SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Got asked to help a friend get some guns before the election.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got asked to help a friend get some guns before the election. Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
If you were starting over with say $10,000-$15,000 to get 2-3 handguns and a couple of ARs, what would you get?

He wants a house gun, a medium carry gun and a pocket gun. lights, lasers, red dots...

He kinda knows but I’m curious as to what you would get.

Edit: And a shotgun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ruger357,

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get:
Ruger LCP 2
Shield 9mm
CZ75B
Colt competition 1911 .45
Remington 1100 12 gauge 20" barrel and 28" barrel
Colt 6920 magpul edition
If hunting/woods is involved:
Ruger 10/22
S+W 629 or 500 6" +/-
and something in .308 with a leaupold scope

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Spend 1/3 on guns, a little more on optics/lights and the rest on ammo + training. What firearms depends on his carry & HD needs, which is situation specific. Little gained from knowing what we’d select w/o understanding our context.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...being a Glock guy...except FINDING Glocks right now is next to impossible. Then again, so is pretty much everything else...

Still...I'd pick a G19 as the primary handgun, with a P365 as the secondary/pocket gun; that eats up $1100. A Shockwave 'firearm' in 12ga for the HD role (and woods role, too); another $400. A solid 22LR rifle like the Ruger 10/22, budgeting $350 for the 11100 takedown version. Or a bolt 22LR like a CZ 457 (similar kind of money); great for small game and varminting. For large game survival hunting, I'd prefer a decent bolt-gun in 6.5...or 30-06, over forcing an AR into the hunting role. Something like a Tikka T3x Lite, setting aside $1500 for rifle and optic.

As for the multi-purpose rifle: AR-15 which I'd build it myself; another $1500 for budget, maybe even including a cheap optic. Likely as a pistol. Or perhaps not. 16" barrel regardless. Then I'd also build an alternative upper in 300BLK ($400). As for a longer range AR-10 alternative, if I did include one I'd build one with a 20" barrel (again $1500); in .308 though I do like shooting 6.5CR through mine. I'd also add a good field shotgun; I'd likely break down and splurge on a Beretta 28" A400 12ga ($1600).

If I added the numbers up correctly I'm at $8350 so far.

Another splurge: I'd pick a SIG MPX subgun ($2000), just because I'm not a fan of the CZ Scorpion and I don't know how good the new Ruger is. And I would also add a 10mm for the woods (G20, $650). That puts me at $11k. A couple of 22LR pistol like a S&W Victory and M&P22C would be nice ($700 total), and then maybe another splurge in a nice range pistol (P320 X5 Legion; $800). Now at $12.5k if my math is correct. Use the remaining $2500 on a Optimus can, magazines, red dots, holsters, bipods, slings, etc. Find at least another $10,000 for AMMO. And another $4k for a very good gun safe, maybe enough left over for a decent ammo storage locker. Lose the AR-10 and that frees up $1500 to go towards more accessories, or into the ammo/safe budget.

-MG

Posts: 1987 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend an AR, Glock 19, Benelli M4, 20 Mags for the AR, 10 for the Glock and all the rest of the money into ammo. Of course this is just a wish list at this late hour.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20 inch L.M.T. w/ scope in .308 win
14 inch Noveskie with double optics in 5.56
4.25 inch 1911

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I would get a Glock 19, a Glock 17, a high quality pair of ARs (maybe an AR pistol) and a couple of shotguns. With the remaining money, I’d try to buy ammo and get some training.

It’s gonna be rough trying to find that stuff now, but I’m sure he can do it. He may have to ay a premium price.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLD_COP:
I recommend an AR, Glock 19, Benelli M4, 20 Mags for the AR, 10 for the Glock and all the rest of the money into ammo. Of course this is just a wish list at this late hour.

Exactly how I’d do it. DD MK18 (with red dot), Glock 19, Benelli M4, and the rest on mags/ammo. Get a Louisville Slugger and barbed wire a la Lucille for good measure.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
A half decent AR, a Glock 19/26, JFrame sized gun.

In normal times.
AR-1200 approx
Glock - 550ish
J-450ish

So say $2200-2300 ish

Add

Aimpoint/MRO for the rifle 600ish
10 mags for the rifle 150ish
White light for the rifle 200ish
500 round defensive ammo ??? 450?
Sling 50ish.

So we are at 3800-3900ish

Night sights for the Glock 110ish
10 mags for the Glock 250ish
500 rounds defensive ammo 500ish

So we are at 4800ish

Laser grips for the JFrame 300ish
500 rounds defensive ammo 500ish
10 speed loaders 150ish

So we are at 5800ish

Add some holster options OWB/IWB/Ankle/Deep conceal/off body (a range) and belt 500ish

So we are at $6300ish

Use the rest for more ammo or a shotgun to add to the mix with ammo, light, sling. Maybe another Glock (17,45, 34 etc and it’s accouterments). Also make sure to have a decent flashlight.

