat pistol?

I have never been unhappy but if I could chose myself I would pick a Glock 19 any day.

Actually the SIG will be taken out of service around 2018 and indications show a Glock might be the replacement.

The biggest plus is the accuracy of the 210 and never misfunction if you keep it maintained. The tight tollerances are not too keen on sand etc.

The minus is poor small sights. Magazine release. Too small and tight/hard safety. Magazine capacity.

With that being said I've won many competitions among very professional shooters using the 210.

What always makes me happy is I can hit a man size target at 110 yards with at least 5 out of 8 rounds. Ok the killing effect is probably poor, but I can't do this with a 1911, Beretta 92FS or a Glock.

posted Hide Post
Dane, I truly look forward to the information you will provide us. The P210 is without a doubt my favorite pistol and to hear actual combat experience with it is fascinating.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information... I appreciate it...

I was envious of the Danish troops having P210s when U.S. troops had the miserable Beretta...

Look forward to more information/experiences with the P210

V/r

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1348 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cxm:
Thanks for the information... I appreciate it...

I was envious of the Danish troops having P210s when U.S. troops had the miserable Beretta...

Look forward to more information/experiences with the P210

V/r

Chuck

I was a test person for my army and tested the Beretta 92FS for years. Never understood all the complains from you guys. The Beretta never failed once, and I would trade mig 210 any day for the Beretta. Oh well some guys like the daughter and some the mother.

posted Hide Post

The SIG SP 44/16 (16 round magazine).

Actually I told you it was the Danish army that didn't like the 16-round version. In fact it was our neighbors. Just after WW II the Swedish military where looking for a new pistol and showed interest in the SIG, how ever they found the 16-round version too heavy and thick. They also wanted a interchangeable 7,65 parabellum version. SIG made the 44/8 and the Swedes liked it but ended up keep their Browning M/07 and Lahti M/40.

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.I like the P210 but was to young to get one. I received a P220 instead and had to buy the P210.

I have a couple of general question regarding the m/49 pistol. I have heard that Denmark is using a HK USP type also. Is the m/49 still standard issue or does it see a subordinate role beside the HK pistol? Denmark received about 23’000 form SIG. Some have been boght back by Hämmerli about 20 years ago. Have you got some information how those pistols habve been selected.

About the Danish SIG MG50. Have you got informationwhen it was replaced?

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing information with us!I I I After reading the 210 would easily shoot 100,000 rounds I actually tried to wear out my 210. Shot over 34,000 rounds through her with no problems other than on at the start that was fixed on warranty. I enjoyed every shot!!

Wonder what the longevity of the Glock is?

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
Thank you for sharing information with us!I I I After reading the 210 would easily shoot 100,000 rounds I actually tried to wear out my 210. Shot over 34,000 rounds through her with no problems other than on at the start that was fixed on warranty. I enjoyed every shot!!

Wonder what the longevity of the Glock is?

Well all I can say is I did ware one SIG out half way through service so they do have a limit.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
Thanks for the info.I like the P210 but was to young to get one. I received a P220 instead and had to buy the P210.

I have a couple of general question regarding the m/49 pistol. I have heard that Denmark is using a HK USP type also. Is the m/49 still standard issue or does it see a subordinate role beside the HK pistol? Denmark received about 23’000 form SIG. Some have been boght back by Hämmerli about 20 years ago. Have you got some information how those pistols habve been selected.

About the Danish SIG MG50. Have you got informationwhen it was replaced?

As fare as I know we only had the SIG MG51 (chambered for the 30-06) but I'm not sure.

In all my service time we have used the MG 62 (a newer version of the old NAZI MG). Before this we used the Danish made "Virgin Madsen" (now we use the newest version of your M/60). The Danish company Madsen also made a mashinepistol used by our police before they adopted the H&K MP5. Madsen also made a automatic rifle very similar to the H&K G3 but because of our stupid politics we can not produce weapons for sale to other countries so it was never put in production because the Danish army didn't adopt it.

So sorry never seen the SIG MG51.

It is true we have the H&K USP but only in small numbers (we also have Glock 26 and 19 and STI).

Any way the H&K USP was used by our Soecial Forces. They discovered misfunction when the gun was mounted with silencer, laser, flashlight etc. so they canceled it and bought the STI. So this relatively small amount of H&K was send "down in command" to our MP.

To answer your question the SIG by fare outnumber the other mentioned pistols and is (for a year or two more) the official sidearm.

