SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New 320x5, Dislike the Small Fiber Front Sight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 320x5, Dislike the Small Fiber Front Sight Login/Join 
posted
I know I should know this, but can I change the front sight fiber optic rod to the a larger (diameter) rod and fit into the original front sight drilling? The dot is just way too small for me to pick up (like the orange better anyway). Or do I have to replace the front sight altogether?

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, you can't put a 1.5mm rod into a 1mm hole.

If you want to experiment with it, you can vary the size of the knob you melt up on the end.
Fibre is $6 a metre at http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Archery.htm
so there is maybe a hundred tries.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
The sight on your X5 is a Dawson, and they are small. I wouldn't try drilling it out, I highly doubt it'll work.
Ameriglo's fiber optic front sight is larger in diameter, you might try that. I don't know what the width of that sight it though, might fill up your rear sight.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I cut the fiber out,per the instructions,and then use a lighter to mushroom the end of the FO rod.

I then slide the rod into the sight, trim it to the proper length and use the lighter to mushroom the untouched end of the FO rod.

This allows me to make the FO the same width as the sight blade.

I buy my FO rod by the meter. When it get all funky I replace it with new rod.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks all for the responses. I'm new to FO,never changed one (till now) so I wasn't sure of the possibilities. Seems to be sorted out now.

Broke out the original Green FO, replaced with the Red but when torching the (viewing) end I melted a little more and longer which made a larger bead for me to now see.

Also it seems that the green FO shines less than the red so it looks smaller.

live and learn.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Most people find green brighter than red given the same size dot, but a larger bulb on the end will look brighter than the original, regardless of the color.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post