SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I'm enjoying the comeback of revolvers
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm enjoying the comeback of revolvers Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't think the small-frame, snub-nose revolver (the new Colt and, I presume, the Kimber are of this type) is making a comeback, because they never really left.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm more into the "older" revolvers.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jnichols2:
"Billy346
Picture of Billy346
posted March 28, 2017 04:56 PM Hide Post
I love shooting revolvers. Right now I only have one, a Smith and Wesson M29 Classic .44 Magnum. It goes to the range with me every time I go. I've noticed since I learned to master the double action trigger on my revolver, semi-autos are much easier to shoot and control."

So --- you only have one. I bet that one "made your day".

You sure picked a nice one for your first.

PS I stole your picture. Smile

I also have a S&W M29 Classic in .44 mag and I love this thing. The sweetest trigger and just fun to shoot.

Here is a pic:

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I don't think the small-frame, snub-nose revolver (the new Colt and, I presume, the Kimber are of this type) is making a comeback, because they never really left.
Yup.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
For something that isn't coming back, nice ones sure are damned expensive.

that is one reason why they are so expensive: limited production runs/poor economy of scale

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
and the fact that some of us oldies are sittin' on piles of S&W and Colts, thus keeping them off of the secondary market at other than obscene prices.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Comeback of revolvers? I never knew they went anywhere.

My Python is 56 years young and still going strong.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2190 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the only semi that came remotely close to shooting a 6 inch python was a Springfield professional, 1911
I am talking about fun , comfort, simplicity,
revolvers forever

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
the only semi that came remotely close to shooting a 6 inch python was a Springfield professional, 1911
I am talking about fun , comfort, simplicity,
revolvers forever

I beg to differ. While the Python is all that you describe, it pales in comparison to my '47 SP 47/8. That pistol has the finest trigger I have ever experienced, bar none. Plus, the 47/8 simply melts in your hand. It really is unbelievable to shoot.

Posts: 2190 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
'47 SP 47/8.

I don't know what that is

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
'47 SP 47/8.

It is the precursor of the P210. To the uninformed, a 47/8 and a P210 appear identical. But, they are not. One must handle both to experience the differences and understand.

Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I have been shooting revolvers for fifty years,they are smiths and I have pairs of them mostly,these days.
I have downsized on some to friends

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several people shoot 617 22LR revolvers in Bowling Pin competition. . . . a specialty item

However, to evaluate new technology, I did buy for myself a Ruger LCRx in 38 Special with the longer barrel and exposed hammer. The lock work is an improvement on very old technology. Improvements in semi-autos continue, but no more are expected with revolvers other than in materials.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a guy who shoots my club's IPSC matches with a S&W 9mm revolver. I think it holds 9 shots. He does pretty well with it.

The last gun on my wishlist is a Smith 27, not the current shit of course, with a 4 or 5 inch barrel. I'll probably be paying a bit if I ever find one. I've had 4 Smith 28s. Great guns, but I want the 27.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About once every two weeks I rotate in a Smith that his the little lock hole in it. Carries and shoots great. Works out well in a Mika pocket holster. I could care less that it has that lock.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
quote:
quote:
'47 SP 47/8.

It is the precursor of the P210. To the uninformed, a 47/8 and a P210 appear identical. But, they are not. One must handle both to experience the differences and understand

I had two over the years but I remember it as the model 49. Am I mistaken or is there also a model 49 precursor to the 210?

Incredible gun. The loss of those two are my life-long deepest regret of letting a pistol go despite the justified reasons for selling them.

Regarding revolvers, I have a few autos and sorely missed a revolver so I bought a 1977 model 10 Smith and Wesson with the original police holster to add a wheel gun in my collection. Plain-Jane but pure class. I love revolvers but carry autos.

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rifmon:.
I had two over the years but I remember it as the model 49. Am I mistaken or is there also a model 49 precursor to the 210?

The 47/8 was the precursor of the P49 (Swiss Military), M49 (Danish Military) and P210 (everyone else). When compared to the others, the 47/8 is lighter and slimmer. It feels very nimble in my hand.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
quote:
Originally posted by rifmon:.

The 47/8 was the precursor of the P49 (Swiss Military), M49 (Danish Military) and P210 (everyone else). When compared to the others, the 47/8 is lighter and slimmer. It feels very nimble in my hand.

Thanks for the info! I was unaware of the two. So both of mine were Danish. If I were to ever have the money, I'd like to get another pre 210. There was something very special and unique about them.

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call it a comeback. Colt is trying to stay afloat with the cobra. Kimber made a heavy $900 .357 snub that already existed for less.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
In answer to the over priced Kimber revolver, I say this, I own one, and it's the finest snub nose revolver I have, and I own several high end models, this Kimber K6S is built like a vault, and has the smoothest DAO trigger of any of my other snub noses,, so even at a high price, it's worth every penny IMHO..every corner is cut to a 45 degree angle, which gives this a total melted effect, the lock up is tighter than any gun I've seen as of yet, the engineering on this gun is just fantastic, the cylinder to forcing cone gap is tight for superb accuracy, each chamber is recessed for additional tightness of the cyliner to the frame, sights can be changed if needed, the Crimson Trace LASERLESS Grips hold a grip better than I thought they would, my K6S has been totally reliable and accurate right from the cheap Kimber box, some times you get what you pay for, and Kimber did it right...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post