SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    This time it really was Russia's fault
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This time it really was Russia's fault Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Fwiw, a Makarov chambered in 7.65x17 Browning (.32 ACP). Courtesy of Slovenia.

Me likey. Me want one.

Magazine is stock and takes 9 boolits. Makes sense, same mag for 9x17 and 9x18.

Apparently, the only conversion needed is the barrel.

Have not encountered that thread in my internet ramblings. I wish I had purchased one of Makarov.Com's 32 NAA conversion barrels many years ago.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Wow, also a very neat piece of history! Oddly enough, I'd probably own one of the P64s if they had been made in .32 ACP. I'm just enough of a wimp to admit that they strike me as a bit of a handful in 9x18 MAK.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stopped by my friendly neighborhood gun store the other day with the best of intentions. Just going to grab some more ammo.

Isn't that how most gun purchases start out?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Jesus, I will rephrase my comment.

"One of the most reliable semi automatic handguns ever made."

Precisely why it's a front-line military and police weapon globally today.

Or not.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Or not.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

The first step is admitting it.

One might suppose that the most reliable firearm in history would have a bit wider continued use and distribution, rather than being a cold war relic...

But who knows. Perhaps the free market, militaries, and police forces ad nauseum prefer something less reliable and the global scene is skewed toward the lesser samples. You never really know.

Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

One might suppose that the most reliable firearm in history would have a bit wider continued use and distribution, rather than being a cold war relic...

But who knows. Perhaps the free market, militaries, and police forces ad nauseum prefer something less reliable and the global scene is skewed toward the lesser samples. You never really know.

There are a lot of other factors in addition to reliability that go into choosing a firearm for any particular purpose. Not claiming I know anything about the Makarov personally, I have never even held one, but just saying everything is a balance. I think most can agree revolvers as a whole are more reliable than autos overall, but we all know how widely they are used now.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Bionic218: That's a nice find!

Regarding reliability, my personal experience has been outstanding through several thousand rounds with them. They shoot hollow points and every kind of cheap steel case ammo I've found over the years. They only have 27 parts. They're pretty simple. I shoot a Mak about once a month. They're very accurate little guns and a lot of fun. I keep spare parts for them but have never had anything break. I swap out recoil and mag springs.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ahhh, now I got ya.

You're a Talisman guy. One who thinks whatever is in the holster of the FBI/SEAL/SWAT guys is the only gun worth owning. And that since you have one, merely having it is a talisman ensuring nothing bad will ever happen. And by proxy, any gun that isn't Tactical Timmy approved is a giant piece of shit.

And, on top of that, you're a snarky little smartass. But not in a fun and insightful way like ASG or 46and2; more in the traditional douchebag kinda way.

And that's cool for you. Have fun with that.

But maybe let us old farts - who obviously know far less than you about arms - have our conversations about relics and revolvers and such in peace? Mmmkay?

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeking a better POTUS, and doing it elsewhere
posted Hide Post
I carry a Polish P83 and it shoots great,got it "used" from Gander but it didn't look fired, they had a bunch online before they shut down the site for the closing. these are very accurate and well priced. I use mine as everyday conceal carry. A little heavier than the P230 or Walther but 9x18 instead of 9x17, My only real complaint is the slide on mine is heavy to rack and you don't have a lot of rail to grab. Have fun with it.

Posts: 34 | Registered: March 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Those P83 Wanads have kinda been sleepers. The grip angle feels slightly different and it's not a classic Makarov, but they shoot well and they're certainly well-made.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Both the Polish models, despite not being true clones of the PM design, are very good pistols. The P64, and the P83 that followed it both have an excellent following of loyal users.

When I think of Makarovs, I think of them and the CZ82/83 series as well.

The Hungarian FEG 63 is another good one. The aluminum frame does mean they are little more snappy in hand, and the look more closely resembles the Walther than some of the others, but by most accounts, very decent pistols.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, on top of that, you're a snarky little smartass. But not in a fun and insightful way like ASG or 46and2; more in the traditional douchebag kinda way.

Hey, what about me? I can be a snarky smartass too.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ahhh, now I got ya.

You're a Talisman guy. One who thinks whatever is in the holster of the FBI/SEAL/SWAT guys is the only gun worth owning. And that since you have one, merely having it is a talisman ensuring nothing bad will ever happen. And by proxy, any gun that isn't Tactical Timmy approved is a giant piece of shit.

No, you surely don't got me.

Nothing wrong with a Makarov, and I've got enough time operating soviet equipment, operating in soviet countries, and yes, firing soviet weapons, to appreciate the rugged ingenuity.

When someone makes a dumbass statement that strains credibility, that a Makarov is the most reliable semi-automatic pistol ever made, one really must wonder how it is that the most reliable pistol ever made remains such a limited use weapon.

I'll leave it up to you whether it's a piece of shit. I said no such thing (but you just did). Speak for yourself, if you think you're able.

I don't believe I mentioned anything about the US Navy, the FBI, or special weapons teams. It really is a wonder that given this pistol being "the most reliable" ever made, more aren't using, it, don't you think?

I'm happy for you, and for your purchase. Great buy. Great pistol. It will serve you well. By all means, go on believing it's the most reliable pistol ever made. It won't hurt a thing.

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or not.

I doubt reliability concerns had anything to do with the Makarov PM being replaced after 50-60 years of service. It was probably the weak caliber and blowback design limitations with larger calibers, not reliability issues. Newer designs have come along. It's pretty common knowledge that the Makarov PM is known for being quite reliable. Not sure if it's the most reliable pistol ever made, but there's nothing wrong with anyone stating that as their opinion.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Man, I like that adjustable rear sight. Shoot it that way for a while before going looking for a replacement.

That's why I stated for future reference.
The cheap adjustable sight was added only to allow enough points for importation.
It is constructed from some form of pot metal with a low melting point (can't even be soldered back together).

If (when) the adjustable sight breaks, as many have, the link to a replacement could prove handy to have.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the link to a replacement

http://www.gunpartswarehouse.c...ixed-rear-sight.html

Utmost care required not to strip the screw hole. Common mistake is to overtighten. If overtightened, the screw hole will strip.

Perhaps JB Weld or Loctite will help to keep it stable and secure.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

Hey, what about me? I can be a snarky smartass too.

Yeah, but you do it in a way that's funny and entertaining. Big Grin

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm happy for you, and for your purchase. Great buy. Great pistol. It will serve you well.

See, that would have been a good post and a nice guy thing to say.

quote:
By all means, go on believing it's the most reliable pistol ever made.

Go ahead and quote where I wrote that in this or any other thread.

I can quote, in this thread so far, where you've managed to call members dumbasses, incapable of speaking for themselves. I can quote where you've been rude and condescending to me and others, over a simple post about a surplus pistol I bought.

So maybe I was wrong, and you're not a talisman guy. Maybe you're just an asshole?

And that's okay too, you have fun with that.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go shoot my Mak.

(I'll bet it can't make it through a single mag without choking) Wink

posted Hide Post
I have one of those. Big Bear Arms stamp and all. I remember when they showed up, I think I gave $150 or so bucks for it.

Except, mine is in .380. I owned a few .380 pistols and figured I didn't need another caliber in the mix.

Still unfired...still in its cheap kraft box.

Always wondered who "Big Bear Arms" was. I lived in Dallas. Never heard of them before or since.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post