SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US Secret Service Adopts Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS; Retiring P229 .357 Sig
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Secret Service Adopts Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS; Retiring P229 .357 Sig Login/Join 
posted
I found out today from a co-worker that the US Secret Service is retiring their P229 .357s and replacing them with the Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS in 9mm. The information also indicates that the Gen 5 Glock 26 and the Gen 5 Glock 47 MOS, which was specifically designed for US Customs and Border Patrol, will also be utilized. It looks like field agents will use the G19 while USSS Special Operations will carry the G47.

This closes the chapter on a long and successful career for the P229 .357 with the USSS. I can't think of a better pistol for that cartridge.

I'm not sure of what the USSS 9mm duty load will be, but just for fun I'm saying that it will be a 147-grain HST or Gold Dot G2.

The Tactical Life article indicates that the P320 was tested but apparently didn't make the cut, though no reasons as to why were given, so take that with a degree of caution until more is made public.

I know that the Glock generates a lot of mixed emotions in the firearms community, but as an owner of several Gen 5 Glock 9mms, I've got to say, I think Glock really upped its game after the initial Gen 4 mess, and that effort is now bearing fruit with the Gen 5.

Thoughts?

http://soldiersystems.net/2019...19-mos-gen-5-in-9mm/

https://www.tactical-life.com/...ce-glock-19-pistols/

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should go hst to perfectly copy my loadout.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe they currently use Gold Dots, not that it means anything.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VANQUISH:
I believe they currently use Gold Dots, not that it means anything.

Yep, I believe that's right.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
They currently use Gold Dots in 357.

What contract was the 47 for? DHS? Whatever contract the did the 47 for I think that contract also had Hornady critical duty ammo attached to it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes sense; I just had to look as I'd forgotten. Secret Service was moved to DHS from Treasury when that department was being formed.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
And, with the FBI using the same pistol, buying quantities overall go up, and spare parts support is easier.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if their 229's will hit the CPO/used market, or is that a no no?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Make no mistake, GLOCk got tired of being out Glock’d by SIG. The price point is giving the guns away. The contract has no ceiling. This was an intentional move on Glocks part, but you won’t hear anyone complain about the “lowest bidder” like when SIG went dirt cheap on the military contract.

Glock isn’t done. At the end of the day, expect to hear real soon other SIG centric DHS agencies going Glock.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
Thoughts?
Great choice for a duty firearm.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
And, with the FBI using the same pistol, buying quantities overall go up, and spare parts support is easier.

No.

The FBI got their guns at a much, much higher bid price. The feeb also has a cap on the number of pistols purchased. The DHS contact is almost $100 cheaper and has no cap.

While it’s a good pistol, this decision (and the ones to come) was all about the money. SIG did not even come close in price. I would not be surprised if the FBI doesn’t try to buy guns off of the CBP contract. Or try to renegotiate.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:

Typically, that would be the case in a Sig to Sig move. Like if they'd gone to 320s. I'm not saying it won't happen, but how is Sig going to get them to recondition? If Glock gave anything for them in trade value, we might see them whored out on the surplus market, but I doubt they'll be red box CPOs from Sig. Again, I could be wrong about how that works.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

The guns are headed toward a shredder.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

The guns are headed toward a shredder.

Damn

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good choice but I'm surprised they didn't go with P320.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Will Sig be discontinuing all non LE and non Gov 357 Sig P229's and P226's because of the agency desertions?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have to believe the 320 costs more to produce/recoup R&D etc. then any Glock as Glocks haven’t drastically changed in decades.

I suspect SIG can not afford to give guns away so to speak as easily as Glock does, especially after the .Mil contracts.

Both are good platforms but assuming I am purchasing and Glock comes along cheaper with a LONG history of reliability, durability and support I am going with Glock even if they come in a couple bucks more. The fact that they are very likely to be set up to come in cheaper makes it a no brainer.

No dig on the 320, just when you have two fairly equal platforms if you can come in cheaper AND have history to back it up....tough to go with the new kid.

......of course the strippers and blow probably help too Big Grin Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I would think .357SIG is basically on life support. People talk about .40 but there are bajillions of .40 handguns out there and .357SIG was always just this side of a niche cartridge at best.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not quite on life support yet, but likely circling the drain. There are still a number of larger LE agencies using .357 SIG, but many users (including some of the largest agencies) are switching to 9mm, and I expect that trend to continue.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I’m sure it’s largely financial but I’ll always take another data point to confirm what I like/chose, when I argue about Glocks with my buddies....ha!

Joking aside, it’s interesting to see Glock’s approach here to stop Sig from taking more market share.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post