SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What I did on summer vacation (Cz75 mods you killjoys) Pics added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What I did on summer vacation (Cz75 mods you killjoys) Pics added Login/Join 
posted
In the vein of return to school essays everywhere I present, “what I did on covid/disability year”.

I have been jonesing for a new gun. The LTT Centurion has really gotten my interest. The model I wanted was running around 1500 bones. I thought hard about it. Then I shifted gears.

My buddies wife sold me her CZ P07 for 300 bucks. I really like this gun but she sold it because the trigger sucked. Alas, she is an astute woman, the trigger sucked mighty hard. I’m sure a better pistolero could still wring out top shelf performance but I’m too old for that nonsense so I decided to cheat. Enter the CGW pro package. It’s an Omega gun so not very hard to work on. Had to play with springs a bit to get ignition reliably on my Russian ammo but that was only rough spot. Added a Dawson fiber optic front paired with the stock rear that I blacked out the dots. Very nice sight picture, perfect top of front sight POI. Yay me.

So Centurion. I decided instead of buying one gun I would spend a bunch of money, still not as much as Centurion, to upgrade all my old CZ 75’s which admittedly haven’t aged well compared to my newer stuff. Poor triggers, atrocious sights, rubber grips. Well that’s not completely true. I kind of like the CZ rubber grips. Fugly as hell but they are shaped perfectly for my hand and plenty grippy.

So numerous orders later I have 2 complete pro packages (75BD and P01), 4 sets of new sights, and 2 grips from Lok Grips and I set off.

The Lok grips emulate the shape of the factory rubber but are grippier, nicer, and with the 17 dollar addition of the colored liner just look cool as hell. Sights. How have I always dismissed Truglo? I hate their rear sights because they are very bulky. CZ Custom sells the front separately which is only place I could find them that way. Paired with a serrated flat black U notch rear I’m in heaven. The front is kind of wide for precision longer shots but for my purposes and steel matches it’s perfect. Also shoots to tip of front sight. I got the TFX Pro. Tritium, fiber optic, and bright orange ring. If they made an “HD XR” style thinner front I think they would own the market. They are that good. (They really should sell a rear sight with just a plain U notch with single tritium dot ala a Heinie straight 8 and ditch the whole fo, tritium rear.). Trigger package is just what you expect. Replaced the old curvy CZ trigger with 85 Combat trigger adjustable for pre and overtravel. Very nice.

So for less than the price of one gun I upgraded the actions of 2. Replaced shitty CZ sights on 6 including Dawson FO’s on my Kadet conversions (might have been the best 29 bucks I ever spent). New grips on 2. And swapped one replaced trigger from a P01 onto a PCR that had the worst shaped and grooved trigger I have ever felt. So bad that years ago I attempted to Dremel the grooves smooth. Needless to say, my dremeling skills were clearly not up to the task.

That my friends is how I spent covid. (If I ever figure out pictures I will post some)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
(If I ever figure out pictures I will post some)

Posting photos is easy compared with your endeavors. Wink

Photos.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had CZ Custom make a new matte s/s stainless CZ 75 into SAO and do their trigger job etc. on it. The trigger on it rivals my Ed Brown and WC 1911's........it's that good.......the gun is awesome (I've had a CZ 75 SA also for a long time).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun project to give some vitality back to a few guns that you already own. I've definitely had this thought in the past...I have a few I'd like to rework and upgrade, including an old 75D compact that doesn't get shot anywhere near as much as it should. The problem is that when I start to accumulate funds for projects on existing guns, another gun comes along that I want, and it all gets spent on that. I have poor impulse control!

OP, I'd love to see pics of how your CZs turned out. If you want to e-mail them to me (in my profile), I'd be happy to upload them to my flikr account and post them here.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
(If I ever figure out pictures I will post some)

Posting photos is easy compared with your endeavors. Wink

Photos.

This ^^^
Gonna need some pics or it didn't happen.

Wink

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Nicely done. Cajun Gun Works stuff is outstanding. Really improves already good CZ pistols.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WE WANT PICS ! Big Grin

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a SP-01 Tactical that I’ve been thinking about selling, because that damn curved trigger does not work for me. I would love to see the 85 trigger you put on the gun.

How hard was it to get the spring back into place? I go back and forth on whether or not I should just sell

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
the solution for your CZ ills; send it off to Cajun gun works.

I hsd some mods/tunes done to a std 75 and an SP01 a few years back WELL worth the cost.literally transforms the gun to the next level

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright. I will send some pics to 92fsguy. Only thing missing is Lok grip. They haven’t got here yet.

The P07 Omega gave me a false sense of confidence. The sear cage on these older non Omega guns is a true bitch. I put it together and took it apart at least 5 times to get it right. I went from staring at the tutorial to now I can do it blindfolded. You need three hands and preferably one of them is like 1/10th scale to deal with those little bastard springs. I even destroyed a lifter spring once. Luckily I had a spare and have since ordered 80 bucks worth of assorted CZ springs since I have one more to go.

