SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need to purchase of 2 pocket pistols. Which 2 should I buy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to purchase of 2 pocket pistols. Which 2 should I buy? Login/Join 
Picture of EasyFire
posted
I have regretted selling every gun I have sold. But my budget says I must sell. Oh well….

I do need the Forums advice on which pocket pistols to buy. No Glocks… Frown

Parameters:

These pistols will be used in instruction for my CCW Training Classes. They should be under 21 oz. in weight and small enough to slide in jeans pockets easily. Able to accept a Crimson Trace laser light. Not less than 9mm caliber. 5 round minimum capacity. Semi-automatic must have manual safety for purse and pocket security. Cost is a factor.

Please no variations of minimum requirements.

I currently employ Sig 938 and S&W 340, but they are a bit pricey for many of my students buying their first gun. I am considering adding both the Shield and the Ruger LCR9.

What say the experts here?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EasyFire,

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Shield is a great choice can't disagree there. A lot of people love the LC9s as well. I would say Glock 43, but if you need a manual safety then that's out. That's too bad you have to get rid of a nice Beretta though. What's the model of that?

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Shield in 9MM and a S&W 442/642.

Both have rebates going.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Shield is a great choice can't disagree there. A lot of people love the LC9s as well. I would say Glock 43, but if you need a manual safety then that's out. That's too bad you have to get rid of a nice Beretta though. What's the model of that?

Deleted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EasyFire,

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
Nationwide Agent for >

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say the Shield or the LC9s.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
I do need the Forums advice on which pocket pistols to buy. No Glocks…
Then, why mention the pistol you have for sale? What was the point of that?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I do need the Forums advice on which pocket pistols to buy. No Glocks…
Then, why mention the pistol you have for sale? What was the point of that?

Just expressing my reluctance to sell a long term owned pistol. Not committed to sell yet. I have deleted references to the pistol. Sorry for the post.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
Nationwide Agent for >

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Is the purpose of this pistol that you have all of your students buy this gun in the setup yous've described?

If so, I'd rethink that. Having a one size fits all for CCW is selling your students an idea that isn't reality.

I'd think giving them a good education and helping them find what's right for them is what I'd want someone instructing me to do.

Just a thought.

As for your question, 938 imo.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Kahr CM9.

Oops. Missed the "safety" requirement.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: craigcpa,

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Is the purpose of this pistol that you have all of your students buy this gun in the setup yous've described?

If so, I'd rethink that. Having a one size fits all for CCW is selling your students an idea that isn't reality.

I'd think giving them a good education and helping them find what's right for them is what I'd want someone instructing me to do.

Just a thought.

As for your question, 938 imo.

Thanks for your response.

My purpose is to give my students actual hands on experience in selecting the best concealable handgun for their lifestyle. Currently I offer 5 handguns to try…. 2 S&Ws & 3 Sigs – all with lasers as appropriate. I want to add at least 1 striker fired pistol and a second small revolver. I do not sell guns.

I think this meets your qualifications as to what you would want.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
Nationwide Agent for >

posted Hide Post
NM. My point was not relative to your post.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Kahr CM9.

I do not believe that pistol has a safety... does it?

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
Nationwide Agent for >

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Honestly your parameters are too rigid to offer a lot of options. The manual safety alone drops most guns as options. The shield and LC9 are probably your only choices...neither of which slide into jeans pockets easily unless you wear big clown pants. I think you need to pick one or two attributes that are really important to you. The only real pocket friendly 9mm pistols are the 938, CM9/PM9's. They do make a PM9 with a safety for MA but it will be out of your price range.

The Taurus 709 is a cheap gun that is reliable and has a safety but pocketability is questionable. You can find them for under $200 at times.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Shield, LC9S, Honor Defense subcompact, Taurus 709 Slim, and the aforementioned 938 and similar Kimber Micro9...beyond these my mind draws a blank when it comes to 'pocketable single-stack wonder 9s' with a thumb safety. There's probably more out there...someplace.

