SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Found a used 14 round P227 mag today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a used 14 round P227 mag today. Login/Join 
posted
In the used mag bin at LGS. Best $35 I have spent in awhile.
So the springs were an issue in the 14 round mags, from what I have read . How do I identify if I have an oem spring or updated spring that will work correctly ?

https://imgur.com/gallery/E22jRoZ

Posts: 980 | Location: Portsmouth, NH | Registered: October 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Load it, shoot it and see if it works? OEM 14-rounders never worked for squat for me.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care what springs you find or use. it will likely not work. at least to the point it matters for serious use. every used bin find is taking a chance. and in this case it is not going to be the best $35 you have spent in awhile.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I don't care what springs you find or use. it will likely not work. at least to the point it matters for serious use. every used bin find is taking a chance. and in this case it is not going to be the best $35 you have spent in awhile.

I would disagree . Have you seen what these are selling for on gumbroker? I could easily get $125 for this mag there.

Posts: 980 | Location: Portsmouth, NH | Registered: October 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Mario!

Finders fee for any P6 mags you can find Smile

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I had three early ones that shipped in the plastic bags. . . . Those failed to function reliably

The three later ones that shipped in the cardboard boxes are all working just fine

I do not know if that is when they made the change to the mag catch notch or not. The packaging change might also indicate a change in manufacturer

I do use the P320 trick and change out the baseplate locking piece with one from the P226. This makes the magazines 11 and 15 rounds

You cols also trim the ears down on the P227 locking piece to achieve the same goal

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea the stupidity on GB for the pricing on these. I am unwilling to sell ammo and guns even at today's unbelievable prices, but mags that don't work well I'm willing to part with.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Why were these such crap show? I mean other manufacturers have produced reliable greater than 10 round .45 mags. Mec-Gar, who I assume was the mag manufacturer, isn’t exactly some new fly by night operation who doesn’t know how to make a magazine. Hell they KNOW how to make a magazine for EVERYBODY. Smile

So what was the major breakdown here?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only guess. but every design needs testing and refinement and I'm guessing sig forgot that part in the rush to market, releasing them before they had been debugged. just a guess, but wouldn't be the first example, but sadly one of many.

posted Hide Post
I’ve had four 14 round magazines for my two 227s for 2 years now, and have never had an issue! Ever! Bought them new, shoot them regularly! No issues!

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A double column of heavy .45s it a tall order for a mag spring to serve up rounds at the rate of the slide velocity. I used to have a Para Ord P-13, those 13rd mags didn't work either.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the factory HK USP are 12 rounds. But run 100% for sure.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
A double column of heavy .45s it a tall order for a mag spring to serve up rounds at the rate of the slide velocity. I used to have a Para Ord P-13, those 13rd mags didn't work either.
Strambo, are you absolutly certain that your problem was the magazine and not the firearm or ammunition?

There are tens of thousands of double stack 45s that have been working just perfectly for more that three quarters of a century.

Going back 75+ years the Thompson SMGs had 20 and 30 round double stack magazines. The Mac 10 had 30 and 40 round double stack magazines, the M3 Grease gun had 30(?) rounders.

As mentioned the HK USPs work fine with 12 round or 14 round (follower change) flush fit magazines and the 26 round extended magazines.

The smaller diameter grip frame HK45 has a similar 20 round extended magazine.

IPSC shooters have had 14 and 15 round flush fit magazines in their 45 ACP 1911s for close to half a century now.

The 13 round Glock 21 has the extended 18 and 30 round magazines

Now I admit that the first batch of P227 14 round magazines had issues, but whatever it was it got resolved. But all three of my current 14 round P227 magazines work just fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

I don’t buy that, my FNX 45 is 15+1 and runs flawlessly, heck the much maligned Remington RP 45 feeds flawlessly from its double stack 15 round magazine.

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I admit that the first batch of P227 14 round magazines had issues, but whatever it was it got resolved.

I'm not sure exactly you are talking about. I have original ones bought when they first came out, ones bought right before production ended, and ones that went back to sig for problems and came back (presumably they would have fixed those with whatever was the secret sauce) and none of them run reliably enough to consider anything but range mags.

EDITED to ADD... is there some secret way of knowing that you have one of these GTG mags?