Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 dilemma Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Read through that flyer. Looks like there are some great deals.

Wonder how that 50% off 1911 sale is going to go. Hope it's true.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat, and buy 2, 1 in 9mm and 1 in .45 and both governments....if it's true, you could sell them for a lot more than you paid just by walking out the door with them. It says "all in stock 1911's 50% off" I think that means other brands too.....but doubt they'll have many in stock.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
50% off sounds about right for a WC, to me. I've never been impressed, especially at retail, having always found them to be the most over rated, least attractive, 1911s in their class.

Heresy to some, I'm sure.

And I hate their magazines with a fiery passion, so to speak.

Fine enough pistols, in the end, especially at a discount, but overhyped in general, IMO.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
update...they had 5 or 6 styles of WC, all over $4K. Looks like they had all models of Springfield, TRP for $1500, Loaded and RO for about $1K. Should be some great deals on Sunday.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
STI single stack 50% off too.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I would jump all over one of the cheaper Springfield guns.

I've been meaning to add a 1911 to the collection after I sold my first one. 50% off a Loaded or RO Elite would be way too tempting to pass up.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
50% off sounds about right for a WC, to me. I've never been impressed, especially at retail, having always found them to be the most over rated, least attractive, 1911s in their class.

Fine enough pistols, in the end, especially at a discount, but overhyped in general, IMO.

Whoah!

I love Wilson Combat 1911's. Of course, this went to the range with me today...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SVTNate,

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
NIB guns from the factory? Talk about selling at a serious loss. But sometimes a company just needs to move dead-selling inventory. Inventory that's doing nothing but collecting dust is like a cancer.

I'm no fan of Springfield the company so it's they're a non-starter for me. All in on Wilson; I'd pick up at least one at that pricing.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Naples got hit pretty hard with Hurricane Irma, I'm guessing they're just trying to generate cash.

OP what did you buy?????

posted Hide Post
Line was 30 people deep, I got there late on purpose. No purchases today.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
Line was 30 people deep, I got there late on purpose. No purchases today.

To save 50% on a WC would be worth the wait.

Was the flyer legit? Were they really discounting the 1911 pistols at 50% off with ample supply?

posted Hide Post
flyer was legit. I wonder if Springfield is discontinuing most of the old models for the new "elite" models.

posted Hide Post
...and even in Naples I don't think many people can appreciate the quality of WC, most people are into Glocks and S&W.

posted Hide Post
quote:

So what is a better 1911?

What is wrong with their magazines?

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
...and even in Naples I don't think many people can appreciate the quality of WC, most people are into Glocks and S&W.

Really? I thought Naples is where the money retired to.

I'm in east Orlando and this is definitely a Glock-type of area. Big Grin

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
quote:

In my experience, and in that class, I prefer Brown and Baer to every Wilson I've ever laid my hands on. In even nicer classes, I greatly prefer a Colt by Yost or Burton or Rogers.

In hindsight, after having owned several nice 1911s and shot several others and having carried them for many years, a Yost Colt is probably the only one I'd ever pay north of $3000 for again. The one exception I'm considering is a Guncrafter CCO because they're one of the few who offer all steel CCOs with some degree of customization without $$$$$$.

To me, Wilsons are fine enough guns - for about $1500-2000, but there are better options for more money. And I've had very inconsistent luck with their 47D Magazines, having found the all stainless 7rd ones with welded baseplates with rounded metal followers from Metalform to be perfect, to me. The 47Ds from Wilson feel like cheap trash by comparison.

I'm no professional gunfighter, nor even a bona-fide 1911 expert, but I've shot 50,000 or more rounds through them and carried them for 20+ years altogether.

ymmv.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
quote:

In my experience, and in that class, I prefer Brown and Baer to every Wilson I've ever laid my hands on. In even nicer classes, I greatly prefer a Colt by Yost or Burton or Rogers.

In hindsight, after having owned several nice 1911s and shot several others and having carried them for many years, a Yost Colt is probably the only one I'd ever pay north of $3000 for again. The one exception I'm considering is a Guncrafter CCO because they're one of the few who offer all steel CCOs with some degree of customization without $$$$$$.

To me, Wilsons are fine enough guns - for about $1500-2000, but there are better options for more money. And I've had very inconsistent luck with their 47D Magazines, having found the all stainless 7rd ones with welded baseplates with rounded metal followers from Metalform to be perfect, to me. The 47Ds from Wilson feel like cheap trash by comparison.

I'm no professional gunfighter, nor even a bona-fide 1911 expert, but I've shot 50,000 or more rounds through them and carried them for 20+ years altogether.

ymmv.

I have a Wilson and a Brown and several colts as well as others. I too think the Brown is a step ahead of Wilson and like it better. The attention to detail on the Brown (aesthetically) is just a step higher....the scallops of the Kobra, etc. However, I would never take a Colt done over by Yost or anyone over a brown.....it still started as a Colt and there is only so much one can do to tighten them up, etc.