SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US Secret Service Adopts Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS; Retiring P229 .357 Sig
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Secret Service Adopts Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS; Retiring P229 .357 Sig Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Next to USMS, the USSS is one of the best agencies at developing & maintaining shooting proficiencies. I think there move to Glocks creates an immeasurable loss of prestige for Sig.
Time will tell playing it forward through sales numbers.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think there move to Glocks creates an immeasurable loss of prestige for Sig.

Maybe, but Sig still got the BIG contract, the US Military. No loss of prestige there.

Sad to see the Sig go as it was the quintessential "Fed gun" for a long time. 9mm is my preferred caliber but dam, carrying the 357 Sig does have a certain panache to it Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Next to USMS, the USSS is one of the best agencies at developing & maintaining shooting proficiencies. I think there move to Glocks creates an immeasurable loss of prestige for Sig.
Time will tell playing it forward through sales numbers.

I'm pretty sure SIG is ok with their prestige and business model.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glock and SIG are doing just fine in US / Military / LE circles. Both have won some, both have lost some.

It's Beretta which has taken an a$$whooping over the last couple of years.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Glock and SIG are doing just fine in US / Military / LE circles. Both have won some, both have lost some.

Exactly. "immeasurable loss of prestige for Sig"? Some people watch too much drama.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

And sadly, S&W pistols seem to be dead in the FED arena.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
well shit.

I've been thinking of moving to 9mm from 357. I see 357 dying rather quickly now.

will the air marshals follow suit I wonder.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
well shit.

I've been thinking of moving to 9mm from 357. I see 357 dying rather quickly now.

will the air marshals follow suit I wonder.
When the beancounters look at the cost of new P229s in 357 and magazines / ammo, vs the G19/26/47 option available via this contract, it's a certainty!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the justification for sending the guns to the shredder??

Is it the political fallout if one is later used in a crime or shows up in some terrorist's hand??

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I love Glock. I have many of them but the .357 and the p229 has a special place in my heart and safe. I carry one often in the winter months. I guess I’m more disappointed that they are dropping the caliber than anything.

I wish they would have offered them a G5 lineup in .357 Sig.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
What is the justification for sending the guns to the shredder??

Is it the political fallout if one is later used in a crime or shows up in some terrorist's hand??

I can’t think of any other good reason.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Do you recall how Sig marketed the P226 & P229? How the SEAL teams & USSS selected their products? Hell & back reliability? It’s called prestige. There are lot of folks who bought into that marketing prestige. I don’t watch any drama at all. Just in touch with the realities of modern & contemporary business...
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Exactly. "immeasurable loss of prestige for Sig"? Some people watch too much drama.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t watch any drama at all. Just in touch with the realities of modern & contemporary business...
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Ok, then, explain to me how the USSS going to Glock "creates an immeasurable loss of prestige for Sig", when the US military, the government's biggest organization, is going SIG left and right? You might not watch drama at all, but your statement is simply full of drama, and that was my point.

Beretta would be a more appropriate example of "immeasurable loss of prestige", as they got nothing with the US military now. SIG? They are doing plenty superb.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t watch any drama at all. Just in touch with the realities of modern & contemporary business...

This is the internet, sir...you aren't allowed to have an articulate, informed opinion that differs from someone else's. Razz

Posts: 1143 | Location: Southeastern Virginia | Registered: November 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody wants to discuss a rumored 6,000 round service life of current .357 SIGs; the fact that CBP selection process was supposedly run with a heavy user input and the results were respected, not disputed; that it gives considerable size versatility vs one size fits all; that CBP Glocks are RDS-capable...
Then again, this being a SIG forum, when SIG pistol is deselected, people get their heartburn.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
Nobody wants to discuss a rumored 6,000 round service life of current .357 SIGs; the fact that CBP selection process was supposedly run with a heavy user input and the results were respected, not disputed; that it gives considerable size versatility vs one size fits all; that CBP Glocks are RDS-capable...
Then again, this being a SIG forum, when SIG pistol is deselected, people get their heartburn.

I've been issued a Glock for almost 20 years.
I don't think a compact 9mm excels for that particular intended LE purpose.
I'd love to hear more about an alleged 6000-round service life.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Southeastern Virginia | Registered: November 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:

LOL.

Rumored. I am happy to discuss it.

FAMS have a ton of guns in service north of 15k. FAMS generally have 5k down the pipe after FlETC and the academy in NJ. At least within the first year. USSS does as well. It’s also even more surprising that they do not maintain their guns real well.

You might actually want to know what you are talking about instead of engaging in rumors.

I’d be real careful in talking about the testing. You just never know when a recall may be coming for issues that were recently uncovered.

But you feel free to continue doing you.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am no FAM, which is why I used "rumored". Posted by a diplomatic security service officer on another site, referring to FAMs service weapons. I am open to your info just as much. Pretty much equal weight.

That said, when I read a bunch of posts with "outbid", "lower cost", "one big reason cost", "garbage gun", "garbage caliber", without any reflection on what actual gun/group of guns were selected, what do they offer over vs lose to what they are replacing, what was the selection process, what it replaced and how that compares to 229, I get a predictable reaction of this discussion being no better in content than any rumors I've heard.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Ask yourself this. Should a pistol just stop grouping at 10k rounds or stop functioning?

Think about that and we’ll discuss it in the coming weeks...

And it is predictable that Glock fanboys are losing their minds over the lowest bidder comments.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
That’s fine. Put a pin in what I said and we ll discuss it in the future when more data on the USSS and DHS testing is released.

www.opspectraining.com