SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is your experience with Scandium 1911 frames?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your experience with Scandium 1911 frames? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I don't want to hear "something that you read on the internet or heard in a gun store".

I am considering buying an "E Series" S&W 1911 that features everything I want in a 1911 Commander but do not have any experience with Scandium guns.

If you have experience with Scandium guns, I'd like to hear what you think about the SW1911 SC as a carry gun?

Thanks, as always.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Never had a 1911 but had a scandium 357. I didnt care for it. It scratched real easy.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned many. Never a single issue

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I went thru my 1911 phase around 2005 forward , I probably owned 10 different Scandium frame Smiths. Different sizes, different models. Shot the crap out of all of them. Many thousands of rounds collectively. Never any problem. Most of them were black, but I even owned a couple of their earlier silver scandium 1911's that they ended up discontinuing when they started to whittle down the models they offered. I actually saw one of the silver ones in Gunbroker the other day and almost bought it. They are light , reliable , durable pistols. The only one I carried a lot was the 3" Pro. I can't say I holstered and unholstered a ton, but it showed little or no wear except on the rails from shooting. I carried it the same way I do a glock 26. I am also one of the people who thinks the external extractor 1911 is a better design.
If you like the .45 1911, and want to carry one, you cannot go wrong with a Smith scandium

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I owned a S&W 1911 SC, ( two-tone, Commander model with compact frame, ) for a number of years during my 1911 kick. I bought it before the E series came out.

It was great to carry, ( light weight ) but jumped more in recoil. It shot fine and never gave me issues with ball or JHPs. I sold it to a co-worker about a year and a half ago since it was spending most of its time in the safe.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pistol you speak of is my daily carry and has been for several years now. No issues whatsoever, although I wish there were more front sight options for it.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a "billboard" S&W scandium 1911 commander sized. Carried it good bit and shot it even more. Damn fine pistol and I had no fault with it. I was whittling down at one point (raising some cash) and sold it. It is one of those "damn what the hell where you thinking" moments in retrospect. Fit and finish were great, pointed and shot very well. Mine had night sights from the factory that were dead on. I would buy it back if I could find it FWIW.

I missed it enough I finally replaced it in the last year or so with a Dan Wesson Guardian.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
No issues at all with the Scandium frame S&W 1911s. We have two in the family.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Still have my E-series round butt. Snappy bugger, but I suppose I should've realized that when I bought it. Not sure WHY I bought it other than I liked the look and its lightness, though it being a 1911 this Glock guy will never carry it. As for finish and frame wear, since mine is a seldom shot range toy it's still in immaculate condition. Another of our customers bought one of the Performance Center E-series scandiums from us (the one with the slide lightening holes and 'tiger stripe' G10 grip panels); his has not held up quite so well based on the last time I saw it about a year and a half ago. Had a fair number of scratches and scuffs, both to the frame and to the slide. His was his EDC at the time, but started to have problems cycling. We sent it back to S&W for him; haven't seen it again since its return.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had no issues at all with my Scandium frame S&W 1911. But I do take care to keep it well lubed. I disagree with the idea of it being "snappy" to shoot. I find mine pleasant to shoot. Most of my rounds are Speer Lawman 230gn and for HP rounds I use Remington Golden Saber 230 gn. And some Federal EFMJ (The older stuff.). My other 1911s are a SA TRP, V16 Long Slide, Loaded 9mm and a WC Classic.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Never a problem with my Smith Commander with scandium frame. Great pistol.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned one of the E series Scandinavian 1911's for about a year. While it was an attractive gun and very easy to carry, it was not that enjoyable to shoot due to the light weight. I also had difficulty finding a decent front sight but Dawson Precision does make a model to fit. Most all my other 1911's are steel and or alloy /steel and are much easier to shoot, at least for me. My 1911 carry gun is a Colt New Agent with CTC grips. For me it is an ideal solution for my needs.

Posts: 167 | Location: Central Florida-Behind the orange safety cones | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the S&W 1911 Scandium Frame Commander. No problems with the pistol, carries nicely. If you do get one, remember to keep the rails greased well. I personally saw scandium framed 1911's that were not properly greased and showed excess, premature wear. Remember, the frame is still alloy, and the slide steel and grease is your friend IMHO. It has worked well for me for the past 40 years.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot a few rounds through a buddies pistol, I could not tell much difference in recoil.
I personally owned a stainless E series, it was reliable with 0 hiccups.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
My 1911 SC has been 100% reliable and is a fantastic shooter. It’s a bit snappy with +P rounds, but a pleasure to carry.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I have one inbound!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
"Scandium is a soft, light metal that might have applications in the aerospace industry. With a cost of $270 per gram ($122,500 per pound), scandium is too expensive for widespread use."

Your frame is aluminum with a tiny fraction of Scandium, which apparently makes a touch as nails alloy. I have the 340SC, and I freaking love it.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
The early S&W Scandium framed Commander sized 1911's were absolute Jewels !!
I too had one, sold it, and have forever regretted getting rid of it.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tra Vinh
posted Hide Post
I have a PC commander and love it a lots. I only shot 400 rounds thru her, without any noticeable wear on the frame rail. In fact, my P228 frame has more wear on its frame after the first 200 rounds, on the first range trip. It appears to me that the S&W scandium frame is stronger.

Posts: 301 | Location: (30 16' 28.56"N , 97 44' 26.07"W) | Registered: October 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tra Vinh:

That is just like the one I just received. The only thing I may change is to put in a short trigger.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer