SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who still makes a round butt 1911, alloy frame?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who still makes a round butt 1911, alloy frame? Login/Join 
posted
I've been trying to research this and something always messes me up, so I thought I'd ask here.

I bought my buddy's Glock 36 and like it fine, but have always liked the lightweight Commander.

I'm looking for one with an alloy frame, that's rounded off, stainless slide (blackened is fine as long as it's stainless) and commander length. I carry IWB and this is Florida where my sweat eats a firearm's finish like termites eat wood.

I thought Smith still made the 1911SC-E in that configuration, but my local Shoot Straight says they might not be able to find one.

I believe Kimber makes one in the $1500 range (MSRP)but I am not sure about Kimber's reliability.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson and Ed Brown

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson has several alloy framed commander 1911s with round butts. (Dan Wesson is the best bang for the buck in $1000ish 1911s. They're semi-custom guns that are a noticeable step up in quality from standard factory 1911s.)

Their various alloy-framed round butt Commanders aren't available in bare stainless/silver. Instead, they all have stainless steel slides finished with a black Duty Finish coating, which is a fantastic combination that will easily stand up to your sweat.

The Dan Wesson Guardian is a traditional alloy-framed 4.25" Commander Bobtail:
https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/guardian/

The Dan Wesson ECP is a quasi-Commander Bobtail, having a 4" bushingless barrel instead of the traditional 4.25" barrel with bushing:
https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/ecp/

And the Dan Wesson Vigil Commander is another alloy-framed traditional 4.25" Commander with bushing, but it only has a slightly rounded butt, so it's not a true round butt/bobtail frame.
https://danwessonfirearms.com/...uct/vigil-commander/

Or, the Vigil is also offered in a CCO configuration, with an alloy Officer frame and Commander slide, if you'd like the grip to be even shorter and more concealable.
https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/vigil-cco/

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I really like my S&W Performance series.

Photo Feb 04, 11 56 10 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Go with the Dan Wesson guardian. Their finish is superb. Plus of any 1911s in that price range they blow the others away.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for DW, they make multiple models that fit what you are looking for. The new ECP is very nice.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacobscw
posted Hide Post

i prefer these

Posts: 118 | Location: indiana | Registered: March 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a smith lightweight with rounded butt and it works perfect. Carries great.
Where kimber and even sig had trouble with their external extractors, smith did it right.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the DW Guardian and the Smith (probably without the slide cuts). Brown and Wilson are just a bit (or a lot) more than I am willing to pend.

Thank you for all the answers.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I've since sold my KC to a forum member here, but honestly it was one on the most comfortable 1911's in hand to operate. I did however eventually end up selling my 9MM EMP to this member also. One of the things I never enjoyed about operating the EMP was that for the size of my hand (average) the butt always seemed to dig more into my palm when shooting. For extended use here in the South Florida humidity when shooting it started to annoy me. I called the Springfield Custom Shop and they said they could round off the frame butt if I requested. So in addition to some other customizations when I finally sent it into them, they did a great job in rounding the frame off at the butt. Amazing what a difference in shooting it comfortably afterwards. Additionally since, I often went for different front/rear strap treatments for my tastes like opting for the chainlink treatments instead of the traditional checkering in various sizes on custom built 1911's from Nighthawk or Wilson.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
This just came over the wire. Not sure if you have found anything yet.

https://grabagun.com/s-w-1911s...mpaign=Daily%20Email

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks,Nick and all the other posters, too. I have not yet bought one, yet. Pretty seriously thinking of the DW, but this one would work, too.

Thanks again,

Bob

posted Hide Post
Have 2 DW guardians. One in 38 super and one in 9 mm. Both are fantastic out of the box.

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Try FUSION ARMS in VENICE FL they work on my 1911's well the CBOB I have.
One of the gunsmiths is ex DAN WESSON!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cyberphobia,

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2253 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smith “E” series. I have one. Very pleased.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Smith “E” series. I have one. Very pleased.
That E series is very nice wish I had seen one of them 4 weeks ago

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2253 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on a Dan Wesson tear for the past year. If you want an alloy frame, stainless slide, round butt (not bobbed), check out the Vigil commander or discontinued Valkyrie commander. In CCO size (officer frame w/ commander slide), check out the Valkyrie or Vigil CCOs. In officer size, check out the ECO. All are available in 9mm or .45. I have both sizes of Valkyrie and an ECO, all in 9mm in my carry rotation. The Valkyrie commander is my favorite. I've bought most of mine from twogunjay on GunBroker.

Mostly 9mm and .45 ACP:
P226 Enhanced Elite
P938 SAS
P320 Compact w/subcompact grip
P225-A1 two-tone
Bunch of Dan Wessons
Assorted Berettas, CZs, etc.

Posts: 199 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, a couple of points.

The Dan Wesson is a GREAT gun and I highly recommend it. I have their Classic Bobtail and it carries really well. Great trigger out of the box and reliable as a rock.

I had the lightweight S&W and it was a really nice handgun. I am not adverse to recoil as someone fond of the .45 and .40 but the recoil on this gun was severe.

I don't know if they still do it but for $250 Wilson used to turn your regular 1911 into a bobtail. So you could buy any 1911.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post