SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "Out damned Glock".....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Out damned Glock"..... Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Never good for bowling pins, not that accurate with several others on paper pin target.

YMMV and all, but, ironically, it was for pin-shooing that I bought my G34. When I shoot regularly I can hit pins as fast and accurately with my G34 as I can my Ruger Mk I. I was never great, but, I was down about ±5 seconds for a table, pretty consistently, at one point. (And decreasing.)

I rarely even shoot the thing at paper. It's so bloody easy it's not really worth the time and ammo. I would say my G34 and my P320 FS .45 ACP are easily my two "easiest to hit with, quickly" handguns.

I regard my G34 as one of my fun guns. A 9mm handgun version of my S&W M&P 15-22, kind of Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Maybe you could try resting the gun on a rest and not your elbows on the bench and see what results you get that way.

Bob
did 2 point elbow/wrist, elbows onlr, brace with post, frame on sand bags , no consistency even with Dawson target sights and later red dot. Results: "you're fired"

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, yeah, the G34 is horrible, just horrible, you poor man.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
As a Glock lemming I too have had accuracy issues with the G34. My Gen4 is definitely not one of my favorites; there are several of my long barreled 9mm pistols that I shoot consistently better. More annoying is that I shoot my Gen3 G17 and G24, and Gen2 G22 better. Different generations but more or less the same frame, give or take a couple of millimeters.

In my G34's case I'm fairly certain that it comes down to its relatively sloppy trigger. At some point I'll give it a thorough makeover; the 25¢ polish job didn't really change things so a revamp is the next step if I'm going to make this one into something that I can shoot with reasonably consistent accuracy. I'm also considering an aftermarket barrel as a possible fix as well, though will wait to see what the trigger work will do for me first.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the G34.

I have a used G34 that was purchased with some mods to the trigger, connector and spring. Lightest I've seen, very smooth, and in my opinion, dangerous. I removed it, put back stock parts. It's got a minus connector, smooth G17 trigger, and I went back to the stock spring. Some stragetically placed grease, and the trigger is light but just crisp enough with a clear, short reset. I have a low profile agency arms magwell installed.

With a set of Trijicon HD XR sights, it's easy to shoot accurately. The longer grip of the 17/34 is comfortable.

My only complaint about the pistol is trivial and aesthetic. The cut-out on top of the slide, exposing the barrel, annoys me. I understand the reason and the concept, but it's still annoying.

A lot is said about the grip angle on the Glock. Contrary to the illusion, it's the same as a 1911.

With my first Glocks, I thought about options such as a grip reduction and so forth, but I decided that there was little point in bending the pistol to me; it was up to me to learn the pistol. After all, if I pick up another Glock than my own, I should be able to shoot that, too. I stick with stock frames. I find them comfortable and they're not hard to adopt.

Having tried the P320, I'm planning on starting into them, but presently I carry a Glock and though I don't compete, I'm going to start into some local steel shoots this fall thanks to the counsel of some folks from this site and opspec training. The G34 will probably see use there.

I'm perplexed by the concept that "I shoot xxx better." It seems to suggest that one firearm is a natural choice. We don't come out of the womb with a pistol in our hand. Any firearm system is learned. If you can learn one, you can learn another. Do you have to? Sometimes, but if it's your own firearm, then choose what seems best for you.

Just don't blame the pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
To the last of my Glock fleet....."It's not ME, it's YOU"....good bye.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I had issues with a Glock. I was sure as I could be that the problem was with the pistol.
I was wrong. Unless you have someone else shoot your pistol, you might be wrong, too.

Bingo.

Some people do not pick up a Glock and shoot it well from the get go. Actually, that could be said for a number of pistols for many people. I shoot most 1911s and P2xx Sigs pretty well from the moment I touch them. Glocks -- not so much.

My Glock 17 has a grip reduction, grip angle change, and a ghost connector. It shoots really well when I don't have my head up my backside. I see many people shoot Glocks with a "captain hook" trigger finger, and they tend to pull the shots low and left if they're right handed. IMO if you allow your trigger finger to "drag wood" on the grip, you will also exhibit poor accuracy. I have to think about these things every time I shoot a Glock.

A few weeks ago after a precision rifle match was over, a handful of us practiced on the pistol portions of two rifle/pistol stages. Games included speed drills, timed team drills, and accuracy from distance. Pistols included my G17 with stock 3-dot sights, M&Ps with red dots, a 1911 with fiber optics, and some others that I don't recall. The final game was one shot at a round steel plate -- hit it to move on, miss and be eliminated. We moved back in 3 yard increments to maybe 30-35 yards. I tied for the win against an M&P with a red dot sight. I even hit the plate shooting one handed, pistol canted 90 degrees left, grabbing my crotch with my left hand -- full on gansta/homie style.

I'm a long ways from being a good pistol shooter, especially with a Glock. But if one presses the trigger straight back without disturbing the sight picture, the bullet is pretty much going to impact where the gun is aimed. Pick your firearm platform, pick your caliber, pick your favorite instructor -- this is precision shooting lesson #101.

Posts: 7872 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Several evenings a week, my wife has to endure the sound of Glocks being dry fired.

There is an instant of free travel of the trigger, after the striker tang has fallen off of the trigger plate. This is why people shoot to the left with Glocks. During this free travel of the trigger to the rear, the pistol is moving to the left because the trigger press is not applied directly to the rear. I suppose that for left handed shooters, the bullets are striking to the right of point of aim.

Glocks are not nearly as easy to shoot well as many people would have you believe. It takes tens of thousands of trigger presses, both live fire and dry firing, to become proficient with Glocks. When dry firing, watch the movement of your front sight after the striker is released. Ideally, there should be no movement of the sights, either before or after the trigger press. You have to find whatever method gives you a stable platform, and you must press the trigger straight back. FWIW

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
When dry firing, watch the movement of your front sight after the striker is released. Ideally, there should be no movement of the sights, either before or after the trigger press.

One of my best friends, and the best shot I ever knew (before arthritis laid him low), taught me that. I do that with all my handguns, revolver or bottom-feeder, Glock or otherwise.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My solution to getting decent with a Glock was from Pat McNamara.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Also, to be fair, I have in the past owned a Glock I deemed faulty. The first Glock I purchased was a G19, in 1992. I liked it so much, I bought a G17 a few months later. I still own that G19 and wouldn't ever part with it. The G17, however- I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I sold it and eventually replaced it with an early Gen 3 G17 and it shoots just fine.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
to add my own 'pleased with Glock' comment, there was that marvelous moment where a particular G19 was working very well. As part of an intense 2 day defense class something over 20 years ago, I was introduced to and managed to pass the Oregon State Police qualification course....twice...once with each hand with the same G19. Learning the Glock trigger function was part of the course. I bought further Glocks on the basic satisfaction gleaned in that experience.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently own six Glocks and have had a dozen total. Once I figured out how to prep the trigger and put more finger on the trigger they ALL shoot lights out. A lemon barrel or slide is always possible but I think the majority of problems are with not understanding the trigger.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post