SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    226 SAO Questions - 2nd Update at top
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 SAO Questions - 2nd Update at top Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Update #2:

Well this showed up today...

Cocked and locked just like God and John Moses Browning intended every semi-auto to be. Smile

Sig replaced my 226 Elite SAO with a 226 Legion SAO at no charge. Initial impressions after inspection and dry firing, I like the trigger, a lot! Much crisper than the one that came with my Elite even after Sig worked on it the first time. The safety works as intended. I still feel the whole, "Legion" thing is a little gimmicky but the overall features of the gun are solid.

If I end up liking this pistol as much as I think I will, I may have to order a 229 SAO to go with it.

Update:

Just got off the phone with Sig Customer service. According to them there is a defect in the frame which is not fully supporting the safety and not allowing it to function properly. In their opinion the gun is non-repairable. They have offered to replace it at no cost to me with a Sig Legion 226 SAO or a Sig Legion SAO RX.

I may regret this later but I chose the non RX version. I have yet to try optics on a pistol. The 226 SAO was somewhat of a grail gun for me. I didn't want my first foray into optics to be on this gun. I wanted the basic SAO, kind of a modern day supplement to my Browning Hi Power.

I will say having to send the pistol back twice was frustrating. But it is nice to receive customer service like this in the end.

Original post:

Got my Sig 226 SAO back from its trip to the factory. They replaced the thumb safety spring and, "Cleaned up the trigger bar to ensure a positive engagement of the safety." The safety definitely has a more positive engagement now than before.

The question I have is that the issue that originally tipped me off to something being wrong with the safety is still there. If I engage the safety and pull the slide back, the safety lever does move downward slightly. Upon releasing the slide, the safety appears that it is still engage but the trigger can be pulled and it drops the hammer. Is this normal for the 226 SAO?

My 220 Carry SAO that I had years ago did not do this. Engage the safety, operate the slide and the safety remained engaged. And oh yes, my LGS is a little pissed at Sig for not sending them a shipping label.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of testfire
posted Hide Post
I tried it with my Sig 226 Legion SAO, and it won't do it. Safety engaged, pull slide back, release slide using slide release, pull trigger, no hammer drop. Safety goes down, hammer gets pulled, hammed drops. Sounds like an issue to me.

I would place another phone call. Thoughts?

Posts: 386 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: May 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto here, call Sig CS again. I tried the same on my P220 SAO 10mm. Safety on, pull the slide back, pull trigger, hammer does not drop. The safety does not move when the slide is pulled back either.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
With the safety engaged on my Legion 226 SAO, the safety lever doesn't move when I rack the slide & I'm unable to pull the trigger with the safety engaged. That sounds like a serious safety issue to me & I'm surprised Sig sent it back to you like that.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
my 220 SAO doesn't do what yours is doing either.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just brainstorming, where is your hand when you rack your slide? Are you hitting the safety with your hand?

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Factor8:
Just brainstorming, where is your hand when you rack your slide? Are you hitting the safety with your hand?

Hand is nowhere near the safety. You can actually see the safety drop a fraction of an inch as the slide is pulled back. If I forcibly hold my thumb underneath the safety, it blocks the slide from being pulled back.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Long phone conversation with Sig customer service. They were very apologetic, RMA label is being sent to me personally to send it back in for repair.

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
You pay attention.

Smart man.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Smart man.

Yes.
Please keep us posted.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing this up, mine is okay as well but I doubt I would've ever checked for this situation. Good luck

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Got my Sig 226 SAO back from its trip to the factory. They replaced the thumb safety spring and, "Cleaned up the trigger bar to ensure a positive engagement of the safety." The safety definitely has a more positive engagement now than before.

The question I have is that the issue that originally tipped me off to something being wrong with the safety is still there. If I engage the safety and pull the slide back, the safety lever does move downward slightly. Upon releasing the slide, the safety appears that it is still engage but the trigger can be pulled and it drops the hammer. Is this normal for the 226 SAO?

My 220 Carry SAO that I had years ago did not do this. Engage the safety, operate the slide and the safety remained engaged. And oh yes, my LGS is a little pissed at Sig for not sending them a shipping label.

I have a Sig P226S Tactical. I believe it's a precursor to the X5 variants. It has a 5" barrel and tactical sights. It exhibits the behavior you describe. I called Sig to see if it could be modified to allow the slide to be racked while the safety was on, like the Legion SAO. The answer was no. When I described the above behavior I didn't get any kind of definitive answer. It's like they never heard of it. It is unnerving. My short term solution is not to rack the slide with the safety on, on the range I run it dry and keep it dry till the next go. It's a range-only gun.

Posts: 19 | Registered: January 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Update at top.

posted Hide Post
Not sure of a better outcome. The legion's trigger is better out of the box. It has a lot going for it. Glad sig took great care of you.

Nearly every customer service contact I have had with firearms companies has been fantastic. Smith, Colt, Sig, Kriss, BnT, Dan Wesson. All of them have been stand up companies, yeah it may take a while, but it will get taken care of.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you could have removed the rx and put a plate on it. but it is nice. the nitron finish is better and I would have gone that route had they had it when I got my legion sao rx

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
2nd update at top.

posted Hide Post
Dang, just checked my 226ESao does not have your issue..

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I dig it. Forget about the gimmicky Legion branding and take the pistol for what it is. A badass P226 with VERY usable upgrades.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post