SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need to purchase of 2 pocket pistols. Which 2 should I buy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to purchase of 2 pocket pistols. Which 2 should I buy? Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ the shield is also the highest selling semiauto in the US. It seems it would make sense to have a representative sample of popular options for "students" to compare. As the OP stated though, he is dedicated to presentation from deep cover (pocket carry) with a safety so that will probably eliminate 95% percent of options. I don't know how snappy the cm9 is as that is the only 9mm small enough to pocket carry that can think of off hand but it probably shouldn't be the first pistol someone has ever fired in their life. Good luck with your plans.

It would also appear this is focused on female students, no ?

Posts: 3508 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the suggestion of the manual safety... Just do not use it if you do not like it. However, I am reading too frequently about a toddler firing a pistol in mama"s purse or an accidental discharge returning a pistol to pocket or holster.

That isn't a safety/non safety function problem, that's an irresponsible gun owner problem, and since the same person was dumb enough that they left a gun in a toddlers reach do you think they'll actually remember to set the safety in the first place.

It's your show, but limiting options to that narrow set may turn off prospective class attendees,

The reason there are many options is that people look for many things, if you have women in the class many new shooters may be turned off by the recoil of 9mm in a small hand gun and prefer 380, or a revolver.

Many folks don't care for a manual safety on a defensive carry firearm, millions are carried each day without discharge, again your show, but why limit yourself and your potential for customers.

I'd add to the list a G42 for the ladies, Ruger LCP in 380 small 38 revolver like the LCR. Thats just me.

Otherwise you are pretty much limited to the Shield and LC9S unless you want some really expensive range guns for others to shoot.

Posts: 23397 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're teaching the class, but are making decisions based on things you've read or heard happening? I'd rather have an instructor who'd knowledgeable based on training and experience. Recommending a firearm based on what you guess or have heard might happen seems haphazard, at best.

Reliability, function, and the ability of the user to operate the firearm should be chief criteria. Safety isn't found in a mechanical lever, but in the user, and that's a training function.

I've never been big on the notion of idiot proofing a firearm. It's supposed to be dangerous.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

...Anyway, you seem to have your mind made up before you even asked us.

Yes, the OP made it clear that he was already favoring a couple of pistols by making this statement...

... I am considering adding both the Shield and the Ruger LCR9.

Looked to me that he/she was asking for confirmation or alternatives. Not sure I see anything wrong with that.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post