Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NIB USP 40 Login/Join 
posted
Dropped into my LGS yesterday, just to chat. Asked what is that box on the back of the bottom shelf marked HK? Turns out it was a new old stock USP 40 that he had for way too long. Box, book, spare 10 rd. mag, and lifetime warranty card. KF proof date, which I think is 1995. Never owned an HK before. Seems to be built like a tank. Hope to try it out first of the week.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Grab a 357 sig barrel and you’ve got a good combo.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very true! I have both bbls for nearly all of my compatible Sigs, so if I like how this HK shoots, that will be my next quest. Kind of hate to add a brand, as this calls for holsters, more spare mags, etc, etc. I will say that lubing it well seems to make it a lot easier to rack the slide, and even the famously awful HK trigger pull feels better already.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I keep looking at a couple of used ones at the LGS - it'd be interesting to try something different, and I know squat about the UPS beyond the stories about HK's "famous" triggers. My problem is that there's no telling how they've been used and abused in this neck of the woods. Might give one a try, though, since I still have a good stash of .40.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I keep looking at a couple of used ones at the LGS - it'd be interesting to try something different, and I know squat about the UPS beyond the stories about HK's "famous" triggers. My problem is that there's no telling how they've been used and abused in this neck of the woods. Might give one a try, though, since I still have a good stash of .40.

Just inspect the barrel for wear as well as the slide to frame fit etc. I've bought a few dozen used guns over the years, and never had an issue with any of them. I've passed on several that had a rusted barrel inside, or were very sloppy. But I'd say 8 out of 10 used guns are/were rarely shot and GTG.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
We were issued HK USP 40 full size pistols for four yesrs. Bet your life reliable and dead nuts accurate. IIRC they were the first pistols specifically designed around the .40 round.

Great gun. Enjoy yours! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Check for cobbwebs in the barrel. 24 years on the shelf!

Do love me HK DA/SA guns

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No cobwebs, but the gray box was nearly brown with dust. How much grease should I put on the rails? I am all about Bruce's admonition to "get some damn grease". The HK manual would have you use the lightest film of oil on everything. I can see these don't need to run as wet as a Sig, but bone dry seems a bit harsh.

The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I only have my HK USP 45 full size these days. KF date code like yours. I use TW25b on the rails. It has worked fine to date. And I have had the gun since new.

I can tell you that using TW25b, my gun was the ONLY gun not to freeze its lube and quit running. During a winter IDPA Day/Night/Day match - where the high temperature, during the day, was 12°. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
No grease needed.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck finding a 357 sig barrel for that. Hk never made them, only for the compacts. That is a legit pistol though. The trigger system itself has 9 different configurations just by swapping out a few parts.

Full capacity mags are 13 rounds and usually pretty cheap used.

How much was the pistol?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FAL'er,

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oddly, fleabay had no full cap mags, tho I did score a NIW 10 shot last night for $ 20. The 13 shot ones are new at a few places online. About the cheapest place was the HK parts store. The gun was $475 out the door. Much better deal than the beat to hell 229 at another shop for $595 + tax.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FAL'er:
Good luck finding a 357 sig barrel for that.

Bruce Gray always had a more than passing familiarity with HK. I wonder if someone at GrayGuns could steer you in the right direction?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would this work?

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/p...ersion-476p17746.htm

or this:
https://efkfiredragon.com/hkus...e-with-40-sandw.html

although there appear to be some issues with converting a full-size USP40 to .357SIG.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk...l-full-size-usp.html

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
'Std. Capacity' Mags for the USP40 available here --> https://www.crosscreekguns.com...097s-mag-usp-40s-13r

HK 214097S USP 40(S&W) 13 rd

Availability: In Stock
Price: $38.21

I've purchased a 'boatload' of HK mags from Mike at Cross Creek Guns and ALWAYS received OUTSTANDING service! He has best prices for HK mags, period (I stopped looking anywhere else on the web!) and ridiculously fast shipping too! (Think TGS & GregCote fast!) Wink

Re: Converting to .357 SIG, HK never offered the Full Size USP in .357 SIG because they could not get it to feed reliably from the polymer mags. My research revealed they were working on a .357 SIG offering for the Full Size USP as late as the '03/'04 time frame, but ultimately HK abandoned the project. Frown

While there are some aftermarket .357 SIG Conversion Barrels available, reliability has always been an issue. Many have attributed the feeding problems to 'ribs' within the mag body (located right where the cartridge necks down) that can cause the round(s) to nose dive & not feed under certain conditions.

That said, HK did offer the USPc in .357 SIG. It uses an all metal mag body and I can attest that it feeds .357 SIG just fine! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8876 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I've always purchased my HK USP mags from Top Gun Supply. Great price, less than $38.21 if I recall correctly, and great service!

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
https://www.topgunsupply.com/h...w-13rd-magazine.html

Availability: Out of Stock
Price: $36.95

Not sayin' you can't get great service from TGS (I have numerous times!), but currently they don't got'em! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8876 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A far as mags go, if your not in a huge hurry, they pop up used in the classified sections of forums pretty often. I see them as low as $13 to $15 each on occasion.

New and shipping is a little stiff so order a few.
https://lockedloaded.com/produ...-usp-40-black-finish

https://guns2ammo.com/product/...-usp-40-black-finish

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FAL'er,

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are some big pistols but man are they accurate and soft shooting. I had an older police trade in USP 9mm that saw some serious holster and shooting time when I got it but that thing would still shoot the X ring out of a target. I still don't know why I sold it. They are a keeper.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is HKParts.net ?