It’s not his budget that is in any way a problem it’s the current availability of ANYTHING. My numbers may be a little high or low here or there but he has plenty of budget to work with. He should have money left for a locking cabinet/small safe to secure them.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Getting the guns isn't too hard, feeding them is a whole other story LOL. Big Grin

I'd go with:
Benelli M4
Daniel Defense AR
SCAR Heavy
Lights/Red Dots/Mags/etc for them all
Normally I'd say Glock 34 or 17, 19, and and LCP, but Glocks are hard to find and crazy high when you do.
So I'll be different and say a Beretta 92, PX4 Compact, and a LCP.
Hell, maybe even substitute 320s for the Berettas.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
-Glock 19 or Sig P320 Compact, with a mounted flashlight (TLR-1HL or TLR-7A)
-Glock 43 or Sig P365
-At least 5x magazines for each handgun
-Benelli M4 or Beretta 1301 with a sling and flashlight, and maybe an Aimpoint red dot
-BCM or Daniel Defense Midlength AR with an Aimpoint red dot, sling, and flashlight
-At least 6x AR magazines
-A good gun belt
-A good holster for each handgun
-At least 2x good mag pouches for each handgun

And then spend the rest on a bunch of practice and defensive ammo and several rounds of high quality training. There's no point in owning $15k worth of guns if you don't know how to shoot well or effectively defend yourself, unless you're fine with strictly being just a collector.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
all these lists are great, and similar, but the thing is, now thru the election (and maybe longer) the market is just about wiped out,

as in, most of the stuff listed is hard to find now, or pricey, or both,

and ammo is even worse,

may be a good time to chat with your friend about timeliness and to read the several threads here on panics and buying,

stepping off the soap box, , get on grab a gun, or gunbroker, and just have him search what he feels he may like,

really need to get some stuff in his hand to see what he likes, so maybe get a handful of friends together and have a day at the range so he can try some stuff out,

meanwhile, nothing wrong with a PSA/RRA/Armalite/etc branded rifle that will not break the bank

handguns,, need more info on handsize and experience honestly, but the suggestion of a J frame is valid, everyone should have at least one,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
A solid revolver either Smith 65 or 10 4 inch, when all else fails.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would also consider picking up a used but reliable Sig, Glock or other .40 at a good price as the ammo seems to be the last to run out.
Since this is someone that has little or no experience I wouldn't overwhelm them with a number of different types of weapons.
If the election goes the way most of us want, things may eventually get back to more reasonable and available so I wouldn't stock up too much at the top of the market or buy undesirable stuff just because they were available.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
a x-compact
an x5 legion with light
a Barrett or BCM ar with all the trimmings
300 blkout upper for hone defense

10 mags for each

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget the corresponding ammo for the choices provided Wink

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder where he is going to FIND all this stuff, especially ammo?

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were starting over, as much as I love my Sig's, I'd first start with:

House: BCM 11.5" AR or BCM 9" 300BO
House: 92G Elite LTT Centurion w/ RDO slide
Medium: 92G Elite LTT Compact
Pocket: P365
Shotgun: Mossberg 590A1

Can swap slides, use the same mags, interchange the same parts, and use the same holsters for both of those LTT's. Throw in some X-Grip 92C mag adapters to use larger cap magazines in the compact. Then start buying more Classic line Sig's...

Posts: 351 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got asked to help a friend get some guns before the election.

Don't know if hypothetical or real life, but your friend is deciding this at the worst possible time if he wants choices. Especially after last night.

For CCW, Hellcats and Sig 365s seem to be available where I am locally. No 9mm Glocks whatsoever except for several Trump laser engraved ones. Even revolvers, especially .38/.357mag, are scarce. Same with 18" tactical pump action shotguns. Your friend needs to come up with a list of what is available to him and work off of that.

I feel bad for the first time buyers right now; sure, some guns can be had, but ammo to feed them...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Got asked to help a friend get some guns before the election.

Don't know if hypothetical or real life, but your friend is deciding this at the worst possible time if he wants choices. Especially after last night.

For CCW, Hellcats and Sig 365s seem to be available where I am locally. No 9mm Glocks whatsoever except for several Trump laser engraved ones. Even revolvers, especially .38/.357mag, are scarce. Same with 18" tactical pump action shotguns. Your friend needs to come up with a list of what is available to him and work off of that.

I feel bad for the first time buyers right now; sure, some guns can be had, but ammo to feed them...

What happened last night ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post