SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US Secret Service Adopts Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS; Retiring P229 .357 Sig
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Secret Service Adopts Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS; Retiring P229 .357 Sig Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Wonder if their 229's will hit the CPO/used market, or is that a no no?

The guns are headed toward a shredder.

Damn

quick someone call bench made

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is, unfortunately, the federal way. Officers cannot even buy their duty weapon. The most that feds can do is transfer to another federal agency, and then the guns can be transferred that one time. The receiving agency has to use them and then destroy them by regulation. They are not allowed to pass them on in turn even if they wanted to.

I suspect the SS guns won't even go up for transferal. They will be destroyed.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
It seems like Glock and Sig are the only players in town -- or at least for the Feds.

Are there others makers in play at the fed level now that Beretta and S&W have been retired, or is it just Glock and Sig?

I know the Army has a smallish supply of some H&K (and others), but those are small quantities compared to the mainstream contracts.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I'd have to guess it was all about money too. They could probably buy 2 Glocks for the price of one Sig.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I will still carry a P229 Legion in 357 Sig. Proudly.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
There must be warehousefulls of orphaned 357 Sig practice and duty ammo.

What happens to all that?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Just because and agency adopts a new sidearm does not mean all the sidearms and ammunition in inventory gets dumped in a single day.

Sometimes agencies issue the "new" model to recruits, older agents are allowed to keep using and qualifying with the service weapon they already have. The new guns are phased in by class, and the old guns are phased out as officers/agents retire.

It's possible that the USSS could keep existing .357 SIG rounds in inventory, and keep issuing existing stock till it runs out.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
The first link stated that all USSS agents will be equipped with the Glock.

The second link had TLR7, which I assume is the light issued with the 19 and said the SureFire x300 for the 47.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

If not used in the time it takes to transition, likely over to the FAMs or dumped on the civie market maybe?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
357SIG was always just this side of a niche cartridge at best.

Perhaps, but I love it and have enough of it to last a lifetime. And I shoot it in Sigs!

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

If not used in the time it takes to transition, likely over to the FAMs or dumped on the civie market maybe?

Neither the USSS or FAMS are sitting on huge stock piles. They will be close to zero when the transition is complete. Manufacturers have made and shipped less and less each year.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Compared to 357 Sig Pistols, I think the Secret Service is switching to a garbage gun in a garbage caliber.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Southeastern Virginia | Registered: November 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rottweiler:
Compared to 357 Sig Pistols, I think the Secret Service is switching to a garbage gun in a garbage caliber.

But, But, But, it's a Glock. And they "fixed" the 9mm a couple of years ago Smile Wink

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I handled a P320 x carry the other day. I wanted an optic ready pistol. I walked out with a Gen 5 G19 MOS.

The X carry looked really cool but felt chintzy with a spongy Trigger.

Sorry, I’m sure the 320 is a good platform but it felt awkward and top heavy.

The Glock is ugly but felt right. It is THE duty weapon.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

But, But, But, it's a Glock. And they "fixed" the 9mm a couple of years ago Smile Wink

What's funny is I spent 20 years defending 9mm in the right loads, now I spend all my time defending .40 and even .45 because someone read the FBI position paper.

I've been issued a Glock since about 2001, and they're perfectly acceptable combat firearms...but going from a classic Sig in 357 to a Glock in 9mm, to me, is far from an upgrade.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Southeastern Virginia | Registered: November 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What's funny is I spent 20 years defending 9mm in the right loads, now I spend all my time defending .40 and even .45 because someone read the FBI position paper.

I've been issued a Glock since about 2001, and they're perfectly acceptable combat firearms...but going from a classic Sig in 357 to a Glock in 9mm, to me, is far from an upgrade.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes That's just silly talk right there.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Wonder if their 229's will hit the CPO/used market, or is that a no no?

Not acceptable and such a waste of money. The Sig's residual value is more than the price of the Glock's!

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
9mm and Glock is winning more and more with LE for one big reason. Cost. The other big reason is because they both work just fine.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

Just because and agency adopts a new sidearm does not mean all the sidearms and ammunition in inventory gets dumped in a single day.

Sometimes agencies issue the "new" model to recruits, older agents are allowed to keep using and qualifying with the service weapon they already have. The new guns are phased in by class, and the old guns are phased out as officers/agents retire.

It's possible that the USSS could keep existing .357 SIG rounds in inventory, and keep issuing existing stock till it runs out.

This. I had a RAC that still carries his original issued P229 in 40 to this day. Liked it better than the Glock’s the agency switched to. Our Resident Office still had/has an unissued/unfired P229 in the Armory that is on the inventory.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post