SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .300 Blk. Pistol. Vortex Venom opinions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 Blk. Pistol. Vortex Venom opinions. Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
Never thought I would want one, but a friend just built a .556 pistol. It is a pretty sharp build, IMO.

I cannot afford a Sig, but have been looking at PSA and some of the kits they offer.

Specifically a sba4 brace, 10.5" barrel.

Right now, I have no intention of a can, but my friends all tell me that will change. I doubt it, but like I said, I never thought I would be considering an AR pistol.

I appreciate any feedback the brain trust here has to offer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P-220,

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have a SIG MCX in 300 Blackout, and firmly believe that such pistols (or SBRs) are most logical reason to have a gun chambered for the cartridge, and that having such a gun can fill an important operational niche.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My PSA kit has been totally reliable and fun. It sounds like a nail gun, with the can on it. Seriously, pulling the charging handle and chambering a round seems louder.

Go for it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’d like a SIG Rattler in 300blk but for now my PSA 7.5” (pistol) and 8.5” (sbr) have been running fine. Suppressed and unsuppressed.

Here’s my pistol with Sandman-K. PSA upper and lower.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I love 300 BO. My SBR wears its Blackout upper more than any other despite having a 5.56 and a .22 upper for it also. I have a 762SDN6 on it and run subs through it.

I also have a Rattler that I use supers unsuppressed.

I don’t think I’ve ever jumped on a new caliber as quick as I did 300 and I don’t regret it at all.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Ok, My upper has arrived. 10.5" with the flash can.

I have ordered a lower with the sba4 brace.

Now I am looking at optics, but know very little about them.

Is the Vortex Venom Red Dot 3MOA a decent optic for this type of pistol? Probably nothing out to more than 100 yards.

I have the MBUS that came with the upper. Will I have to remove them to use the Vortex Venom?

Thank you for your help, this type of pistol is all new to me.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you can use the Vortex Venom on your 300blk. I have one on a Ruger Mark IV and it's been working well so far, albeit it's a .22lr.

Like Chowser it seems, I have a Romeo 5 red dot on my 8" 300blk build and it's worked great and the motion activation is a plus. Got mine on sale at my LGS for $99. You can probably get it at that price around Black Friday weekend.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1048 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Viper on a handgun, it's similar to the Venom. I found it too small on an AR pistol.
I think PSA sometimes has the Romeo 5 and Magpul MBUS on sale for $150. Check Black Friday sales.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Trijicon RMR on my 300blk pistol. The dual illuminated model on this gun now wears a LED model. If looking to save some money, I would recommend the Holosun Red Dots that come with the proper height mounts to use on your AR15. Put the optic forward on the rail, and keep your Magpul sights on the gun. You will be able to use your sights through the optic should it go down for any reason.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have astigmatism and the red dots are too fuzzy for me so I have a Vortex Spitfire prism on my 300 BO pistol. It may be a little larger optic than you are looking for but it works well for me.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all your replies.

I now have the upper and lower, I plan to put them together later this evening.

Do any of you use a buffer (accu-wedge) in your AR pistol? Are all buffers created equally, or are some better than others?

I have talked to a few people who swear I will suppress it. I said "i doubt it". But like I said earlier, I never thought I would want an AR pistol, but here I am.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is an open red dot the right optic for this application? While this gun legally a pistol, this is not a handgun. It's significantly bigger than a "real" pistol. It could accommodate something a little bigger. Maybe a closed tube red dot? In the Vortex line, the Spac or Strikefire. The tininess of the open red dots is not necessary. And a closed tube red dot would likely be a bit more robust, and not as likely to get blocked up by crud.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Saw his pop on YouTube. Seemed appropriate.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/x-8gzCTKwWY

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
It is coming along nicely.

I purchased 5-20 round Lancer (smoked) mags. Any known issues with Lancer? My options for 20 round .300 Blackout mags was pretty limited.

Also, any recommendations for a sling? I have the Sba4 brace.

Thank you.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
What optic did you end up with, the Venom?

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
What optic did you end up with, the Venom?

No, I sent the Venom back and ordered the Vortex Strikefire 2.

The Trijicon and Aimpoint were just a little more than I wanted to spend at this point.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve