SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a P220 9mm - Also known as correcting an oft repeated mistake...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a P220 9mm - Also known as correcting an oft repeated mistake... Login/Join 
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:

No Swiss police forces used this P220 type. This P220 is a commerical pistol that was intended for the Swiss market. Made in Eckernförde, shipped to SIGArms Lenzburg and form there exported to the US.

Only SIG/SIGSauer firearms fitting the rules of volontary shooting programs or sanctioned Swiss Army matches got this Swiss proof mark.

Police guns are makred as such and either have a community or cantonal owernship marking while guns of the federal government are marked with a Swiss shield.

Thanks for the info Daniel!

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Now the problem you are about to have is running out of 7.65mm ammo...

Well, that might be a while. I ordered a .30 Luger HP barrel at the same time as the 226 and stocked up on Fiocchi 765A after my Hi-Power came back from Don Williams.

I remember 220parts mentioning that he ordered a 220 in 9x21 direct from Germany. Nowadays, you'd probably have to look into importing one from Italy.

Would love to grab this P220 SAO:

That would be a nice one to have for sure. I've been shopping Brindisi, Italy for many years, but they haven't had one like this.

I'm doing good just to get a pair of P220s in 9mm Steyr.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcs1564:

That would be a nice one to have for sure. I've been shopping Brindisi, Italy for many years, but they haven't had one like this.

I'm doing good just to get a pair of P220s in 9mm Steyr.

I’ve always wanted a 220 SAO in 9mm and may have to call an importer about it on Wednesday.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool.

Once you are able to get in touch with them, let me know if they have any other neat Sigs.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Very nice Mike. Hang on to that one!

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
Very nice Mike. Hang on to that one!

Thanks Allen! Yeah, this one isn’t going anywhere.

Haven’t aeen you sround here lately, hope all is well & Merry Christmas!

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:

Once you are able to get in touch with them, let me know if they have any other neat Sigs.

Will do!

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

posted Hide Post
I decided to bump this old thread because it answered a lot of questions about a recent purchase I made for the exact model the OP has pictured.

Mine looks to be identical in every single aspect with exception to the serial of course (G286205). That's only 14 counts apart. Curious how many of this batch are out there?

The swiss proof mark is also on my barrel. I didn't see any mention of triple serial but assume the OP's item is triple numbered as mine is.

My pistol came in the blue plastic / black latch SIG box with matching serial labels on box end. None of the labels has an actual date stamped. I was hoping to see a date showing the approximate time this was imported.

Thanks to all the folks here adding information, I learned more about this particular model in this single thread than google could offer.

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would be the year of manufacture of the OP's pistol based on the SN? Maybe the date code is on the underside of the slide along with other German proof stamps.
I notice the slide legend reads "Made in Germany" and not "Made in West Germany".

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
What would be the year of manufacture of the OP's pistol based on the SN? Maybe the date code is on the underside of the slide along with other German proof stamps.
I notice the slide legend reads "Made in Germany" and not "Made in West Germany".

The serial number would indicate 1997 proofed year. And a 1997 SIG would no longer have the W. GERMANY roll mark, which ended at some point in 1995.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OP did mention date code KH. Mine has the same date code KH on slide chin. KH = 1997.

Most likely the pistols were put together in 1997 overseas and later imported by "SIGARMS INC." "EXETER-NH-USA".

My question related to no box label date was in reference to when the pistol may have been imported and then originally sold in USA?

Pics can be found in this ended auction:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/962036827

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice looking pistol!

Wouldn’t Sig and all of us benefit if this model was reintroduced? I could see a ton being sold with the current 9mm popularity and 10 round mag limits in some states. A p220 SAO Carry in 9mm would also be sweet. Just my thoughts.

Posts: 399 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
I have the same model. It came with one 9mm mag and I was not able to source additional US mag release versions, but the 38 Super mags were available. The pistol ran fine with 38 Super mags, but I would not want to use it for defensive use. Then I sourced the factory 38 Super barrel and slide catch/ejector converting it to 38 Super.

Love the P220 in 38 Super. Swapping in the 9mm barrel allows me to still run 9mm on the range if desired.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220CDAK:
Wouldn’t Sig and all of us benefit if this model was reintroduced? I could see a ton being sold with the current 9mm popularity and 10 round mag limits in some states. A p220 SAO Carry in 9mm would also be sweet. Just my thoughts.

They don't even need to sell it as a pistol but put a conversion kit out to use on existing P220s. They sell conversion kits for the P320 already so it's not like they haven't done it before.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Very nice score! Love the P220, they’ve always been extremely reliable for us.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post