Serial number:

0001-16607 Danish pistols HTK - 1948-52
16608-25513 Danish pistols FKF - 1953-
35025-36441 Danish pistols FKF

Regarding SIG's being sold the only information I have is we simply did have too many pistols.

posted Hide Post
Another post is mentioning the French SACM Mle 35.A. I'll try to give a few details regarding the "French Connection".

In 1937 SIG bought the rights of the French "Petter-pistol". This pistol is the foundation of the SIG 210. The designer of the "Petter-pistol" was however not French. In fact he was from Switzerland. His name was Charles Petter. He worked in France for "Société Alsacienne de Constructions Méchaniques" (SACM). Some claim DACM in fact owned by SIG.

The 1935A was also produced by the NAZI's when they occupied France. Just like the produced weapons in any other country the occupied.

posted Hide Post
I'm sure you all know what SIG stands for: Schweizerische Industries-Gesellschaft (freely translated: Switzerlands Industrial-Company).

What most SIG owners how ever does not know, is that SIG was not a weapon company from the beginning.

The company started as a product of the railway development in the beginning of the 19 century. In 1860 the company got a fourth director who had weapons experience (colonel Burnard). Not until 1890 did SIG start up pistol production. A small amount of Mannlicher was produced for the Schweiz military pistol trial.

SIG interest for pistol production was on very low level after this since their own army did choose the German Borchardt/Luger pistol. In 1920 they got back on track (not the railrode track. Sorry some Danish humor). They produced a smaller amount of the Chylewskis pistol. After this 15 years had to go by, before they got into pistols again. SIG bought the Petters patent. This was the beginning of what we see today.

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Interesting, especially the source that is mentioning Edouard Burnard. (He was in charge for the transformation of the Prélaz-Burnard rifle and the production of the model 1863 infantery rifle). Do you mind sharing the info on the article or the book you got your information from. I'm looking for additional quotable sources (printmedia) for my library. The language is not important. I'm fine with both Danish and Swedish. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OTD,

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you mind sharing the info on the article or the book you got your information from. I'm looking for additional quotable sources (printmedia) for my library. The language is not important. I'm fine with both Danish and Swedish. Thanks.

Not at all. Some of the info is workrelatet. I'm a infantry officer in the Danish army. At some point I served in the Army Material Command and had access to the original report about why Denmark chose the SIG 210 and not the HP or 1911A1. All 3 where being tested in order to find a new handgun (strangely though that they where not in same caliber). Unfurtenetly this information is now longer in my "neighborhood" how ever about 30 or more years ago a Scandinavian gun magazine (printed in Norway and a Norwegian gun enthusiasts behind) was issue unfurtenetly only for a year or two. See pictures below. In issue number 14 (for some reason the magazines are not dated) there was the best article about the SIG 210 I've ever seen. The article was named: "From Petters pistol to SIG P210. The journey forward was both long and narrow".

Regarding Bernard he together with the gunsmith Prélaz did construct a (don't know the right English word) "back-loading-rifle" with a cylinder bolt/lock. This rifle however, was never put into actual serieproduction. Later SIG did make and delivered the barrels and bolt-housing etc. for the Schmidt Rubin guns. In 1890 a corporation with Manuel Mondragon was established and culminated when the automatic rifle 1908 was made. It was chambered for the Mauser 7x57 mm cartridge and used in small numbers by the Germans in WW I.

PS I have been a shooting teacher primarily on the 210 for over 30 years, still pushing. We have instructors, who are the ones who are doing the most shooting with shooters. Teachers are few in numbers and some levels above. Among other things we teach the instructors. So somewhere along the line I picked up a few pieces of information about the 210. Here we actually call it the "Neuhausen". No soldier is aware it's real name is SIG 210. I'm sure you know the original factory was placed in the town Neuhausen (New House).

On a side note one of the things that the Danish military had canceled on the Danish pistols, was the loaded chamber indicator.

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I know some article of John Walter, but I was not aware of him writing soemthing about the SIG pistol.

I recommend the book "Begegnung mit einer Legende" by Armbruster/Kessler, if you like some more information on the P210.

I know Neuhausen. I grew up near by Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the information. I know some article of John Walter, but I was not aware of him writing soemthing about the SIG pistol.

I recommend the book "Begegnung mit einer Legende" by Armbruster/Kessler, if you like some more information on the P210.

I know Neuhausen. I grew up near by Wink

If you want I can scan the article and mail to you. I have several army friends in Switzerland.

One day soon I'm hoping to jump on my BMW bike and go see them.