SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365XL w/ flush base plates and clearing double feeds issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365XL w/ flush base plates and clearing double feeds issue Login/Join 
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted
This may, or may not, be of interest to anyone with the XL or XL grip module on their P365. I posted the following information, as a response, in one or two other threads. I then thought it might be good to do a separate thread so everyone with XL flush fit mags would be more likely to see it.

While practicing clearing a double feed from my XL, with flush fit mags, I had a significant issue. I set up my XL by locking the slide open and putting a snap cap in the chamber. A mag, with the flush fit base, loaded with a snap cap, was inserted and the slide was slowly released.

I struggled for a L-O-N-G time trying to strip the mag because I couldn't get a good grip on the base plate.

One solution is to use the 15 round mags. Another possible solution is to use a slightly extended base plate like this one . I am not affiliated with this company.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10-7 - I will be the first to say thank you for posting this information and sharing your results..I carry everyday my P365XL lower on my P365 upper with a flush 12 round mag in the pistol and another one in my left front pocket...I have not practiced a rapid mag change as you explained, which is a mistake on my part for not having done this when I was running my first 240 rounds thru this modified set up I am running...

With this said can you provide a link to the mag base you posted please....I will get 3 of these on order today...Thanks again for creating a new thread on this issue because I did not see it previously....Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarmsp226,

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
https://www.sixaxisdev.com/pro...g-p365-xl-pinky-plus

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you Sir - Just ordered three units and shipping was less than $5.00 total...Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know. Thanks.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Figured this thread was worth a bump because I got these P365XL mag bases in and they are very well built and work as stated.....I know they may be out of stock but get your email on the notification list...For me worth the price...Now my pinky does not slide off during a rapid draw from my IWB holster during target engagement...

Thanks Again 10-7 LEO for posting this great P365XL mag base....No affiliation with this company...Mark

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
This may, or may not, be of interest to anyone with the XL or XL grip module on their P365. I posted the following information, as a response, in one or two other threads. I then thought it might be good to do a separate thread so everyone with XL flush fit mags would be more likely to see it.

While practicing clearing a double feed from my XL, with flush fit mags, I had a significant issue. I set up my XL by locking the slide open and putting a snap cap in the chamber. A mag, with the flush fit base, loaded with a snap cap, was inserted and the slide was slowly released.

I struggled for a L-O-N-G time trying to strip the mag because I couldn't get a good grip on the base plate.

One solution is to use the 15 round mags. Another possible solution is to use a slightly extended base plate like this one . I am not affiliated with this company.

This is why, when I teach Class III malfunction drills, I have students lock the slide back first. In addition to easing stripping the mag, it prevents slide spring pressure from grabbing the top round and holding it against the feed ramp.

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Since attending several tactical pistol classes, I have changed my method to what I described in my OP. The instructors were a mix of Special Forces and a federal police firearms instructor. The focus of the class was speed with combat accuracy. Compared to the traditional method of clearing this type of malfunction, which I was originally taught, the new method is much faster.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
Since attending several tactical pistol classes, I have changed my method to what I described in my OP. The instructors were a mix of Special Forces and a federal police firearms instructor. The focus of the class was speed with combat accuracy. Compared to the traditional method of clearing this type of malfunction, which I was originally taught, the new method is much faster.

But if the pistol’s mag baseplates make it difficult, it’s not faster; it’s slower. I’ve done both ways, and, unless you have no cover/zero time, I’d always use the more sure method. I didn’t find the time difference that great. Perhaps 2 seconds, or 3?

Gear change, like the baseplates you described, will also help, but at extra expense. (Sometimes it’s fun too. Wink )

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Stripping out the magazine to clear a double feed or FTE without locking the slide back first, will damage the feedlips and is not recommended. It’s marginally faster only if the operator has the ability to apply enough dexterity, grip pressure and force to overcome the resistance from the feedlips being bent. I just lock the thing back and go to work. Thanks for reading!

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Clearing double feeds appears to be a possible issue with the "X" type of grip module on the P320.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Clearing double feeds appears to be a possible issue with the "X" type of grip module on the P320.

It isn't. I cann tell you from personal experience that there's still enough of the baseplate available to get a good grip and rip the magazine out.

It's best to do it like a Gen 3/4 Glock, with your thumb on the back of the magazine.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
It isn't.

Good. I was thinking of trying one of these on my 320 someday. (This is more of a long term plan than a priority.)

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post