SIGforum
Is There a Better Mag For My 938?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5700075544

August 09, 2018, 09:28 PM
buggsboy
Is There a Better Mag For My 938?
Does anyone make a better mag for my 938 than the OEM ones supplied? Anyone such as Checkmate, Wilson, etc.? My 938 runs fine with the OEM mags, but all 5 lose the top round over time when carrying. Doesn’t appear to interfere with function, just annoying. Thanks
August 09, 2018, 09:29 PM
RHINOWSO
Nope, there isn’t any money in it and the OEM provider likely has a non-compete with SIG to sell them direct.
August 09, 2018, 09:34 PM
buggsboy
Didn’t think so. Thought maybe some other brand of handgun used a mag that would work in my Sig. Thanks
August 10, 2018, 12:46 PM
wxl
Have heard that the Kimber Micro9 mags will work. Do not know what manufacturer for each mag.
August 10, 2018, 07:22 PM
buggsboy
I'll try to borrow one to try. May take a while to locate one.
August 10, 2018, 08:42 PM
Cobra21
I've never understood why this is such a big deal. I mean no disrespect. I just don't understsnd what the problem is. Yes, I have a 938 and 30 other handguns.

Risk the consequences of honesty...
August 10, 2018, 09:30 PM
buggsboy
Not a big deal. It's not supposed to do that, and I'm not sure I should be trusting my life to a gun doing this. I never asked whether you owned one or not, and I wouldn't be rude enough to imply that you didn't. I just prefer that my mags hold on to the ammo. I do carry my 938 almost daily, and will continue to do so. Thanks for your input.
August 10, 2018, 11:29 PM
iron chef
quote:
Originally posted by wxl:
Have heard that the Kimber Micro9 mags will work. Do not know what manufacturer for each mag.

I heard Checkmate makes the Micro 9 and P938 mags and that except for the shape of the pinky extensions on the 7-round mags, they are identical. The Kimber mags tend to cost a little less, so they have that going for them.
August 11, 2018, 11:22 AM
buggsboy
I see one on a major public auction site for around $23.50 shipped. I'm gonna try one.
August 11, 2018, 08:58 PM
HKSig
I've been carrying and shooting a P938 SAS for over 4 years. I have 2 6-round mags and 5 7-round mags and I've never had one "lose the top round over time". What exactly do you mean and where does the lost round go? I have noticed that when I load the gun and then drop the magazine the top round is protruding slightly. I just push it back in and top off the magazine and reinsert it. I've never had the top round move while carrying the gun.
August 12, 2018, 09:42 AM
buggsboy
They pop out the top of the mag and just lie loosely in the open space above the next round. Sometimes when I drop the mag, a round will fall out. Other times the top round will still be in there but pushed forward a good bit. The pistol functions perfectly. Never a single hiccup with it.
August 12, 2018, 10:28 AM
pingman274
My Kahrs always did that, would find loose rounds constantly in my spare mag pouch. Very frustrating. Both the Springfield and Kimber micro-9's are supposed to fit the 938 and are much cheaper. Probably worth a try.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member
August 13, 2018, 12:47 PM
buggsboy
Pingman, thanks for the info on the Springfield mags. I’ll check them out, along with the Kimber. I also will take one OEM mag and try adjusting the feed lips to see if that helps out. I appreciate your help.