SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    'Happy Birthday to me' gun, for those who've done it...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Happy Birthday to me' gun, for those who've done it... Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
With another birthday fast approaching, I came to wondering how many of us who've used 'their day' as an opportunity (excuse) to personally add to their collection, and what the best and/or most memorable of those 'birthday' guns was.

For me I'm thinking that the best is actually this year's with my Mossberg Shockwave, bought about two months early and in truth not initially intended as a gift to myself. But I've truly had so much fun shooting this crazy thing recently that it truly deserves b-day gift status! Big Grin

Of those guns and pistols that I remember using my birthday as my excuse for buying...my CZ SP-01 Tactical has probably been the most memorable. Funny that early on I really hated the trigger on this pistol but once I stopped trying to stage the thing like it was some damn bull's-eye target gun that it clearly isn't, it's been a absolute joy to shoot.

So what's your most memorable 'Kicked-out-the-womb Day' gun gift to yourself?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat 92G Brigadier Tactical
Bought it only because it was in the case on my birthday this year. And it is beautiful. It actually said "Happy Birthday".

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Bought myself a Sig 1911 Stainless when I turned 45. Smile

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got a cunning plan
posted Hide Post
Hk P7M13 this year for my birthday.

Bought a Novak Browning Hi-Power when I got promoted.

Posts: 987 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: October 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Bought myself a Colt Commander 1911 Cenntenial Commemorative when I retired and turned 60 in 2011.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Ordered a Dan Wesson Valor on my 21st, they cost a lot less back then.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 40th was supposed to be a Garand from the CMP. My buddies insisted on a party instead of me driving to Ohio. Three weeks later I went and they sold out just a few days before.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chadw659:
Hk P7M13 this year for my birthday.

Bought a Novak Browning Hi-Power when I got promoted.

A NOVAK BHP! Love those. I have a partial, not the full blown rebuild. Just a trigger job , sights and stippling. Should a DIRE emergency arise; One of THE last pistols I'd ever sell.

I bought myself a new O/U shotgun as a retirement gift. My Mom and wife threw in some cash as well.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Retirement. I'd worked an extra six weeks and my wife agreed that income was "found money." Bought myself a Lipsey's Stainless Ruger Blackhawk Flattop in .45 Colt and a Marlin 1894CB lever-action carbine in the same caliber to keep it company Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Going to spring for a 10mm in 1911 that can handle full loads. Owned my share of guns but haven't touched a 1911 since I left Vietnam. 1911 has been on my "get list" and reading this thread I realize don't want a tombstone that would say "He Failed to Own a 1911."

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In all honesty, on my birthday(August) I went to my favorite LGS with the intention of buying myself a birthday handgun. I just didn't find anything that rang my bell, so I came home empty handed.....sad, I know!! I will keep looking, as surely I will find something soon.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noveske Recce 16 when I turned 50. It's a gen II which I think is the best ones they made.

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too many this year.

At some point, the wife WILL find out.

Forget birthdays. I'll be needing a headstone, if she doesn't simply drop whatever's left down a mineshaft.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About eight years ago, for my birthday I bought myself: Kahr MK9 Elite. (no night sights)

With tax, OTD close to $875.

Sold it about a year later. Was not impressed with the build quality.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger GP-100 earlier this year when I turned 50. Only time I've ever 'gifted' myself a gun.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Sig 1911 compact carry to reward myself for losing 90 lbs. last March.
S.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up the Sig P226 West German JJ date code on my birthday. It had been on layaway but I decided not to wait any longer.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have done that gift ☆for me☆ twice.
1st was a FNH Scar17s . Then 3 yrs. later , my gift to myself , was a SIG P227 carry.

Glad I lived this long, in both cases.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 182 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yup, birthday is in November and I've sent a deposit for a Scorpion and HB tactical brace. Very much looking forward to it. I hadn't thought about it until you brought it up, but damn I've got $700 to come up with in less than 60 days!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The only one I remember specifically on my birthday was an HK USP9SD. Now I did buy a nice Beretta 686 Grade V for a SD pheasant hunt scheduled on my 40th birthday.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post