SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US Secret Service Adopts Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS; Retiring P229 .357 Sig
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Secret Service Adopts Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS; Retiring P229 .357 Sig Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
Nobody wants to discuss a rumored 6,000 round service life of current .357 SIGs; the fact that CBP selection process was supposedly run with a heavy user input and the results were respected, not disputed; that it gives considerable size versatility vs one size fits all; that CBP Glocks are RDS-capable...
Then again, this being a SIG forum, when SIG pistol is deselected, people get their heartburn.

LOL.

Rumored. I am happy to discuss it.

FAMS have a ton of guns in service north of 15k. FAMS generally have 5k down the pipe after FlETC and the academy in NJ. At least within the first year. USSS does as well. It’s also even more surprising that they do not maintain their guns real well.

You might actually want to know what you are talking about instead of engaging in rumors.

I’d be real careful in talking about the testing. You just never know when a recall may be coming for issues that were recently uncovered.

But you feel free to continue doing you.

Quite true, a good friend of mine has gone through 4 rebuilds and 2 frames since I met him in 2004.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We had a gen3 31 with about 18k rounds through it. RSA changes at 4k rounds and had one locking block pin broken but it still shot great when we traded it in for gen4s.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would rather get a new Gen5 G19 FS
when dealers get them in a few weeks, and have my slide milled out for a MRDS.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
The GLOCK is King. Good choice, will serve them well.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The Glock 19 is to the 2010's what the S&W 10 was to 1975

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
I thought the USSS would’ve gone to the P-228/M11, as they had before.

Besides the fact that the 228 is out of production and the 228 did not hold up to high volume shooting why they do that ?

It’s like asking why wouldn’t they just go back to the .357 revolvers they had before the P228s ?

I like 228s enough that I own one but time marches on and the era of metal framed hammer fired guns as issued LE duty guns in coming to an end. They are not cost effective for agencies or manufacturers.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
What is the justification for sending the guns to the shredder??

Is it the political fallout if one is later used in a crime or shows up in some terrorist's hand??

In the mid 1990s as agencies transitioning from revolvers to autos and among calibers in autos many PD trade in guns were sold cheap and began turning up a crime scenes. Gun control advocates seized on this as an issue I.e. “guns bought to protect us” being sold and used in crimes.

As a result the Clinton administration issued an executive order barring the sale or trade of federal LE agency firearms. This was later codified in the code of federal regulations. 49 CFR if I recall correctly. As it stands right now, the only lawful disposition for surplus fed LE Agency Guns is destruction or transfer to another Govt. agency.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
That’s fine. Put a pin in what I said and we ll discuss it in the future when more data on the USSS and DHS testing is released.

Did USSS do their own testing or did they rely on the CBP testing ?

Though Glock got the CBP contract the P320 PRO models also passed the CBP testing.

Such testing is normally covered by NDA so I assume you are talking about one of the manufacturers involved releasing data on their own submissions ?

The CBP testing process itself is interesting in the way they incorporated end user input and used an outside party to do the actual testing.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
USSS did their own.

Testing always finds its way out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jljones,

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
I will bank on jljones. Wink

I hope the forthcoming problems are not 320 related. We already have a hard time selling them. And we are sitting on around 20 examples. Other than the X5 and M17 we haven't sold a 320 in a few months. Regards 18DAI

I will bank that JlJones wouldn't hint at anything degrading the Sig below a Glock; nor anything propping up Glock over a Sig.

So with that said I'm betting on some issue with long term Gen5 Glocks.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CBP did not put the various manufacturers who submitted pistols under an NDA,so any of them are free to release their results, should they choose to do so.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:

Then again, this being a SIG forum, when SIG pistol is deselected, people get their heartburn.

I am guessing you are not aware of the You will buy a Glock thread.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
I thought the USSS would’ve gone to the P-228/M11, as they had before.

Besides the fact that the 228 is out of production and the 228 did not hold up to high volume shooting why they do that ?

It’s like asking why wouldn’t they just go back to the .357 revolvers they had before the P228s ?

I like 228s enough that I own one but time marches on and the era of metal framed hammer fired guns as issued LE duty guns in coming to an end. They are not cost effective for agencies or manufacturers.

Last I checked the M11 is still made, same trigger system, same holsters and magazine pouches, same manual of arms.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Money savings is what drives many agencies when it comes time to replace their issued sidearms. As most everyone knows, the G19 is also a well respected firearm for issue to LE.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Old thread but I can now add that Counter Assault Team (CAT) guys are getting two. Glock 29 19 and Glock 47.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P210,

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
G29 seems like an odd choice.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
G29 seems like an odd choice.

I agree and will check again in the am. May have been the G-19 everyone else is getting. There was a lot going on when the discussion took place. The G-47 is for sure though.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I thought the same when I saw the G29 in this thread. I believe he probably means G26.

USSS SOD Glock 47

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
OK, it’s G-19 & G-47, which makes more sense. Changeover in December.

Picture of GataGunner
posted Hide Post
As I just bought an Aim Surplus LEO trade-in P226 in .357 Sig, this thread interests me. Hopefully this means we get more cheap .357 Sig pistols.

Posts: 64 | Registered: January 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post