SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anybody changed JUST the front sight on their Glock? What sizes to go with?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Anybody changed JUST the front sight on their Glock? What sizes to go with? Login/Join 
Picture of jcat
posted
Just curious if anyone's done this. I actually don't mind the factory rear sight on the Glocks but know there are obvious advantages to something like the Triji HD or Ameriglo orange outlined sights up front.

Ameriglo does sell just the front sight, so I'm wondering if anyone's done it and what sizes you went with to work with the factory rear.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, the Trijicon HD front sight is too tall to work with the factory rear.

With a quick Google, you can find the height of the factory front sight, and compare it to the heights listed on the Ameriglo/Trijicon websites.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I've done just the front with Ameriglo. It works fine until I broke the factory rear goofing around. Now I always buy as a set.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
I've done just the front with Ameriglo. It works fine until I broke the factory rear goofing around. Now I always buy as a set.

Same here..put one on my G34, the orange really helped me pick up the front sight. I just used the one recommended for my model- worked fine. Damn eyes are not what they used to be!

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I shot ameriglo a quick email for guidance on sight sizes. We'll see what they say.

That said, the front sight will cost $70, where a full set would cost $90-120. I was trying to avoid messing with the rear sight but it doesn't make much sense at that cost to skip it.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I would get both if its going to be $20 especially if this gun is going to have any defensive role.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Hehehe, the Glock bug finally got ya. Welcome to the club, the waters fine. Wink

posted Hide Post
I did the Ameriglo CAP front sight with an older trijicon rear sight on my 26. Works great since the rear is slightly dimmer. Probably due to age. It does help me find that front sight quickly.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Report This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
You can get steel sights that are an exact copy of the plastic ones that came with the gun. You can order them through Glock.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Hehehe, the Glock bug finally got ya. Welcome to the club, the waters fine. Wink

In a big way buddy. I never forgot our little bet, I made it to 6k all together between the two FN pistols before they met their untimely demise.

Any potential buyers remorse I had disappeared when I short the 34

No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Just get rid of the plastic dove tail protector that Glock provides.

Check Ameriglo Glock sights on e-bay, I found the complete set of Hackathorn sights for what a front sight alone would cost ($65 +/-). The i-dots were running about $90. I have purchased 3 sets from different vendors and have not had any problems with the merchandise.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Just get rid of the plastic dove tail protector that Glock provides.

Check Ameriglo Glock sights on e-bay, I found the complete set of Hackathorn sights for what a front sight alone would cost ($65 +/-). The i-dots were running about $90. I have purchased 3 sets from different vendors and have not had any problems with the merchandise.

Good tip on Ebay, a lot cheaper on there.

I'm thinking I might go with the CAP sights because I like the hackathorns but would like the extra reference point on the rear sight.

FWIW, and anyone that doesn't know, apparently all glocks use a .165" high front sight, the difference is in the height of the rear sight. 9mm/40/357 use a .256" height rear, 45/10mm use a .272" height rear. Hopefully this info helps anyone looking to mix and match.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I like ameriglo pro i-dot sights, well made and reasonably priced ($80-90).

I had some Trijicon HDs on a SIG and HK, liked them well enough but after going Ameriglo, I noticed how wide the HD front sight was.

Stick with Glock for awhile and I'll make good on the bet with some OEM Glock mags if you like. Wink

Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
This works for me.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
For a range pistol I love a green F/O sight with the factory black rear sight.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Idot pros. Picked every set of mine up for $70.
Price can't be beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Amerigl...-Green/dp/B006QP7R9A

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Just an update to this, I wound up purchasing a set of Ameriglo CAP orange sights in the G17 flavor to replace the factory adjustable set on my G34. As Ameriglo said, the gun now shoots POA instead of 6 o clock hold.

Also, what a great sights system they are. I could see how I dots would be good too, but the square orange front sight with the orange line rear just works for my eyes. Super quick, and easy to pick up.

In fact, I just picked up another set each for my 21 and 19, from the same seller on ebay. Wound up with each set for around $64, so I got 3 pistols set up with slightly more than the cost of one set of trijicon HDs.