SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a P220 9mm - Also known as correcting an oft repeated mistake...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a P220 9mm - Also known as correcting an oft repeated mistake... Login/Join 
Picture of mcs1564
posted
I've always been quite fond of the P220 in 9mm having five or six of them over the years. Inevitably, I would get distracted by something "new and shiny" and sell it off to fund something else.

Recently, I had an opportunity to purchase another: thumb release, KH date code, with eight magazines (seven were pretty cleanly modified heel release mags), in excellent condition.

I had a chance to pick it up yesterday. It was dripping in oil, so, I spent more time trying to sop it all up as opposed to taking pictures. Here's a couple of quick pics after close to 30 minutes or so of wiping it down:

One thing that caught my eye is that the barrel has a Swiss proof mark on it. Is this odd to see or just something I just never paid attention to before?

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
SCORE! Eek

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Damn, Mike, that is mint and beautiful! Congrats.

Looks like yours was a Swiss mil/police gun, with that Bern Pressure proof.

This one P228 (KK) was a Swiss police trade-in. It's no longer in my collection.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Sweet!!!

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Looks like you hit the sweet spot with your 9mm.

While I have seen a few with the Swiss proof marks, most of them are the earlier versions.

One of mine wound up with Heinie straight eights and a P-shim.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Nice score!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
congratulations on a nice addition.

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Never be without one again - they're just plain pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Yep, very nice score. That looks to be in excellent shape. I've still got a couple, American and European, and they're some of my favorites to shoot. Congrats!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
She’s a beauty, no doubt about it. Congratulations on the find.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Very nice! 220 has the well deserved reputation of being "Mr. Reliable." Pull the trigger and bang.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
She’s a beauty, no doubt about it. Congratulations on the find.

++++++

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the comments.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Thanks Q! Yeah, I was thinking that it could've been initially earmarked to go to Switzerland and somehow ended up with Sigarms or that Sig ran a bunch of barrels and had them proof tested on the off chance there was a Swiss need for them. Need OTD to chime in on this.

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Cool!

Looks like you hit the sweet spot with your 9mm.

While I have seen a few with the Swiss proof marks, most of them are the earlier versions.

One of mine wound up with Heinie straight eights and a P-shim.

Yeah, I'd have to say I lucked out with this one. I've yet own one in less than high very good/excellent condition, but, this one has to be the best of them all.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Never be without one again - they're just plain pleasant to shoot.

I've been thinning the herd lately, moving those that are "nice to have" but never see the light of day. This one will definitely not be going anywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
I've still got a couple, American and European, and they're some of my favorites to shoot. Congrats!

Totally agree with you and Il Cattivo, they're definitely pleasant to shoot. I remember shooting my first, a non-imported, German heel release, and thinking how mild it was.

Looking forward to getting to the range with it once I've gotten the last quart of oil out of it...it just keep oozing out of everywhere.

A .30 Luger barrel I had fitted for a P226 drops in without any issue, so, it should be interesting to see how well that shoots.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
No kidding, a .30 Luger barrel as well. Have you fired that round through your P226 ? It would be the first I've read about that. I actually like that little round as its specs read like a pretty serious cartridge.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sweet! I tried to buy an American P220 9MM years ago but was too late.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:
A .30 Luger barrel I had fitted for a P226 drops in without any issue, so, it should be interesting to see how well that shoots.

Now the problem you are about to have is running out of 7.65mm ammo. Then remembering what you did with the 9mm barrel. Wink Got one of mine range ready and now it seems that I only shoot the 9 when I don't have any 7.65mm remaining. I haven't been able to track down a P220 in 9x21 though. The early ones were rechambered from 9mm Parabellum and overstamped. Now they are made as 9x21. Thinking the .22lr would run too dirty and haven't tried it yet. 38 Super also makes for a sweet running P220.

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
No kidding, a .30 Luger barrel as well. Have you fired that round through your P226? It would be the first I've read about that. I actually like that little round as its specs read like a pretty serious cartridge.

FWIW, Had a chance to buy a triple serial P226 chambered in 7.65mm about three years ago. Seller didn't want to work it through Customs. Someday...

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
No kidding, a .30 Luger barrel as well. Have you fired that round through your P226 ? It would be the first I've read about that. I actually like that little round as its specs read like a pretty serious cartridge.

First impressions that it was pretty mild and fun to shoot. Admittedly, I didn't get to spend too much time when I had it out. Most of that session was spent trying to figure out what was wrong with my P210A.

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Now the problem you are about to have is running out of 7.65mm ammo. Then remembering what you did with the 9mm barrel. Wink Got one of mine range ready and now it seems that I only shoot the 9 when I don't have any 7.65mm remaining. I haven't been able to track down a P220 in 9x21 though. The early ones were rechambered from 9mm Parabellum and overstamped. Now they are made as 9x21. Thinking the .22lr would run too dirty and haven't tried it yet. 38 Super also makes for a sweet running P220.

Well, that might be a while. I ordered a .30 Luger HP barrel at the same time as the 226 and stocked up on Fiocchi 765A after my Hi-Power came back from Don Williams.

I remember 220parts mentioning that he ordered a 220 in 9x21 direct from Germany. Nowadays, you'd probably have to look into importing one from Italy.

Would love to grab this P220 SAO:

http://www.lavetrinadellearmi....er-p220-i-83510.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcs1564,

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

posted Hide Post
Wow. Looks almost new. Nice score!

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:
Thanks all for the comments.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Thanks Q! Yeah, I was thinking that it could've been initially earmarked to go to Switzerland and somehow ended up with Sigarms or that Sig ran a bunch of barrels and had them proof tested on the off chance there was a Swiss need for them. Need OTD to chime in on this.

No Swiss police forces used this P220 type. This P220 is a commerical pistol that was intended for the Swiss market. Made in Eckernförde, shipped to SIGArms Lenzburg and form there exported to the US.

Only SIG/SIGSauer firearms fitting the rules of volontary shooting programs or sanctioned Swiss Army matches got this Swiss proof mark.

Police guns are makred as such and either have a community or cantonal owernship marking while guns of the federal government are marked with a Swiss shield.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post