SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 x5 recoil spring life expectancy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 x5 recoil spring life expectancy Login/Join 
posted
How long does a stock recoil spring last in a P320 x5. I shoot mild loads of 124 gr acme bullets with 3.6 grains of titegroup. I think the stock spring is 15#. Can anyone help me with this. Thanks

Posts: 28 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: October 08, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. One question. Since the slides are different between the x5 and a full size P320 would there be a difference in spring life expectancy.

Posts: 28 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: October 08, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course some others here have vastly different experiences as this is someone that on multiple guns went likely 50K+ rounds without changing anything...including recoil springs.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4180001264
That would not be my choice but here we are in terms of that specific experience.
The P320 testing went 12K rounds no issues so I would be inclined to think that's kind of a minimum...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a test for the recoil spring in a 320 like there is for a Glock?

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I always tell people that recoil springs are cheap. I change them before 5k usually.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering I shoot about 10K a year then changing the spring yearly would be a safe bet. Thank you all for the excellent advice.
When I do change the recoil assembly should I stay with stock or go to an oem setup.

posted Hide Post
The data I see including posts here and the military trials failure rate suggest these last way longer than other Pseries SIG's. But in any case I have not a clue what the difference between stock? or OEM means?? I'd use a SIG OEM spring and move on.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The data I see including posts here and the military trials failure rate suggest these last way longer than other Pseries SIG's. But in any case I have not a clue what the difference between stock? or OEM means?? I'd use a SIG OEM spring and move on.

OEM refers to separate recoil rod and spring. That design gives me more flexibility in choosing different spring rates depending on my specific bullet loads.

posted Hide Post
Not the words I would use to describe that. But in any case once you move past what SIG ships any data others have using the stock system are not relevant and null. You are on your own. I'd then change springs way more often like as jlfjones suggests or even earlier. aftermarket springs in my experience suck.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Not the words I would use to describe that. But in any case once you move past what SIG ships any data others have using the stock system are not relevant and null. You are on your own. I'd then change springs way more often like as jlfjones suggests or even earlier. aftermarket springs in my experience suck.

Point well taken. Since the P320 was only purchased this month I'll go with changing every 5K or twice a year. I appreciate the advice on not using any aftermarket parts and will stick with stock recoil spring assembly.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsvedell:
Considering I shoot about 10K a year then changing the spring yearly would be a safe bet. Thank you all for the excellent advice.
When I do change the recoil assembly should I stay with stock or go to an oem setup.

Genuine = Stock = OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
Those terms all mean the same thing.

I have a P320 Full Size that I converted to run the common 1911 springs available in a multitude of weights.
This is an "uncaptured" recoil spring assembly.
OEM is a captured assembly and 16lbs in power.

For tuning the pistol to your loads, the uncaptured 1911 system is superior to OEM.
Replacing just the 1911 spring is also cheaper than replacing the entire OEM RSA.

The X5 Legion I believe comes with the uncaptured 1911 style RSA.

To convert you buy the Fat Rod from either:
Gray Guns
Springer
Galloway
Make sure you select the correct rod for your pistol.

Taylor Tactical on Ebay has the best deals on spring kits.
Nic Taylor's Ebay storefront.

DD
Who is now accepting Bass Pro as well as the traditional Cabela's gift cards for his excellent internet answers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DirectDrive,

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:

I have a P320 Full Size that I converted to run the common 1911 springs available in a multitude of weights.
OEM is a captured recoil spring assembly and 16lbs in power for P320F and X5.

For tuning the pistol to your loads, the uncaptured 1911 system is superior to OEM.
Replacing just the 1911 spring is also cheaper than replacing the entire OEM RSA.

Gray Guns
Springer
Galloway

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Gray Guns
Springer
Galloway

Thanks for the advice. It seems that some members prefer to stay stock while others go the modify route. I only shoot indoors using about 150 rounds twice a week and do not compete due to bad hand tremors. With that info do you think it's still wise to go the modified route. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gray Guns
Springer
Galloway

Thanks for the advice. It seems that some members prefer to stay stock while others go the modify route. I only shoot indoors using about 150 rounds twice a week and do not compete due to bad hand tremors. With that info do you think it's still wise to go the modified route. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Seeing how SIG uses the uncaptured RSA system in the X5 Legion, says that it is a smart way to go.
It's amazing how well my P320F works with the 1911 recoil spring system.
It really should have shipped that way and once you see it, you'll agree.

Low volume shooters will be fine with the OEM captured RSA.
High volume shooters/competitors are going to naturally gravitate to the 1911 uncapatured RSA.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gray Guns
Springer
Galloway

Seeing how SIG uses the uncaptured RSA system in the X5 Legion, says that it is a smart way to go.

High volume shooters/competitors are going to naturally gravitate to the 1911 uncapatured RSA.

Which guide rod did you go with. Also sometimes my brass ejects in front of the gun. What causes that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gray Guns
Springer
Galloway

Which guide rod did you go with. Also sometimes my brass ejects in front of the gun. What causes that.

I went with the Gray Guns offering which included a 15lb spring.
And I also grabbed the Nic Taylor color-coded spring kit (15,14,13,12,11) for $25.

Not sure what is causing your forward ejection.
If you have an optic, maybe it is hitting that ?