SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    This time it really was Russia's fault
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This time it really was Russia's fault Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted

Stopped by my friendly neighborhood gun store the other day with the best of intentions. Just going to grab some more ammo. Little bit of .380 for the LCP I recently picked up, and maybe a box or six or 9mm if he still had it on sale.

Wrapped up my purchase and was almost out the door when the counter guy (who is an Army vet and a good friend of mine) says "Hey, I almost forgot. Check out what we just took in on trade."

"No. Don't want it, can't use it, couldn't afford it if I did." I said.

"I thought you liked all that Com Bloc shit." He says, and opens a box full of what you see in the picture. A real deal Russian Pistolet Makarova. (Commercial version mind you, but aside from an adjustable rear sight to give it a 'sporting purpose', it's the same damn gun.)

"Well, I'll be dipped in shit. How much?" (As if it mattered at that point.)

They made me a sweetheart of a deal, and it's one of the cleanest examples I have found. I'd rate the bluing right about 95%, and the Bakelite grip is very close to perfect. Came with all you see in the picture; serialed original box and manual with certification date hand written inside, couple boxes of Russian ammo, holster with cleaning rod, extra mag, lanyard, snap caps and sealed manual.

In the end, it's just an old Imez Russian Mak that could be found in any hardware store or pawn shop back in the day. They're not for everyone, but I've long been a fan of Russian and Communist Bloc firearms. I'm very happy with my latest acquisition, and hopefully will find time to take it out to the ranch this weekend.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

Stopped by my friendly neighborhood gun store the other day with the best of intentions. Just going to grab some more ammo. Little bit of .380 for the LCP I recently picked up, and maybe a box or six or 9mm if he still had it on sale.

Wrapped up my purchase and was almost out the door when the counter guy (who is an Army vet and a good friend of mine) says "Hey, I almost forgot. Check out what we just took in on trade."

"No. Don't want it, can't use it, couldn't afford it if I did." I said.

"I thought you liked all that Com Bloc shit." He says, and opens a box full of what you see in the picture. A real deal Russian Pistolet Makarova. (Commercial version mind you, but aside from an adjustable rear sight to give it a 'sporting purpose', it's the same damn gun.)

"Well, I'll be dipped in shit. How much?" (As if it mattered at that point.)

They made me a sweetheart of a deal, and it's one of the cleanest examples I have found. I'd rate the bluing right about 95%, and the Bakelite grip is very close to perfect. Came with all you see in the picture; serialed original box and manual with certification date hand written inside, couple boxes of Russian ammo, holster with cleaning rod, extra mag, lanyard, snap caps and sealed manual.

In the end, it's just an old Imez Russian Mak that could be found in any hardware store or pawn shop back in the day. They're not for everyone, but I've long been a fan of Russian and Communist Bloc firearms. I'm very happy with my latest acquisition, and hopefully will find time to take it out to the ranch this weekend.

Congratulations! That's a nice clean example of a commercial Makarov.

Your pics caused me to drag out my fixed rear sight, 1986 dated, Izhevsk manufactured (bifurcated triangle within a circle marked) Makarov. Bought this rig (pistol, spare mag., holster, cleaning rod and lanyard) all 100% NIB from Southern Ohio Gun around March 15, 1984 for the princely sum of $159.55 delivered. These pistols did not come with a manual. I've still got the invoice and CC receipt in the original carton in which they were shipped to me.

My pistol remains un-fired and absolutely as it was received in 1994. The dull coating of factory preservative remains on the weapon. I have other pristine East German, Bulgarian and Chinese Maks, and saw no need to shoot this particular PM.

I enjoyed seeing your photos and am sure you will enjoy your new acquisition!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Yep. Definitely the Russians up to their old tricks.

Nice find.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I still think the Makarov is the most reliable pistol ever made. It is also an excellent size for carrying and well made and designed.

You found a nice pistol.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Nice find, I have one myself.

You might, however, want to bookmark the following link for possible future reference pertaining to a replacement rear sight.

Replacement fixed rear sight

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Damn those Rooskies. Wink

Congrats. Been feeling like I need a 9x18 myself. We've had quite a bit of the ammo at the shop, but I've got no gun for it. CZ82 has been on my list but oh would a honest-to-God Mak make my day. Meanwhile, I keep waiting for LWD to get their 9x18 Alphawolf conversion barrel back in stock for the G42. Barrel in-hand first, then comes the Glock. Maybe wife won't notice...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Man, I like that adjustable rear sight. Shoot it that way for a while before going looking for a replacement. You may wind up doing what I did - keeping it as is and promising yourself a "real military" Russian Makarov someday. Honestly, those commercial pistols are outstanding just as they are.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I still think the Makarov is the most reliable pistol ever made. It is also an excellent size for carrying and well made and designed.

You found a nice pistol.

Most reliable pistol ever made? Quite a few autos are strong contenders for that honor. Not to mention revolvers.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a nice find, great condition.

Posts: 113 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

You found a nice pistol.

Most reliable pistol ever made? Quite a few autos are strong contenders for that honor. Not to mention revolvers.

Hard to be more reliable than a single shot.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words, glad to see there's still a healthy appreciation out there for these.

I enjoy the Russian mindset when designing a firearm. They don't really do anything new (if a person can't see that this is a Walther copy, they're beyond help) but they found a way to do it with less parts, and keeping it within size and performance parameters, while increasing firepower and maintaining reliability.

For those who wish for a reliable all metal single stack auto that a person can actually carry, the PM deserves a look. East German, Bulgarian, Russian, it's all good.

quote:
Honestly, those commercial pistols are outstanding just as they are.

I have no plans of changing this thing at all, I'm very happy with it as is.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Mine's East German. These are indeed sweet little pistols.

Um.... yeah. Mak and cheese.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Many fail to grasp the true depth of Russian ingenuity and their commitment to multi-purpose tools.

I give you the most badass bottle opener in the history of ever.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Covfefe Comrade Wink

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love them. They make for great candleholders too.

Add a Makarov made in Cuba. See, Jones, Richard D. Jane's Infantry Weapons 2009/2010. Jane's Information Group; 35 edition (January 27, 2009). ISBN 978-0-7106-2869-5.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Oh, great. That means there's four on my "jeez, I'd like to get one" list if they were ever actually produced in Venezuela. (Russian military, Chinese, Cuban and Venezuelan.)

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, they all look the same...

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Jesus, I will rephrase my comment.

"One of the most reliable semi automatic handguns ever made."

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
Hating the Russians, and you, just a little right now.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fwiw, a Makarov chambered in 7.65x17 Browning (.32 ACP). Courtesy of Slovenia.

Me likey. Me want one.

Magazine is stock and takes 9 boolits. Makes sense, same mag for 9x17 and 9x18.

Apparently, the only conversion needed is the barrel.