I had a variety of trigger shapes on my compacts. The really curvy P01 trigger, which I don’t hate like many do. The grooved fat PCR trigger, which I actually do hate. Which might not be a strong enough term. Whatever the “meh ok” trigger which came on my 75BD as well. I replaced the 75BD and P01 trigger with their DLC (nice!) old style 85 trigger with pre and over travel adjustments. I think that is what they call it. It’s included in their pro package. Great shape trigger. Glad I upgraded to the DLC version. Looks good and feels very slick. I also threw the old grooved trigger from PCR away (kidding I still have it if anybody wants it, it’s dremeled sorta smooth not my best work) and put the curvy P01 trigger on the PCR. Big improvement at zero cost. Total win.

The DA stroke is much shorter and smooth. It stacks a bit at the end. I might play with some different mainsprings but as is I’m very happy with it. Where the magic happened though is the SA pull. I kid you not it is PERFECT. I don’t say that lightly. A little bit of takeup, to a very crisp wall, then the classic icicle break, and no overtravel. Very short reset for you short reset guys (me) and then you do it all over again 13 more times.

I think I added up the cost to $502. For trigger package, grips, sights. The grips are going to be nice but I can live with the stock ones so I could save a hundred bucks there. The sights are such an improvement that I replaced every CZ sight I own with this combo or the Dawson FO combo except for my SP01 which so far is stock.
The trigger job is really good. If I had to rank which was the more “impactful” change between sights and trigger it is close. I hated the stock sights though so I guess it’s the sights, but that SA stroke is dead nuts perfect. Uh, I don’t know. Best gun money I have spent in years. I will send a pic of the P01 to 92guy.

Edit to add: Forgot to add I bought one pro package with race hammer and one with the old style ring hammer. This P01 has the ring style. I think I prefer it to the the race style.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
And here are the pics (I love those sights!):

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sights are my new favorite for anything defense/steel match/25 yards and in gun. At 25 yards they cover a lot of target so bullseye gun, no. The picture doesn’t do the orange ring and fiber optic daytime picture justice. It looks like my Trijicon HD’s in the picture. For daytime they are way better. I suppose some might find the bright fiber optic plus the ring distracting with the bright orange and green but for me, who likes to get too fast and lose front sight lol, it’s perfect.

Thanks 92fsguy for posting these.

Oh yeah, it also has the stainless steel guide rod just because.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

I haven’t tweaked my P01 much yet other than a hammer and recoil spring and some Henning grips. I like the LOK grips but I really like the Hennings!

I’ve been happy with just springs in my SP01 Tactical. Heavy lifter, 15lb hammer, reduced power trigger spring and the Cajun trigger pin. It’s my IDPA ish gun and tactical games gun. I did get to try the same gun with the Cajun IDPA competition only package and it was superb!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This afternoon I installed the same package in my 75BD. It was my first CZ. You certainly can tell the “eras” of these guns. Lol

Destroyed another lifter spring. Those little beasts are crazy fragile. Glad I have some extras on the way. Not that I want to tear them down again. What a monumental pain in the ass. It did go easier today for the 6th and 7th try.

On this gun I left in the stock mainspring. I think it’s a 20 lb spring. I like running Kadet off of them and you need a minimum of 17 lb springs to do that. Luckily the trigger, while a bit heavier is smooth and just fine with the heavy mainspring.

On the P01 I figured out the stacking. It was making some noise as well as you pulled trigger. Turns out I kinked the 13 lb spring when I installed it. There is 7 bucks gone. I had a 15 lb spring from the P07 so I put that in. Stacking, and noise, are gone. I don’t mind the slightly extra strength spring because the P01 is a straight up defensive gun.

If anyone is interested, Lok grips is hav8ng a 20% off sale this weekend.

Edited to add: don’t use stock mainspring and extended firing pin together. Tell CGW it’s for a Kadet and they shorten firing pin and use the 18lb spring. As low as 17 usually works for Kadet. So I ended up with 13lb springs in both and a shortened firing pin/18lb spring in Kadet mule (SP01 Tactical). I never really could get to love the fde, threaded barrel, and worlds ugliest suppressor height sights. Now with a Kadet riding on it and another trigger pack on the way it is getting some love.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I buy most of my parts from Cajun, and some from CZ Custom.

I like CZ Custom for the spring quantity discount. All my CZ's now use a 15lb hammer and a 14lb recoil spring and get fresh ones pretty regularly.

The Enos forum has some good tutorials but nothing can help my clumsy fingers with that tiny lifter spring!

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a PCR with their trigger work from CZ custom years ago, like at least 10 years ago. It arrived and I was wildly underwhelmed. I called and told them and their response was to send a lighter mainspring. It is a very marginal trigger with a poor SA pull. It has no discernible break. It is light but it just kind of lets off. Hard trigger to consider “custom”. Both of these trigger packages that I installed myself, including the one with the stock mainspring, run circles around the CZ Custom gun. I personally think I got taken. Other than the “race” hammer I can’t even tell it’s a custom trigger job. Cajun is way better for gunshop stuff. Springs, sights, parts, I will shop at CZ Custom. Nothing more than that.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I've also installed Apex Tactical kits in a couple of CZ's, a Shadow 2 and the TSO. I really like those as well but I only use the hammer and sear and my preferred springs.

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Looks GREAT. Not blinged up. Very utilitarian. Enjoy!!!

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post