SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Legion Mainsprings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legion Mainsprings Login/Join 
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted
Did Sig reduce the length of 229 mainsprings or is this just a Legion thing?

Picked up a 229 Legion yesterday and found the spring is shorter.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The legions use the E2 strut spring assembly. Looks like they will eventually standardize to this if they already haven't.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The mainspring seat and strut of the newer SIG pistols have changed to work with the E2 grip, but the mainspring itself should be the same length. If not, I’d be interested in a photo.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that the same mainspring is used for both hammer strut assembly types. I've installed E2 and non-E2 at various times on P226 and P229.

Top is non-E2 (LONG base), bottom is E2 (SHORT base:

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I was going to put a reduced power mainspring in it but the spring is much too long for the strut.

The reduced power springs are longer but have a smaller dia wire.

Bob

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am confused by your brief posts, but if the reduced power spring was made by Wolff, they offer two versions, one for the old style long strut and metal seat, and one for the current shorter struts and plastic seats pictured above. I suspect you got the long spring for older SIGs.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I have both long and short Wolff springs in my parts bin.
What I am saying is the E2 springs are shorter than the recent short springs.

It seems there are 3 different struts these days.

Bob

posted Hide Post
Are the mainsprings in the legions colored?
I had action jobs done on my m11's and the enhanced mainsprings are yellow.

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueinterceptor:
I had action jobs done on my m11's and the enhanced mainsprings are yellow.

Interesting. Factory action job?

I don’t have any experience with Legion models, but the only color-coded SIG factory mainsprings I’ve seen are the red springs used in DAK models, and a spring marked with yellow paint that SIG rated at 18 pounds (whatever that might mean). The yellow paint springs have less power than the standard mainsprings used in DA/SA guns and were reportedly used in DAO pistols for a time. I acquired a few yellow springs years ago to do some testing and found that the one I tried did not provide reliable ignition in a DAO P229, so it went into my spares box. It would be interesting to know if the yellow paint springs have been resurrected for use in action packages.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If not, I’d be interested in a photo.

Got one for you!

I was just looking at a newer long extractor E2 P229 and discovered this.

E2 spring on right.

I'm out of time right now, but tomorrow I will compare the spring installed height of the E2 spring, strut, and seat with the newer style spring, strut, and seat.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post