SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Experience with putting RMR on Glock 34?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with putting RMR on Glock 34? Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
I bought Sigs with the rmr milled and mounted, but not sure about Glock. I see a couple options including buying an MOS pistol, sending it out to be milled, buying a combo with the rmr milled and mounted? What is your experience, good or not so much? Can you order the slide alone with the cut direct from Glock, I did not see that on their site. Advice appreciated.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
What generation do you want? All Gen5 G34s come cut for the RMR. Any that you pick will be RMR compatible.

If you are looking for Gen 3-4, good luck finding any Glock 34s that you don’t pay through the nose for. There’s nothing at all better or worse about the MOS in my opinion. If you don’t find the MOS you want, ATEI charges $160 to cut the slide, plus refinishing costs if you want it finished.

If you have more specific questions, I’d be happy to answer.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an RMR addict. I've milled just about everything you can name as a popular gun and I've used the glock MOS guns extensively for years. Some people complain that the MOS plate raises the height and is a weak point as well (there are aftermarket plates to address that if it bothers you), but that has not been my experience over tens and tens of thousands of rounds. From glock OEM you get MOS. and G5 (which I would always recommend) its all you get. But while I competed with a G34 for years when it ran irons sights and that was pretty much the optimum length (the 17L was too long), I see zero reason for a longer sight radius on a red dot gun. Me personally competing I went G34 to G17 to G45 as the dot negates any meaningful advantage of barrel length at least in the type of shooting I do (maybe it matters for other reasons to you).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that a lot of the benefit of the long slide is removed with an optic. I'd consider going the other way and setting up a Glock 45 with a red dot.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to do the MOS, I suggest the CHPWS plate.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I disagree on discounting the 34. The recoil impulse is noticeable enough that the dot track is easier on the 34.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the slight thread drift but I have seen people mentioning RMR’s and I have no idea what that is....
Could someone enlighten me?
Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Sorry for the slight thread drift but I have seen people mentioning RMR’s and I have no idea what that is....
Thanks.

RMR stands for “Ruggedized Miniature Reflex” which is Trijicon’s mini red dot optic that many people mount on pistols. Today people refer to any mini red dot optic as an “RMR”, much like people used to refer to a photocopy as a xerox.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built a Polymer80 Glock 34. Used the Brownell's slide that has the RMR slide cut. Put a HoloSun on it. (HS507C V2.) Works perfectly.

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -

Posts: 687 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
Today people refer to any mini red dot optic as an “RMR”, much like people used to refer to a photocopy as a xerox.

Yep. It's become ubiquitous for "any miniature red dot that's beefy enough to stand up to being slammed around on top of a reciprocating pistol slide".

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Thanks.

RMR stands for “Ruggedized Miniature Reflex” which is Trijicon’s mini red dot optic that many people mount on pistols. Today people refer to any mini red dot optic as an “RMR”, much like people used to refer to a photocopy as a xerox.

Thank you! I feel smarter already ;-)

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today people refer to any mini red dot optic as an “RMR”, much like people used to refer to a photocopy as a xerox.

And as a group we should really, really stop doing it. There is nothing more annoying than someone asking help to solve a problem using the term RMR only to find out after 27 people spend time answering the issues to find out that the optic involved is not an actual RMR but some chinese knockoff. Its not like a xerox in that you can't readily substitute them, there are too many footprints, optical differences etc. etc.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. Have to decide now whether to mill an older G34 or go for a new Gen 5. Best regards

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Can anyone help me find a clip for my Ruger?

www.opspectraining.com

Picture of IANative
posted Hide Post

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
USN Veteran
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 446 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Thanks for the input guys. Have to decide now whether to mill an older G34 or go for a new Gen 5. Best regards

I’m a big fan of the Agency Arms AOS milljob. I have two G45s with it and am thinking about a G34 in the future with one.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Gen 4 G34 MOS and with a Leupold Deltapoint Pro on it. For some reason I've had better luck (mounting stability) using a Leupold on it vs a Trigicon RMR. YMMV.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
(mounting stability)

OK so can you explain that one in a bit more detail? The only issues I've seen on mounting an RMR on an MOS gun have been those idiots that don't use the right length screws as provided in the MOS kit by Trijicon. So I'd be interested to hear about other potential issues. I've mounted dozens without issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
(mounting stability)

OK so can you explain that one in a bit more detail? The only issues I've seen on mounting an RMR on an MOS gun have been those idiots that don't use the right length screws as provided in the MOS kit by Trijicon. So I'd be interested to hear about other potential issues. I've mounted dozens without issue.

The MOS stock configuration isn't ideal. Along with the shorter thread engagement, the stock plate does very little to brace the red dot sight body against recoil, so all of the force the sight experiences is transferred through the screws (and undersized posts). MOS plates are notorious for shearing screws or not staying tight.

There's been one recommendation in the thread for the CHPWS, which is definitely an improvement over the stock MOS plate (and they make them for a bunch of different sights). I would also highly recommend the FCD OPF-G, RMR plate, which is steel and has a very tight fit on both ends of the optic body.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdes...OPF-G-RMR_p_224.html

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may be that the MOS setup is not optimum in some ways. But lots and lots of them have lasted without issues (including several of mine with tens and tens of thousands of rounds). While there is a non zero probability you might shear the screws and there are fixes via other suppliers. I would never call that issue "mounting stability". hence my question.