SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I'm enjoying the comeback of revolvers
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm enjoying the comeback of revolvers Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Those Kimber wheel snubbies do look like Quality, with a capital "Q".

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Well so far the vote is 100% they're not coming back. But, I have a gut feeling that they will, and there have been a few times that my gut beat conventional wisdom over the long haul, so I'm sticking with my gut, notwithstanding my respect for the vote so far in this thread.

Well, based on this time last year, it appears that revolvers have continued their upswing in popularity and new revolver purchases since hberttmark's original post one year ago.

So how does everyone still think about this ? Has the upward swing continued since this time last year ? I still think revolver popularity will continue to increase.

Maybe GreenDragon would be so kind to chime in and give us an update on the "Red Ford Explorer syndrome" or maybe some cursory hard market analysis.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some of us, a good revolver has never needed a comeback. In my case I started with them, and never really left. Over the years, I learned to shoot a 1911 as well as my beloved Smiths & Rugers, but it did take some time, but that was in SA mode.

Twenty years ago, I committed to really learning to shoot DA. And for a year, straight, that's all I shot with my Smiths. Two-handed, I found that my occasional palmed shot out in the 8 ring in SA mode, all but disappeared when shooting DA. That long pull had eliminated the tendency.

Nowadays, my revolver DA shooting is on a par with any auto I pick up when shot at speed. Sigs in particular have a good DA press in my experience...on a par with the oldest of my Smiths worn in by thousands of dry and live fire.

And one other good thing about a revolver is that for you reloaders out there, who, like me get tired of chasing their brass through the fescue, a revolver dumps them neatly into the palm of your hand.

HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Can't beat a good ol' J-frame stoked with decent .38's.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who spoke of the quality of the Kimber K6. And I am no fan of Kimber. But I am an old revolver guy.

Somebody should send a K6 to the current company posing as s&w. So they can see what a fine revolver actually looks and feels like. Evidently nobody there knows. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
I have two Kimber K6S’s, they are the finest revolvers I own, I several S&W revolvers and they are fantastic guns,but the K6S is by far the finest...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's cheaper to build a slide gun. It takes no skill to push the button that cuts the the slides out and casts the frame from glops of melted plastic.

A revolver requires a skilled professional to build.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I'd really like to add some older N frames and K frames like some of the members here have, but the cost to buy in is just too high for me.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Love my older Model 66-3 4" and J-frames.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Oh, cool. Revolvers. Love 'em. Don't have to pick brass out of the grass, get to sling heavy bullets out of some of them, others have fantastic triggers, and some of them make me look like a good shot.

First handgun I owned was the .22 Colt revolver, below.

Gratuitous Pics...

Colt Officer's Model, .22

Smith Model 19-6, .357

Ruger GP 100, .357

Ruger Redhawk, .44 mag

Smith 629, .44 mag

Now if I can only get my hands on a .480 Ruger or .475 Linebaugh, my life would be complete... Maybe...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I know a fellow who hunts large pigs with his 475 Linebaugh. He showed me a Linebaugh XTP bullet he recovered from one of his pigs. By the looks of that bullet, it struck me as an interesting post mortem analysis discussion for a large barbequeue. I haven't seen a Linebaugh cartridge in the flesh, but that bullet was one big ass mofo. I asked him why he uses a Linebaugh instead of something a little more "tame" like a Casull. He had the perfect answer - he just wanted the BFR in camp so tht no-one could top him. He is a very good shooter btw and a very nice fellow. He has some pretty funny hunting stories, one particular one iirc had something to do with large creatures on golf courses in a foreign country, where the hunting laws are somewhere between weak to non-existing.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
I ankle-carry a S&W 640-1 every day and my most recent buy is a M-69 .44, 2.75 barrel. What a joy that is with .44 spl. loads (but kind of brutal with .44 mag...)

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
I agree with many others her, the revolver never left the building. I have a few older S&W "pre-lock" revolvers and love them all.
- Model 19, 4" .357 Magnum bright blue finish (my very first handgun bought back in 1974)
- Model 60 2" stainless 38 Spl
- Model 681 4" .357 Magnum
- Model 629 Classic 5" 44 Magnum

My model 19 is my favorite of them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
I agree with those who spoke of the quality of the Kimber K6. And I am no fan of Kimber. But I am an old revolver guy.

Somebody should send a K6 to the current company posing as s&w. So they can see what a fine revolver actually looks and feels like. Evidently nobody there knows. Regards 18DAI

NO Lie there! All S&W cares about now is profit. Apparently they are run by pencil neck geeks from the Accounting Department.

So sad they are but a glimmer of their former self.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They never went away for me. I have a bunch of semi autos that I carry and shoot in competition.
I also have revolvers. Two J Frames my wife and I have. I have a Ruger Redhawk and Blackhawk in .41 Mag that I hunt with. A Ruger Single Six I plink with and three model 66's, 2.5" 3" and a 4" that has been worked on that I shoot in competition.
I went to a local ICORE match this morning, 1 1/2 hours each way but it was fun. 20+ shooters and lots and lots of shooting.

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
As I said a year ago, and others have echoed, I still hate chasing brass. The last two guns I've bought in the last year were semi-autos, but the gun I spent the most time and money customizing is my 4" GP100/.357; I put Wolfe springs in, a Hogue hardwood checkered finger-groove grip, a gold bead front from Gemini Customs, and a ghost ring rear from Warren Custom Outdoors. So, even though I probably have a 2:1 ratio of semis to revos in my modest collection, revolvers are not going anywhere as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I have a GP100 .44 Spl on my wish list...

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post