SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    This time it really was Russia's fault
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This time it really was Russia's fault Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Those P83 Wanads have kinda been sleepers. The grip angle feels slightly different and it's not a classic Makarov, but they shoot well and they're certainly well-made.

I have a P83 I am working on. I had Amerigun, Inc. mill a front dovetail and made a Tritium front sight for the dovetail. I also purchased a set of wood grips from Grips4U, those grips transformed the pistol into a much better handling gun vs the stock plastic grips.

Going to have it refinished, gosh, I am dragging in getting this pistol completed!

About the only thing I detest on the P83 is the hammer design!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

Ahhh, now I got ya.

You're a Talisman guy. One who thinks whatever is in the holster of the FBI/SEAL/SWAT guys is the only gun worth owning. And that since you have one, merely having it is a talisman ensuring nothing bad will ever happen. And by proxy, any gun that isn't Tactical Timmy approved is a giant piece of shit.

No, you surely don't got me.

Nothing wrong with a Makarov, and I've got enough time operating soviet equipment, operating in soviet countries, and yes, firing soviet weapons, to appreciate the rugged ingenuity.

When someone makes a dumbass statement that strains credibility, that a Makarov is the most reliable semi-automatic pistol ever made, one really must wonder how it is that the most reliable pistol ever made remains such a limited use weapon.

I'll leave it up to you whether it's a piece of shit. I said no such thing (but you just did). Speak for yourself, if you think you're able.

I don't believe I mentioned anything about the US Navy, the FBI, or special weapons teams. It really is a wonder that given this pistol being "the most reliable" ever made, more aren't using, it, don't you think?

I'm happy for you, and for your purchase. Great buy. Great pistol. It will serve you well. By all means, go on believing it's the most reliable pistol ever made. It won't hurt a thing.

Being reliable, and not being currently used are two different things.
If the Soviet military adopted it for use, for many years , I view that fact as credible.
As for me making a dumbass statement about the pistol being one of the most reliable pistols ever made, I will state it again for your narrow minded pleasure.

The Makarov is one of the most reliable handguns ever manufactured.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
the link to a replacement

http://www.gunpartswarehouse.c...ixed-rear-sight.html

Utmost care required not to strip the screw hole. Common mistake is to overtighten. If overtightened, the screw hole will strip.

Perhaps JB Weld or Loctite will help to keep it stable and secure.

JB Weld will hold the parts together.
My (now deceased) brother had already done this to the pistol I inherited from him.
The issue wasn't a stripped screw hole, however, the sight had broken apart.
Unfortunately, the initial repair either required quite a bit of JB weld or my brother wanted to make certain the sight would never break again
Removing the sight in order to attempt a repair that would allow the sight to be drift adjusted (no hope of fixing the elevation) is when I discovered the sight was made of low grade metal.
It was literally crumbling underneath the JB weld.

Reports of problems with the adjustable rear sight were fairly common back when the commercial pistols were being imported.

If it works and continues to do so that is great.
Just be prepared for potential disappointment.

Probably should add, the pistol has been fed only steel cased ammo and has been 100% reliable in all other aspects.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is quite common for folks replacing the rear sight to strip the screw hole on top of the slide.

When that happens, it's basically JB Weld/Loctite or bust.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread and info - Thanks! I too have the adjustable sight version and just found out (here) about the replacement sight. The image at the link is pretty low quality - does anyone have a shot of their slide with the replacement sight mounted? Even better, I guess, would be a replacement fixed sight slide ...

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunpartswarehouse.c...m/a/maksight_2_1.jpg

No sharp edges.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Some pics of the fixed sight on my Mak.

Regards, Steve

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics and the link, Steve. While I have no plans to change mine now, you are correct that it is a known issue with the commercial variants, and might be only a matter of time.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve - Thanks for the pictures - I guess I need to get mine upgraded. I had no idea the stock adjustable sights were so bad ... Frown

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
Steve - Thanks for the pictures - I guess I need to get mine upgraded. I had no idea the stock adjustable sights were so bad ... Frown

Just to be clear, if one is not having problems with the original sight I would just set it and forget it.

In the event the original sight breaks, this is a viable option.

Regards, Steve

posted Hide Post
Steve - good observation - Thanks! Mine is a hide-away pistol - I test fired it in 2014 and rotate the mag probably once a year. Considering the humidity here, and where it's stored, it must have a pretty good finish on it cause it continues to look like new. I bought it in the late 90's for 200-something - pretty good investment!