SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Adding a Magazine Disconnect
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding a Magazine Disconnect Login/Join 
posted
My son is behind enemy lines in CA

If I want to give him one of my sigs it needs to have a Magazine disconnect, so when the mag is out, the gun can't fire.

It looks like the parts are around $100.

Can these pieces crap be added to any pistol or do they have CA only guns can take the parts?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of variations of the mag disconnect. The last one I'm aware of simply replaced the locking block. I switched out the block in my retired duty weapon after I purchased it. No other mechanical differences.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Actually you can probably just do a direct transfer of the gun to him without. Check with DOJ but I’m pretty sure you can do it without having to place the magazine disconnect as an intra familial transfer.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
The disconnect and all the CA bullshit is only a requirement from the manufacturers to have on to be on the "roster"

It does not have to stay on or be added on during a private party transfer.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
Actually you can probably just do a direct transfer of the gun to him without. Check with DOJ but I’m pretty sure you can do it without having to place the magazine disconnect as an intra familial transfer.

I am 99% sure this is correct. The tricky part is finding a dealer in CA that will accept an intrafamily transfer and whether they will accept a shipment from a non-FFL or will they require shipping from an FFL. Your son should look into this first.

(I am an escapee from CA).

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
The disconnect and all the CA bullshit is only a requirement from the manufacturers to have on to be on the "roster"

It does not have to stay on or be added on during a private party transfer.

This is 100%

The mag disconnect, the microstamping, and the rest of the crap, all are for getting semi auto pistols onto the handgun roster. There are plenty of handguns already on the roster that do not have these entry requirements (Gen 3 Glocks, HK P-2000s, CZ 75s, various 1911s, etc.) Off roster guns are legal in their original config in private party transfers (face to face), same with out of state interfamilial transfers. sig2392, you do not need to modify your handguns to transfer to your son. The only thing is no threaded barrels, no standard cap mags, only 10 rounders, and best if you can provide that for your son.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My MK25 is a Cali. edition and the block is different, in that is has a cut out for a bar with a spring loaded magazine disconnect on it(small parts). I was able to remove it fairly easy by just punching out the pin. The other thing the Cali. model has is a slide with a chamber loaded indicator on it. Not sure if that factors into anything.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
If it is a transfer down the direct blood lines Father to Son (Not Stepson unless adopted) it does not need a magazine disconnect safety.

It will have to be transferred with at least one ten round magazine. The larger capacity magazine needs to stay out of state with you.

It will have to be handled thru a FFL. Have son call around for the FFL fees can vary. It cannot be done thru OPLAW form as someone mentioned for the handgun is not in California.

It will need to be shipped to the FFL that will do the Family Transfer. Also need to check with the receiving FFL if it needs to be shipped from a FFL or if they will accept direct shipment from you. I would ship from a FFL in your state to cover all bases. Receiving off roster handguns have many receiving FFL go beyond what is actually needed to receive the handgun.

PS you are a fine father.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/f...arms/pdf/cfl2016.pdf

SHIPMENT OF FIREARMS
Long guns may be mailed through the U .S . Postal Service, as well as most private
parcel delivery services or common carriers . Handguns may not be sent through
the U .S . Postal Service . A common or contract carrier must be used for shipment
of handguns . However, pursuant to federal law, non-licensees may ship handguns
only to persons who hold a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL) .
Both in-state and out-of-state FFL holders are required to obtain approval (e .g ., a
unique verification number) from the California DOJ prior to shipping firearms to
any California FFL . (Pen . Code, § 27555 .)

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of state parent to child gift of off roster handgun is perfectly legal. Just no threads barrels or 11+ mags or governor type .410 revolvers. He needs to find a local FFL that understands this. Big box store FFL is not a likely candidate. Most good local shops will be versed in the legalities.

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post