Frankly for someone of MY size, it's highly doubtful that I'd want to or even try to carry some of these in the kinds of pockets that my current clothes come sized with. Unless I'm constantly wearing cargo pants or shorts, which I normally can't stand. Just sayin'.

And why the requirement of a thumb safety? Because your students are new to the gun world?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:

My purpose is to give my students actual hands on experience in selecting the best concealable handgun for their lifestyle.

So then why immediately disallow one of the more popular gun brands straight out of the gate?

If your interest is truly in letting your students get experience with multiple firearms so that they can make the best choice for their lifestyle then shouldn't you let them actually choose what gun works best for them instead of limiting their choices?

A friend of mine carries a Glock 43 in her purse and has carried a Glock of some sort in her purse for many years. With the proper holster and purse it is as safe as any other gun. Maybe if you are interested in letting your students pick what is truly best for them you could assist them in selecting the proper carry setup for their gun instead of forcing them into, or away from, a particular gun.

ETA: To answer the question I do like the S&W M&P Shield quite a bit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Honestly your parameters are too rigid to offer a lot of options. The manual safety alone drops most guns as options

^^^^
THIS

Why the manual safety? You just eliminated most decent pocket pistols right off the bat! You DO realize that most good mouseguns have heavier pull DAO triggers that ARE the safety?

I'd also include .380 in a revised set of requirements that eliminates an external safety. You would do well with a KT P3AT or Ruger LCP both of which have laser sights available.

Posts: 33768 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Shield, LC9S, Honor Defense subcompact, Taurus 709 Slim, and the aforementioned 938 and similar Kimber Micro9...beyond these my mind draws a blank when it comes to 'pocketable single-stack wonder 9s' with a thumb safety. There's probably more out there...someplace.

And why the requirement of a thumb safety? Because your students are new to the gun world?

Thanks for your response Soggy! You have given me exactly what I needed in suggesting the consideration of the Taurus line. While perhaps a second tier manufacturer, their products may be acceptable.

On the suggestion of the manual safety... Just do not use it if you do not like it. However, I am reading too frequently about a toddler firing a pistol in mama"s purse or an accidental discharge returning a pistol to pocket or holster.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
Nationwide Agent for >

Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

My purpose is to give my students actual hands on experience in selecting the best concealable handgun for their lifestyle.

So then why immediately disallow one of the more popular gun brands straight out of the gate?

If your interest is truly in letting your students get experience with multiple firearms so that they can make the best choice for their lifestyle then shouldn't you let them actually choose what gun works best for them instead of limiting their choices?

Maybe if you are interested in letting your students pick what is truly best for them you could assist them in selecting the proper carry setup for their gun instead of forcing them into, or away from, a particular gun.

Pale Horse.... I think you are assuming a bit too much. Smile Do you honestly think that if I go to the trouble to buy & furnish guns that meet my 50 years of experience in safe, but effective shooting that I am not covering holsters, carry techniques among other things.

Ah and "forcing and limiting choices"... is not my style even if I were a seller of guns. I am however reminded of a physician and his finance that I taught to shoot defensively. Recommended he consider a Smith J frame. He wound up with a S&W SD9 VE that was cheap, but totally unsuited to his jogging and running life style. Embarrassed, he told me it was stolen rather that admit it was unsuitable. Bought a 442 that he proudly carries today even while seeing patients. Other times my recommendations are truly off base.

I do thank you and the others for comments as I have been known to overlook the obvious at times.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
Nationwide Agent for >

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

On the suggestion of the manual safety... Just do not use it if you do not like it. However, I am reading too frequently about a toddler firing a pistol in mama"s purse or an accidental discharge returning a pistol to pocket or holster.

That is just dumb gun handling and negligence and having an external safety isn't going to solve that.

Anyway, you seem to have your mind made up before you even asked us.

Posts: 33768 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Hands down the Shield. Best CCW pistol I own.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post